Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The last time App went to the tournament ______

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: The last time App went to the tournament ______

Unread post by Rick83 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:33 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:47 pm
Rick83 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:14 am
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:11 pm
havefunkc wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:19 am
MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) did not exist... Think Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Avengers, etc... The first movie of MCU was
Some movie geek stuff:

Kevin Feige was a young coffee runner sent over to FOX studios by Marvel Comics to keep an eye on the studio's new X-Men project. No one at Marvel, FOX, or Sony was listening to him shout about how all the Marvel property films should be set in a shared universe.

Comic book superhero movies hadn't become the dominate force at the box office yet. That really began with X-Men which would be released later that summer, and first Spiderman two years later.

There were only 3 Harry Potter books in stores and no movies released.

We were still hoping new Star Wars movies would not be aweful, despite the recent disaster that was The Phantom Menace. Little did we know there would be 7 more SW movies in the future and they would all be, for the most part, bad.

And finally, the release of the first part of greatest achievement in filmmaking, The Lord of the Rings, was still a year and a half away.
The Marvel Universe stuff is totally awesome but I beg to differ on the "7 more SW movies in the future and they would all be, for the most part, bad." In my opinion 3 of the 7 were bad (chapters 1-3), 1 was just OK (Solo), and the other 4 (chapters 7-9 & Rogue One) were actually pretty good. I love the new characters of Finn, Rey, and BB8 in chapters 7 - 8.
Not a fan of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings...kept falling asleep in those movies...
I think Rogue One was the best of all the Star Wars. Had a good ending. Then again I am more of a Star Trek person.
Rogue One is excellent and tells the backstory perfectly for Chapter 4 (first movie released). It's a little confusing at first the way they jump around but the characters all mesh and the story is strong.
I was a teenager when the first movie came out and was hooked...so for me chapters 4-6, Rogue One, chapters 7-9, then Solo would be my order of favorites. Chapters 1-3 don't even make the list.
I too, love Star Trek, at least the original series and Next Generation...haven't really watched the other series. Also, the 3 latest Star Trek movies, the ones with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto are excellent...especially the first one.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:17 am

Rick83 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:33 am
Rick83 wrote:
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
havefunkc wrote:
MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) did not exist... Think Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Avengers, etc... The first movie of MCU was
Some movie geek stuff:

Kevin Feige was a young coffee runner sent over to FOX studios by Marvel Comics to keep an eye on the studio's new X-Men project. No one at Marvel, FOX, or Sony was listening to him shout about how all the Marvel property films should be set in a shared universe.

Comic book superhero movies hadn't become the dominate force at the box office yet. That really began with X-Men which would be released later that summer, and first Spiderman two years later.

We were still hoping new Star Wars movies would not be aweful, despite the recent disaster that was The Phantom Menace. Little did we know there would be 7 more SW movies in the future and they would all be, for the most part, bad.

And finally, the release of the first part of greatest achievement in filmmaking, The Lord of the Rings, was still a year and a half away.
The Marvel Universe stuff is totally awesome but I beg to differ on the "7 more SW movies in the future and they would all be, for the most part, bad." In my opinion 3 of the 7 were bad (chapters 1-3), 1 was just OK (Solo), and the other 4 (chapters 7-9 & Rogue One) were actually pretty good. I love the new characters of Finn, Rey, and BB8 in chapters 7 - 8.
Not a fan of Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings...kept falling asleep in those movies...
I think Rogue One was the best of all the Star Wars. Had a good ending. Then again I am more of a Star Trek person.
Rogue One is excellent and tells the backstory perfectly for Chapter 4 (first movie released). It's a little confusing at first the way they jump around but the characters all mesh and the story is strong.
I was a teenager when the first movie came out and was hooked...so for me chapters 4-6, Rogue One, chapters 7-9, then Solo would be my order of favorites. Chapters 1-3 don't even make the list.
I too, love Star Trek, at least the original series and Next Generation...haven't really watched the other series. Also, the 3 latest Star Trek movies, the ones with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto are excellent...especially the first one.
I am doing a complete watch through in orde of air date basically of all of Star Trek. I am about 5/8 the way through after about three years in to this. I am watching all the edits (TOS original and remastered for example) and versions and then listening to the commentary tracks.

I’ll watch the new streaming shows in about a year. I have watched a few Lower Decks and they are both a great parody and a loving homage to the live action shows.

I am not crazy about the Kelvin timeline movies though I really did enjoy the last movie ST: Beyond.

You should give Deep Space 9 a try if you like the recent movies.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:41 am

Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:17 am
Rick83 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:
AppfaninCAALand wrote:

Some movie geek stuff:

DS9 was a great series! It took a season or two for the characters to completely develop, but the last few seasons (war with the Dominion) was excellent. Once Sisko shaved his head, it marked the series hitting full stride (my opinion).

Regarding Star Wars, I didn't had 1-3 as much as most folks seem to but I wouldn't argue that they are at the bottom of the "best of the franchise" list.
I am doing a complete watch through in orde of air date basically of all of Star Trek. I am about 5/8 the way through after about three years in to this. I am watching all the edits (TOS original and remastered for example) and versions and then listening to the commentary tracks.

I’ll watch the new streaming shows in about a year. I have watched a few Lower Decks and they are both a great parody and a loving homage to the live action shows.

I am not crazy about the Kelvin timeline movies though I really did enjoy the last movie ST: Beyond.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:18 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:41 am
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:17 am
Rick83 wrote:
Rick83 wrote:

DS9 was a great series! It took a season or two for the characters to completely develop, but the last few seasons (war with the Dominion) was excellent. Once Sisko shaved his head, it marked the series hitting full stride (my opinion).

Regarding Star Wars, I didn't had 1-3 as much as most folks seem to but I wouldn't argue that they are at the bottom of the "best of the franchise" list.

The _________ (awesomeness or tremendous nerdiness) of watching all of Star Trek left you speechless I see.

Take your pick on the fill in the blank Personally I would go with awesome :-)

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:00 am

Evel Freaking Knievel was still alive.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:20 am

Rick83 wrote:
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
havefunkc wrote:
Some movie geek stuff:

I know a lot of folks liked Rogue One, and that's great for them. But I did not like it at all. I have tried to watch it multiple times but after the first time in the theater, I haven't be able sit through more than 20 minutes. It seemed like an overblown and boring fan film, with flat, unmemorable characters (I could not remember any of their names without looking them up) and a predictable plot. The Force Awakens was ok due to potential threads and stories it set up, but then when subsequent films were such a let down, TFA dropped in my eyes.

The best modern SW is Dave Filoni's TV stuff: The Clone Wars, Rebels, and The Mandalorian. And even those are plagued with far too many uninspired or wheel-spinning filler episodes (less of a problem with The Mandalorian as there are so fewer episodes). All three are saved a some great 2-4 episode story arcs and memorable characters. Regarding the two cartoons, you could take the best 20 or so episodes and turn them into a great limited series.

I was never really a Trek fan, but I did really enjoy a few of the old movies (2 and 6, and less so 4) and Deep Space Nine. My favorite Trek film is actually GalaxyQuest. :D
Last edited by AppfaninCAALand on Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:26 am

The Simpsons was not just chuckle here and there funny but laugh so hard one's stomach would ache funny.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:20 am
Rick83 wrote:
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
havefunkc wrote:
Some movie geek stuff:

I know a lot of folks liked Rogue One, and that's great for them. But I did not like it at all. I have tried to watch it multiple times but after the first time in the theater, I haven't be able sit through more than 20 minutes. It seemed like an overblown and boring fan film, with flat, unmemorable characters (I could not remember any of their names without looking them up) and a predictable plot. The Force Awakens was ok due to potential threads and stories it set up, but then when subsequent films were such a let down, TFA dropped in my eyes.

I was never really a Trek fan, but I did really enjoy a few of the old movies (2 and 6) and Deep Space Nine.
If you are going to mention movies 2 and 6 you MUST mention 4 as well. 7 is also good for the TNG movies.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:45 am

Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 am
AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:20 am
Rick83 wrote:
AppfaninCAALand wrote:

Some movie geek stuff:

I was never really a Trek fan, but I did really enjoy a few of the old movies (2 and 6) and Deep Space Nine.
If you are going to mention movies 2 and 6 you MUST mention 4 as well. 7 is also good for the TNG movies.
While you were posting this, I was editing my prior post. I did add 4, though I liked it a bit less. 6 was my favorite Trek film - it was so fitting as an allegory for the times it was made (Chernobyl, the fall of the Soviet Union).

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:49 am

Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:26 am
The Simpsons was not just chuckle here and there funny but laugh so hard one's stomach would ache funny.
It really was funny in the old days. I've been rewatching some of the older 90s Simpsons on Disney+ and they are still laugh so hard to the point of crying funny.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:08 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:49 am
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:26 am
It really was funny in the old days. I've been rewatching some of the older 90s Simpsons on Disney+ and they are still laugh so hard to the point of crying funny.
I am not sure if this is the funniest scene even in the Simpsons but it is top 3 at least. YouTube edits always leave off the beginning of the scene were he has helium balloons that he trades for the cherry picker which is also funny.

After all of this his reply, "just walk it off" while he has tire marks ON this head just kills me every time I watch it.

This scene is also right at the end of the 90s.

The entire "Behind the Laughter" first aired in May after our last trip to the dance so from a creative standpoint it was also likely near completion before our tournament appearance. As an episode that may have been their high water mark, but can only work as humor after having so much history to draw upon for the character studies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”