Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2024 Baseball Mega Thread

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: 2024 Baseball Mega Thread

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:29 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:26 pm
311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:19 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:14 pm
311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:54 pm
Hard no to Hickory.
If we can go to Southern Illinois in early March we can play in Boone. Attendance has been great in Boone so far. Losing 3 in a row didn't help.
That was a late add to the schedule because of A cancellation so they had no choice but to go there. Other than the coastal game, what’s the average attendance in Boone maybe 400? They should be definitely playing a couple series in Hickory.
Marshall got over 1,000 one game and 850 Friday. Thursday was cold, 450-500. We're averaging 800/game at home.
Sure, Hickory is fine for 1-2 games/series in February but nothing else. The Hickory attendance for Siena was 400 450 and 500...
First off show me the statistics that they’re averaging 800 a game. Capacity is only 1000. Secondly they have not played home for a month. The weather is better.
https://x.com/sunbelt_sports/status/177 ... 3hJ5cku44g

Here you go. Have you watched the games? The hill and seats are packed. High point got 1300. 3 games over 1,000 people so far.
Wonder if the Hickory games are included in the home average number. That would be driving the number down.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:40 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:17 pm
311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:00 pm
hapapp wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:48 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:35 pm
I think we should move them there Play games there most of the time. Hickory has the ability to get on board to support baseball with 4000 people. Boone does not.
I guess, the games then aren't for the students to attend. I doubt we would be able to play rent free in Hickory. I'm three hours away, so it doesn't directly affect me but if I were a student I wouldn't be happy that I would have to drive 45 minutes just to see my team play.
The games in Hickory are poorly attended and that's a weak minor league park. Needs serious improvements and renovations if we're calling that home.
By playing in Hickory, you turn what is usually a 7-8 hour day into a 10 hour day. No player wants that for 7 degrees difference.
So you say 7° difference. But will Travel to away games and make it a 10 to 12 hour day in North Carolina instead of playing in Hickory? Doesn’t make sense to me.
You do understand that you are arguing with a guy (311neers) that actually played baseball for App under Pollard, right? I'd say his perspective as a former player carries a lot of weight.

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:41 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:29 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:26 pm
311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:19 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:14 pm
311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:54 pm
Hard no to Hickory.
If we can go to Southern Illinois in early March we can play in Boone. Attendance has been great in Boone so far. Losing 3 in a row didn't help.
That was a late add to the schedule because of A cancellation so they had no choice but to go there. Other than the coastal game, what’s the average attendance in Boone maybe 400? They should be definitely playing a couple series in Hickory.
Marshall got over 1,000 one game and 850 Friday. Thursday was cold, 450-500. We're averaging 800/game at home.
Sure, Hickory is fine for 1-2 games/series in February but nothing else. The Hickory attendance for Siena was 400 450 and 500...
First off show me the statistics that they’re averaging 800 a game. Capacity is only 1000. Secondly they have not played home for a month. The weather is better.
https://x.com/sunbelt_sports/status/177 ... 3hJ5cku44g

Here you go. Have you watched the games? The hill and seats are packed. High point got 1300. 3 games over 1,000 people so far.
Wonder if the Hickory games are included in the home average number. That would be driving the number down.
So actually yeah thanks for asking. Looking at the official attendance off the box scores we are both wrong. It’s less than averaging 800 but more than my 400.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:42 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:40 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
311neers wrote:
hapapp wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:35 pm
I think we should move them there Play games there most of the time. Hickory has the ability to get on board to support baseball with 4000 people. Boone does not.
I guess, the games then aren't for the students to attend. I doubt we would be able to play rent free in Hickory. I'm three hours away, so it doesn't directly affect me but if I were a student I wouldn't be happy that I would have to drive 45 minutes just to see my team play.
The games in Hickory are poorly attended and that's a weak minor league park. Needs serious improvements and renovations if we're calling that home.
By playing in Hickory, you turn what is usually a 7-8 hour day into a 10 hour day. No player wants that for 7 degrees difference.
So you say 7° difference. But will Travel to away games and make it a 10 to 12 hour day in North Carolina instead of playing in Hickory? Doesn’t make sense to me.
You do understand that you are arguing with a guy (311neers) that actually played baseball for App under Pollard, right? I'd say his perspective as a former player carries a lot of weight.
So I’m gonna try not to be a smart ass here. But yes, I am a former Division I baseball player myself and a know little bit or two about the program. So that’s my two cents worth. Thanks for your perspective but continue on.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:48 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:42 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
311neers wrote:
hapapp wrote:

So I’m gonna try not to be a smart ass here. But yes, I am a former Division I baseball player myself and a little bit or two about the program. So that’s my two cents worth thanks for your perspective, buddy
Yeah, but my recollection is that you played elsewhere, right (If I am mistaken, my apologies)? You are arguing about the benefits of moving home games down to Hickory and the guy that actually played for us is explaining one of many reasons that that is not a good idea. He played here and his teams did well despite playing in Boone. This isn't a question about knowledge of baseball or even App's program, it is whether moving home games down to Hickory is a good idea. Former player says no, I tend to agree for various other reasons. Just wanted to make sure you knew who you were sparring with, clearly you do. Carry on.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:51 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:48 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
311neers wrote:

So I’m gonna try not to be a smart ass here. But yes, I am a former Division I baseball player myself and a little bit or two about the program. So that’s my two cents worth thanks for your perspective, buddy
Yeah, but my recollection is that you played elsewhere, right (If I am mistaken, my apologies)? You are arguing about the benefits of moving home games down to Hickory and the guy that actually played for us is explaining one of many reasons that that is not a good idea. He played here and his teams did well despite playing in Boone. This isn't a question about knowledge of baseball or even App's program, it is whether moving home games down to Hickory is a good idea. Former player says no, I tend to agree for various other reasons. Just wanted to make sure you knew who you were sparring with, clearly you do. Carry on.
Again, I’m trying not to be a smart ass about this but 311 knows. Carry-on, good sir.

311 could you let us know what years you played if I remember you said around 2013-ish?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:57 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
311neers wrote:

I understand playing a few games in Hickory as “Home” games early on due to weather and if we can’t draw a team to Boone, we settle for neutral in Hickory (like Wake in Shelby or Queens in Kannapolis). But I just don’t think Hickory should be our everyday Home base. It would do more harm than good for the Players IMO.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:59 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:57 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:

I understand playing a few games in Hickory as “Home” games early on due to weather and if we can’t draw a team to Boone, we settle for neutral in Hickory (like Wake in Shelby or Queens in Kannapolis). But I just don’t think Hickory should be our everyday Home base. It would do more harm than good for the Players IMO.
If you and T4 would look back at my post, I don’t want it as a homebase. I just think they should play more series there.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:02 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:59 pm
311neers wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:

If you and T4 would look back at my post, I don’t want it as a homebase. I just think they should play more series there.
You replied, “great idea, I love it,” to spacemonkey’s suggestion to make Hickory the homebase for baseball.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:03 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:02 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:59 pm
311neers wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:

You replied, “great idea, I love it,” to spacemonkey’s suggestion to make Hickory the homebase for baseball.
I know that was totally my mistake. I thought he meant to play more games down there for softball and baseball.

No reason to have a homebase down there when you have one up in Boone. Charlotte games are awesome. Would love to see them play the 49ers but I can guarantee the 49ers are not coming up to In February. But I bet you if you did a home and “home” at Hickory they’d be there.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:09 pm

So instead of going back-and-forth with you guys, I’m just gonna pose a question. Since they don’t play up there until mid March, what is the answer then? If you don’t want them playing at Hickory, what do you do? Weather is so unpredictable up on the mountain, they don’t have many choices. Can’t have it both ways

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:23 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:09 pm
So instead of going back-and-forth with you guys, I’m just gonna pose a question. Since they don’t play up there until mid March, what is the answer then? If you don’t want them playing at Hickory, what do you do? Weather is so unpredictable up on the mountain, they don’t have many choices. Can’t have it both ways
I think all of us are saying the same thing. Play a few games in Hickory as home games due to cold weather in Feb/early March. The agreeance with Spacemonkey threw us for a loop on moving the whole program to Hickory and playing all home games there.

Is Hickory still in use as a minor league park? It needs renovations and I doubt we can afford that/it’s not worth it as we only play 3-5 games there a year.
Hickory used to be a decent stadium, but now you’ve got Charlotte, Kannapolis, High Point and Gastonia with all brand new ballparks.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:58 pm

Dome. Problem solved.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:20 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:58 pm
Dome. Problem solved.
Would be APPsolutely awesome if the new indoor, if that’s still a thing, could hold baseball games. Why is this not being discussed? Too expensive? Should be enough room if softball and a 60 yard can currently fit on it. Maybe not. Probably can’t go high enough for baseball with a roof.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:24 pm

I am a "Happy Appy" that loves Boone NC. I have a place in Linville and am in no way saying Boone doesn't deserve App baseball. However, I think Hickory is a huge opportunity to take on ECU and UNCC. WE NEED TO EMBRACE HICKORY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I think it would be strategic to get Hickory locals thinking App as their college. I can see the medical school in Hickory, a law school in Hickory and a path to 35000 AppState students with 15,000 in Hickory. We need the power Hickory provides.

I think lending the Baseball team to Hickory to build the love for AppState being a win win for everyone. It is just a thought.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:10 pm

FWIW, Marshall has a brand-new on-campus field. Previously they either played at the local YMCA field (no joke) or went 45 minutes to Charleston (where App played last year).

More series in Hickory isn't going to magically increase the win total.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:17 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:10 pm
FWIW, Marshall has a brand-new on-campus field. Previously they either played at the local YMCA field (no joke) or went 45 minutes to Charleston (where App played last year).

More series in Hickory isn't going to magically increase the win total.
You just came out of left field no pun intended. Nobody saying they’re going to get more wins if they play Hickory.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:56 am

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:17 pm
Nobody saying they’re going to get more wins if they play Hickory.
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:18 pm
spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:14 pm
I am going to be a broken record on this. We need to make Hickory the home of our baseball program....and maybe softball and Golf. They can still play games in Boone but headquartered out of Hickory.
Great idea - still cold I get it. I love App and the mountain. Love everything about the University but it's not condusive for spring baseball.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:03 am

Queens - 360
Coastal Game One - 835
Coastal DH - 1,135
Marshall Game One - 361
Marshall Game Two - 586
Marshall Game Three - 1,027
High Point - 1,296

Averaging 800 a game. Queens midweek was during spring break and Marshall Game One on a Thursday was fridigly cold.

Hickory series attendendes was 366, 432 and 509.

I'd rather wait til we actually start utilizing the second floor of the Hickory building before talking about moving spring sports down there to play second fiddle to a Low A minor league team.

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:41 am

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:03 am
Queens - 360
Coastal Game One - 835
Coastal DH - 1,135
Marshall Game One - 361
Marshall Game Two - 586
Marshall Game Three - 1,027
High Point - 1,296

Averaging 800 a game. Queens midweek was during spring break and Marshall Game One on a Thursday was fridigly cold.

Hickory series attendendes was 366, 432 and 509.

I'd rather wait til we actually start utilizing the second floor of the Hickory building before talking about moving spring sports down there to play second fiddle to a Low A minor league team.
At the beginning of this conversation, the main point of my post was focused on the difficulty to get enough quality arms to consistently compete year in and out. We then went off on different tangents. My original thought was not about attendance. It is much more difficult to pitch in cold weather then it is in warmer weather obviously. 5–10° makes a difference for a pitcher. Having feeling in your fingertips to control your pitches makes a difference. Colder weather makes the ball more slick which leads to flatter/non productive spin on pitches. It leads to placing the ball deeper in your hand for better grip which produces less movement and IMO leading to more stress on ligaments and muscles. Believe it or not pitchers like a little moisture on their fingers. All these little nuances, etc are what make pitching all about feel.

And as I said, in the beginning of the thread. It’s not that the prospects don’t like the university itself. It’s just a tough sell when there’s same level Places with better weather and facilities.

Now I realize that budget Is a huge factor when it comes to the baseball team. It seems like most of their budget goes towards Sunbelt travel but they are on the road for the first month of the season and there’s a reason for that. I just think that playing at Hickory for a couple more home series is a good idea. Not one time did I mention Hickory = more wins

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”