War Eggles/Plainsmen

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: War Eggles/Plainsmen

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:23 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:55 am
We had that solid lead in the last few minutes but didn't gag it away. If you'd taken a poll of even the most optimistic App fans most would have thought Auburn hits some shots, we turn the ball over a few times or choke at the line. Nope

Perhaps we have us a hoops team!
It was exciting and we won ..would have liked to see better execution against the zone. We may not have prepared for it if Auburn has not played zone all year. But seems this is a preseason idea. We seemed to be just standing around and one guy dribble penetration...which is not textbook offense for a zone. If we would have executed that better, we may have won by double digits. With that said, super stoked we got the win against a team in the SEC. I hope Auburn ends up near the top so it is a good win at the end of the year as it is now
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:59 am

Excited for the current students. I graduated in 2007, we got the tail end of some good basketball then (deep SOCON tournament runs and such) but man this will really electrify the students.

I worked at App Ski Mountain for 3 years so I missed a lot of games. This win would've had me calling in sick a few more times during the season.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:11 am

DK inherited a mess five years ago. He’s done one heck of a job.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:34 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:59 am
Excited for the current students. I graduated in 2007, we got the tail end of some good basketball then (deep SOCON tournament runs and such) but man this will really electrify the students.

I worked at App Ski Mountain for 3 years so I missed a lot of games. This win would've had me calling in sick a few more times during the season.
Hope the students realize how good they have it. We made the NCAA tourney one year while I was in, but there wasn't really that much interest in basketball and not too much with football in my 5.5 years. Work cut into my going to basketball games as well, including App Ski Mtn the final year.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:59 am

Just pulled up the mid major poll. Honestly I've never looked at that and it's a bit ridiculous in that there is (like P5 and G5) another arbitrary dividing line for schools. That being said how is UNCW ranked 9th after a 30 point beat down by us? Western is ranked as well. I put zero stock in any basketball poll until after 12-15 games are played. Teams change way too much over about a month or so.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:01 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:59 am
Just pulled up the mid major poll. Honestly I've never looked at that and it's a bit ridiculous in that there is (like P5 and G5) another arbitrary dividing line for schools. That being said how is UNCW ranked 9th after a 30 point beat down by us? Western is ranked as well. I put zero stock in any basketball poll until after 12-15 games are played. Teams change way too much over about a month or so.
I guess its because UNCW knocked off #12 Kentucky this weekend?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:24 am

A poll we start here would be as relevant.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:31 pm

Appears Auburn still gets 21 votes in coaches poll?

MountainMan2020

Unread post by MountainMan2020 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:09 am

biggie wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:34 am
APPdiesel wrote:

Hope the students realize how good they have it. We made the NCAA tourney one year while I was in, but there wasn't really that much interest in basketball and not too much with football in my 5.5 years. Work cut into my going to basketball games as well, including App Ski Mtn the final year.
If you’re referring to the tournament appearance in 2000, then you would be wrong. Men’s BB in Buzz’s first time around was rolling and Varsity Gym (which I think was around 7-8K capacity) was jammed for many of those games. I was there then also and UNCC home win (I think they were #16) and Davidson games were great. If I remember correctly, we hosted Georgia and lost on last shot by Tubbys kid and also Ga Tech 1-2 years before that. We had a terrible draw in the 1st round and Ohio State couldn’t miss.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:50 am

MountainMan2020 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:09 am
biggie wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

If you’re referring to the tournament appearance in 2000, then you would be wrong. Men’s BB in Buzz’s first time around was rolling and Varsity Gym (which I think was around 7-8K capacity) was jammed for many of those games. I was there then also and UNCC home win (I think they were #16) and Davidson games were great. If I remember correctly, we hosted Georgia and lost on last shot by Tubbys kid and also Ga Tech 1-2 years before that. We had a terrible draw in the 1st round and Ohio State couldn’t miss.
I did go to that UNCC game and remember it was packed. But rarely got to another game and didn’t hear much from others on bb at that time. Good to hear there was some excitement. It just seems to drop off quickly in Boone without constant wins.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:30 am

Longrifle28 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:01 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:59 am
I guess its because UNCW knocked off #12 Kentucky this weekend?
I'm sure you're right on that. So whoever puts this one together kind of ignores other games and only goes by recent successes? Again, it's really irrelevant.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:16 am

biggie wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:50 am
MountainMan2020 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:09 am
biggie wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I did go to that UNCC game and remember it was packed. But rarely got to another game and didn’t hear much from others on bb at that time. Good to hear there was some excitement. It just seems to drop off quickly in Boone without constant wins.
Varsity needed to be replaced, but I think the location helped attendance during my time at App (88-93). We were usually the 3rd or 4th best team in the SoCon, but averaged 3-4K and Marshall and ETSU would pack Varsity to the rafters.
But, we would grab dinner at the Food Court next door and head into the game. The library was next to Varsity at the time and the longest on campus walk was from Doughton or the dorms at the stadium lot. Obviously, we didn't have the Internet back then, but 1/4 of the student body was at the basketball games.

For whatever reason, after exhibition games, we played full D1 schedules every year with no D2 or Juco fillers.

Football was a different story. Half the students left at halftime and we had a SoCon Championship and three runner-up seasons during that time.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:25 am

I was at App from '82-'86. Went to many a game at Varsity. Like some said we were right beside the cafeteria or the BI and could hit those delicious haunts before or after games. If memory serves we had some huge crowds for many games.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:46 am

The Cremins era was as good of an atmosphere, limited only by size of the arena, as anywhere. Varsity could have been renovated and brought up to what was needed but other decisions were made obviously. Might not have been the best decisions.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:30 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:46 am
The Cremins era was as good of an atmosphere, limited only by size of the arena, as anywhere. Varsity could have been renovated and brought up to what was needed but other decisions were made obviously. Might not have been the best decisions.
Could we logistically host a game in Varsity? Haven't been inside Varsity since 2014. I'd like to see a couple games be played there as it is the center of campus and could be a really nice student environment. Other universities have spent some money renovating historic gyms as such and playing games at those venues.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:43 am

Still remember going to Varsity to do my drop-add schedule changes and played some (mostly bad) intramural basketball there. Hard to imagine these days using an arena for normal stuff like that. Long time ago indeed.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:30 pm

311neers wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:30 am
Stonewall wrote:
Could we logistically host a game in Varsity? Haven't been inside Varsity since 2014. I'd like to see a couple games be played there as it is the center of campus and could be a really nice student environment. Other universities have spent some money renovating historic gyms as such and playing games at those venues.
https://appstatesports.com/facilities/varsity-gym/2
I'd say no.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:54 pm

Not sure I get desire to have a game in Varsity when Holmes is right down the street. This different than somewhere like NC State. For every game, the students have to drive, take a bus, etc. to get to PNC for the game. As such, I see a reason to have a game or two in Reynolds if an easy opponent that students may not attend unless on campus. My personal opinion is that, from strict fan perspective, that State wishes the facility was on campus... Holmes is basically on campus..so, no need...just my opinion
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:02 pm

Stonewall wrote:
100% correct

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:06 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:30 pm
311neers wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:30 am
Stonewall wrote:
https://appstatesports.com/facilities/varsity-gym/2
I'd say no.
Hope those photos aren't current. We at least need to get some better lighting in there for other programs. Hope we have funds set aside for improving the interior of Varsity, Wrestling deserves better.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”