Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

So basically the entire team wants out? How bad is this program? That's a very serious question. We were good this year. Next year could have been next level. We were already receiving votes. And basically the ENTIRE team wants out. There needs to be some answers.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm
So basically the entire team wants out? How bad is this program? That's a very serious question. We were good this year. Next year could have been next level. We were already receiving votes. And basically the ENTIRE team wants out. There needs to be some answers.

All I can say is we are not alone..... the whole conference is having Portal problems.... like the Mexico border 😉

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:

All I can say is we are not alone..... the whole conference is having Portal problems.... like the Mexico border 😉
Ride or die Sun Belt may have been a mistake. One of many.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:

Ride or die Sun Belt may have been a mistake. One of many.
In football the Sun Belt has proven to be a much better place than CUSA and we had nowhere else to go that I am aware of. Nobody is perfect but I am glad we are in the Sun Belt. All G5 in football and mid-majors in basketball are dealing with portal losses. I actually take this as the coaches in the league have done such a good job of finding talent that power programs are trying to poach many of them.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Good Grief Chicken Little...the sky is not falling... although it seems some want it to it appears
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

No. Given his body of work, and his starting point, Kerns should make at least as much as Clark. He doesn't. After making the NCAAs, the athletic department sould have pushed season tickets. They didn't. We had a group of guys who seemed to really like each other and now basically they have all left when they could have been really good next season. So, no, I don't have faith in the athletic's administration.
Thank you acknowledging this. This explains a lot.
You're quite welcome. I didn't know my frustration with Gillin since the end of the 2019 football season was a secret. The thing about you that I really don't get is why my position is so unacceptable to you.
I honestly don’t care what your position on anything is. I am only interested in understanding why you have the opinion that you do. This allows me to gauge the origin of yours or anyone’s position to adequately apply the correct amount of credence. In your case, you seem to be so entrenched in your disdain for the current administration that I don’t feel that you are capable of accepting facts that refute your position. You have proven that over and over. I honestly don’t care if Doug kicked your wife or peed on your dog, or vice versa. There is a blind hatred that doesn’t allow you to be open to facts. That is all. Have a fantastic day. God bless.
You call me a troll for expressing my opinion. If you want to understand my perspective on Gillin over the past several years (none of this is new), here it is:

I think Clark was a lazy hire given where football was after 2019. Extending Clark made absolutely no sense to me. Getting rid of men's soccer looked like a move to appear fiscally responsible. Promises made (or whatever you want to call them) about East side expansion were irresponsible (and you definitely cosigned that here). Kerns has not gotten support. Only coach to win a conference title, a tournament title, take us to the NCAAs and the NIT. I think a contract should have been done a while ago. And if Kerns turned an offer down, let App Nation know. I think Gillin has wanted out since 2020 and has done things (see above) to make me think that. I'm entitled to my opinion and have expressed it. You are entitled to yours. Personally, I think you owe a mea culpa on the stadium expansion. But whatever.

Agree or disagree, maybe you can leave my wife out of our disagreement?
I’ll add getting rid of men’s soccer ( largest growing sport in the world) instead of wrestling (which is a dying sport.)

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

Yes, let's get rid of wrestling...where we dominate...and have decent to good fan support...
When we had Futbol, who showed up to watch?
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Today I give my all , to whoever is writing the checks…

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm
Yes, let's get rid of wrestling...where we dominate...and have decent to good fan support...
Consistently ranked and beating other top 25 programs.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
There’s only like 70 something D1 wrestling teams left for obvious reasons . Hell they don’t even have wrestling in the Olympics anymore for obvious reason.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm
There’s only like 70 something D1 wrestling teams left for obvious reasons . Hell they don’t even have wrestling in the Olympics anymore for obvious reason.
It got removed, but then the wrestling governing body added weight classes for women and got added right back in without missing a single Olympics. Plus, women's wrestling is gaining traction in both North Carolina and the NCAA.

But yeah, dying sport. :roll:

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

Thank you acknowledging this. This explains a lot.
You're quite welcome. I didn't know my frustration with Gillin since the end of the 2019 football season was a secret. The thing about you that I really don't get is why my position is so unacceptable to you.
I honestly don’t care what your position on anything is. I am only interested in understanding why you have the opinion that you do. This allows me to gauge the origin of yours or anyone’s position to adequately apply the correct amount of credence. In your case, you seem to be so entrenched in your disdain for the current administration that I don’t feel that you are capable of accepting facts that refute your position. You have proven that over and over. I honestly don’t care if Doug kicked your wife or peed on your dog, or vice versa. There is a blind hatred that doesn’t allow you to be open to facts. That is all. Have a fantastic day. God bless.
You call me a troll for expressing my opinion. If you want to understand my perspective on Gillin over the past several years (none of this is new), here it is:

I think Clark was a lazy hire given where football was after 2019. Extending Clark made absolutely no sense to me. Getting rid of men's soccer looked like a move to appear fiscally responsible. Promises made (or whatever you want to call them) about East side expansion were irresponsible (and you definitely cosigned that here). Kerns has not gotten support. Only coach to win a conference title, a tournament title, take us to the NCAAs and the NIT. I think a contract should have been done a while ago. And if Kerns turned an offer down, let App Nation know. I think Gillin has wanted out since 2020 and has done things (see above) to make me think that. I'm entitled to my opinion and have expressed it. You are entitled to yours. Personally, I think you owe a mea culpa on the stadium expansion. But whatever.

Agree or disagree, maybe you can leave my wife out of our disagreement?
I’ll add getting rid of men’s soccer ( largest growing sport in the world) instead of wrestling (which is a dying sport.)
Problem with that argument is that it has been years since App soccer was a top flight team whereas our Wrestling team is in the top 25 of the country. Not even comparable success levels in recent years, and by recent I mean since I attended App starting in 1988, so not really recent. Not saying I think getting rid of soccer was a good idea but if it was between that and wrestling, clearly they made the right choice.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
Wrestling is in the Olympics. The reason there are so few teams in Division 1 now is because of title IX. We have a really good wrestling program, no need for this type of negativity. One could make a very strong argument that Wrestling is actually our best, most competitive program in all of our sports.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
Wrestling is in the Olympics. The reason there are so few teams in Division 1 now is because of title IX. We have a really good wrestling program, no need for this type of negativity. One could make a very strong argument that Wrestling is actually our best, most competitive program in all of our sports.
Well I wasn’t being negative just stating the facts thanks. If Money was the issue then I certainly think wrestling would have saved far more. I have nothing against wrestling just pointing it out.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
Well I wasn’t being negative just stating the facts thanks. If Money was the issue then I certainly think wrestling would have saved far more. I have nothing against wrestling just pointing it out.

Agreed. If money was an issue I just don’t see soccer being the answer. We do have some support in wrestling but it’s not a growing sport. Soccer is and will continue to grow. Alumni can continue to play it after graduation in all kinds of Rec. leagues. Wrestling, not so much. I believe the truth of the matter is that wrestling should have been the sport cut IF a sport had to go.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

I don't know the numbers but I imagine soccer actually costs more than wrestling.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

I know at one time wrestling made a lot of money through camps.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
It got removed, but then the wrestling governing body added weight classes for women and got added right back in without missing a single Olympics. Plus, women's wrestling is gaining traction in both North Carolina and the NCAA.

Not to mention wrestling is a hell of a lot more exciting than watching paint dry in futbol

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm
T-Dog wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:

Not to mention wrestling is a hell of a lot more exciting than watching paint dry in futbol
Some people prefer sweaty dudes in awkward positions over the beautiful game. Cool.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm
T-Dog wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:

Some people prefer sweaty dudes in awkward positions over the beautiful game. Cool.
Lmao

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”