Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Early season tournaments / scheduling

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Early season tournaments / scheduling

Unread post by biggie » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:56 pm

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:35 am

William Peace - DIII
Hartford - Transitioning to DIII from DI
Boyce - DII
Erskine - DII

Six non-conference home games; four of them are, or soon will be, less than DI. This is not the way to build interest in the basketball program.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:05 am

appst89 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:35 am
William Peace - DIII
Boyce - DII
Erskine - DII

Six non-conference home games; four of them are, or soon will be, less than DI. This is not the way to build interest in the basketball program.
Half full or Half Empty:

You open at Iona, who has been to the Dance 5 out of the last 6 years. We have games against Charlotte and ETSU at home, which could draw great crowds (COVID-pending). We play at Furman, which has been competitive and is a drivable game for those alumni in the UpState and Charlotte markets. We have a tourney in South Florida (Rice, Evansville, Vermont, Oakland, Akron, Fordham and Delaware) And, there's those trips to Cameron and the Dean Dome, which our two of the highest profile games in recent memory.

Sure, we'd prefer not to play D3 games, but Kearns may be balancing the schedule a little.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:10 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:05 am
appst89 wrote:
William Peace - DIII
Boyce - DII
Erskine - DII

Half full or Half Empty:

You open at Iona, who has been to the Dance 5 out of the last 6 years. We have games against Charlotte and ETSU at home, which could draw great crowds (COVID-pending). We play at Furman, which has been competitive and is a drivable game for those alumni in the UpState and Charlotte markets. We have a tourney in South Florida (Rice, Evansville, Vermont, Oakland, Akron, Fordham and Delaware) And, there's those trips to Cameron and the Dean Dome, which our two of the highest profile games in recent memory.

Sure, we'd prefer not to play D3 games, but Kearns may be balancing the schedule a little.
I don't think he is dogging the entire schedule, just the home portion. It is good to have Charlotte and ETSU coming to Boone but otherwise the non-con sked is pretty similar to year's past.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:11 am

WASU 93 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
William Peace - DIII
Boyce - DII
Erskine - DII

Half full or Half Empty:

The overall schedule is not bad, but the discussion on this board for years has been about how we get the students to consistently come to games in Holmes. This isn't it.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:35 am

appst89 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:11 am
WASU 93 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
William Peace - DIII
Boyce - DII
Erskine - DII

Half full or Half Empty:

The overall schedule is not bad, but the discussion on this board for years has been about how we get the students to consistently come to games in Holmes. This isn't it.
I get your point. But, what games would draw students?
I'm not sure that the teams matter to students (outside of an ACC opponent) in regards to attendance. My thought is that you either go to the games for the fun and atmosphere or your don't. If you replaced the D3 with UNC-Greensboro, UNC-Wilmington, Liberty, Marshall, James Madison, Middle Tennessee State, etc. would it impact student attendance?
This schedule may affect alumni and general public interest more.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:41 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:35 am
appst89 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
William Peace - DIII
Boyce - DII
Erskine - DII

Half full or Half Empty:

I'm not sure that the teams matter to students (outside of an ACC opponent) in regards to attendance. My thought is that you either go to the games for the fun and atmosphere or your don't. If you replaced the D3 with UNC-Greensboro, UNC-Wilmington, Liberty, Marshall, James Madison, Middle Tennessee State, etc. would it impact student attendance?
It's a great question, and I don't know if I know either. But we've seen this type of home schedule before and we know what attendance numbers have been. Trying something different can't hurt.

For the sake of analysis, we should compare the attendance for UNCC and ETSU to all the other home games, and pay particular attention to the number of students in attendance. The student number may just be based on eyeballing the crowd, but that should give some indication as to whether the opponent matters.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:24 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:41 am
WASU 93 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:35 am
appst89 wrote:
WASU 93 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
William Peace - DIII
Boyce - DII
Erskine - DII

Half full or Half Empty:

It's a great question, and I don't know if I know either. But we've seen this type of home schedule before and we know what attendance numbers have been. Trying something different can't hurt.

For the sake of analysis, we should compare the attendance for UNCC and ETSU to all the other home games, and pay particular attention to the number of students in attendance. The student number may just be based on eyeballing the crowd, but that should give some indication as to whether the opponent matters.
I agree. Fortunately, we have one of those games as a lead in to a Football home game and the other is on a Thursday night , pre-Thanksgiving.
Hopefully, the success of last season will spur an increase in attendance from both students and alumni. It only takes a few rowdy crowds coupled with some wins to improve the home atmosphere.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:53 am

Looking back over past couple decades it feels like one of our better schedules. It'll be a fun November, wild to believe the season is just 56 days away!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:28 pm

So we get to be a part of the “Pat me on the back and tell me how great I am” Mike Krzyzewski victory tour?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:05 am

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:28 pm
So we get to be a part of the “Pat me on the back and tell me how great I am” Mike Krzyzewski victory tour?
You are not required to participate.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:17 pm

The plan is to repeat 1981.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”