Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Bracketology

asu1978

Re: Bracketology

Unread post by asu1978 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:21 pm

CBS sports today (Sat)They were playing up the App/Meechigan bracket chance.It can happen again :lol:

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:23 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:59 am
How is it set up?
All First Four on Thursday.

First Round Friday/Saturday
Second Round Sunday/Monday

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:48 pm

I would absolutely understand App landing in the Playin game given our statistical rankings, but the "eyeball" test (admittedly biased) I think App is better then most these playin teams. Watching the America East Final right now and fully believe App is better than both these teams. I doubt Lunardi is spending much time actually trying to compare the lowest seeded teams head to head, imagine it's almost entirely SOS & Net Rankings, but if committee does I think the team doesn't land in the playin games.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:03 pm

agentpaul001 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:48 pm
I would absolutely understand App landing in the Playin game given our statistical rankings, but the "eyeball" test (admittedly biased) I think App is better then most these playin teams. Watching the America East Final right now and fully believe App is better than both these teams. I doubt Lunardi is spending much time actually trying to compare the lowest seeded teams head to head, imagine it's almost entirely SOS & Net Rankings, but if committee does I think the team doesn't land in the playin games.
Maybe it's the eternal optimist in me, but I think there's also a chance Lunardi and Palm are undervaluing us just a little bit. Our record isn't great, but our SoS is nearly 60-100 spots higher than all of these other teams in first four contention. Really hope that means something to the committee. You can absolutely argue we should be given a higher seed than Hartford, but nearly all of the projections have them in a better spot than us right now.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:09 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:03 pm
agentpaul001 wrote:
Maybe it's the eternal optimist in me, but I think there's also a chance Lunardi and Palm are undervaluing us just a little bit. Our record isn't great, but our SoS is nearly 60-100 spots higher than all of these other teams in first four contention. Really hope that means something to the committee. You can absolutely argue we should be given a higher seed than Hartford, but nearly all of the projections have them in a better spot than us right now.
I hope! I felt like pretty much all the Sunbelt teams were getting the screws put to them in the mock Lunardi brackets. Week after week #15 or #16 seeds even in years when the conference might have a legit show at a #13 or #14.

I think the odd OOC schedule for most conferences throws things off a bit. App played a pretty decent OOC slate and even though App got hosed by Tennessee and not much better with Auburn, not sure the team should take a huge wallop either way.

But as I've told myself for years, these are the conversations about App's seedline on Selection Sunday that I've been dying for lol.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:19 pm

Are any of you surprised that the supposed “experts” undervalue the SunBelt at everything? MAybe the basketball gurus should learn from the crow eating football experts.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:47 pm

agentpaul001 wrote:
We'll see, won't we? And believe me, I hope you're right.

App's squad this year reminds me a lot of the that Weber State squad with Harold Arceneaux in the late 90's that overachieved and shocked a lot of teams before they made their exit from the tournament.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:09 am

I am a numbers guy and consider myself fairly intelligent but I don’t get the NET ranking. Just looked at it. Right now Colgate (at 13-1) is ranked 9th in the country. Pretty much played half of the games that highly ranked teams have played. They only played 3 teams up to 4 times (I get the reason). They have I guess technically 2 quad 2 wins (Army?). They are projected as a 15 seed. I’m sure that there is merit to that ranking but come on that’s ridiculous.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:40 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:09 am
I am a numbers guy and consider myself fairly intelligent but I don’t get the NET ranking. Just looked at it. Right now Colgate (at 13-1) is ranked 9th in the country. Pretty much played half of the games that highly ranked teams have played. They only played 3 teams up to 4 times (I get the reason). They have I guess technically 2 quad 2 wins (Army?). They are projected as a 15 seed. I’m sure that there is merit to that ranking but come on that’s ridiculous.
The net rankings serve the same purpose as the CFP playoff committee does. It is there to ensure a maximum # of bids go to major conferences. Once mid majors were busting through RPI, suddenly a mew methodology was needed.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:28 am

BallantyneApp wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:40 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
The net rankings serve the same purpose as the CFP playoff committee does. It is there to ensure a maximum # of bids go to major conferences. Once mid majors were busting through RPI, suddenly a mew methodology was needed.
Oh I get all that but how on earth is a Colgate remotely ranked that high? By the same token if that methodology is even considered for giving bids and for seeding it loses all credibility from my standpoint. If you look at the list of teams on this ranking if we were to play Colgate they would blow our doors off being that we are over 200 spots below them.

Can’t wait until tonight to see and hear our name and to hear the rationale for the BS teams who get in. I won’t be shocked to hear Duke’s name.

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:41 am

This is a fun feeling today. It doesn't mean anything, but this projection has us in a play-in game.

http://bracketmatrix.com/

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:58 am

Definitely seems like we are headed for the first four. Last thing that might could throw a wrench into this is if Colgate loses today, but they are 10 point favorites so it could be a blow out. From the research I have done, I think it feels like we are one spot away from moving out of the first four. I think Texas Southern, Norfolk State and Mt. Saint Mary's will all be seeded after us. If one more game would have gone our way yesterday, we might would have avoided it. I'm still just so, so excited.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:17 am

Well if we are a 1st Four we will get so much more exposure on the telly than if we are a 1-16 or 2-15.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:10 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:17 am
Well if we are a 1st Four we will get so much more exposure on the telly than if we are a 1-16 or 2-15.
I'm pretty confident if App is in the first four that game would take in more bets in Vegas than any other sporting event we have ever participated in.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:14 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:10 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:17 am
I'm pretty confident if App is in the first four that game would take in more bets in Vegas than any other sporting event we have ever participated in.
One more advantage of being in the First Four:

It is a chance to pick up a unit for the Sun Belt for winning a tournament game. The payout is good for the next six years (and pay out equally to conference members)
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015 ... ball-fund/

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:16 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:28 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:40 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Oh I get all that but how on earth is a Colgate remotely ranked that high? By the same token if that methodology is even considered for giving bids and for seeding it loses all credibility from my standpoint. If you look at the list of teams on this ranking if we were to play Colgate they would blow our doors off being that we are over 200 spots below them.

Can’t wait until tonight to see and hear our name and to hear the rationale for the BS teams who get in. I won’t be shocked to hear Duke’s name.
Colgate was an outlier this year. The were in the Top 10 in NET prior to the conference tournaments. If they played a normal schedule, with a normal number of games, they would have dropped substantially.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:46 pm

Ok Norfolk State... 1st 4

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:52 pm

Just win!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:57 pm

Is it written that a first four win counts as a unit for money?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:58 pm

Game three...who do we want to face…Missouri or Oklahoma????

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”