Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA-T: Norfolk State (Thursday 3/18)

Cro-Magnon App
School: Appalachian State

Re: NCAA-T: Norfolk State (Thursday 3/18)

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:09 pm

I hope we can recruit some good players.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:17 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:09 pm
I think DK can find the players. I hope more will contribute to MAF/Yosef Club so we can offer more scholarships!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:29 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:17 pm
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
I think DK can find the players. I hope more will contribute to MAF/Yosef Club so we can offer more scholarships!
We have two guys coming in next year that are REALLY good. Harcum and Mantis both have potential to get significant minutes next year.

Also, basketball offers as many scholarships as the NCAA allows. We cannot offer any more scholarships. What we can offer is better head coach and assistant coach salaries, higher recruiting budget, etc. if we get enough money to fund the scholarships 100% through Yosef Club.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:08 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
I'm hoping the new practice facility will start ot pay some dividends next year in upping our 3 pt %. If our returnees (hopefully with at least one of Almonacy/Forrest) improve as much YOY as they did 19-20 to 20-21 and keep their grittiness, we could have aa very good sunbelt team.

I swear if we won yesterday, I would still believe we could come from 40 down against Gonzaga, which would likely be the deficit

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:11 am
Next year will be the real test of this staff. If Justin and Michael choose not to return someone will need to develop quickly to fill those two spots. Not sure we currently have anyone on the roster who can fill those shoes. Our big problem this year was very little offensive production off the bench. Brown got useful minutes in the postseason but he’s a different player than either of those two. No doubt Delph, Gregory, and Lewis will be back to provide the nucleus of the team. And, while Duhart provided valuable rebounding and defensive help late season, he’s not much of an offensive threat.

I think App fans everywhere are proud of the fight and grit this team displayed all year. As someone wrote earlier, we can look forward to what’s in store next season.
Duhart’s value is incredible underrated. I predict he will improve offensively but what he provides is very necessary

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:53 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 pm
hapapp wrote:
Next year will be the real test of this staff. If Justin and Michael choose not to return someone will need to develop quickly to fill those two spots. Not sure we currently have anyone on the roster who can fill those shoes. Our big problem this year was very little offensive production off the bench. Brown got useful minutes in the postseason but he’s a different player than either of those two. No doubt Delph, Gregory, and Lewis will be back to provide the nucleus of the team. And, while Duhart provided valuable rebounding and defensive help late season, he’s not much of an offensive threat.

I think App fans everywhere are proud of the fight and grit this team displayed all year. As someone wrote earlier, we can look forward to what’s in store next season.
Duhart’s value is incredible underrated. I predict he will improve offensively but what he provides is very necessary
We don't win the Sun Belt without him.

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Now, maybe we can get the school to allow the bookstore and local stores to sell replica basketball jerseys? I’ve seen a lot of interest online for these.

I was able to get an authentic jersey a couple of years ago from the athletic department, but have never really seen an option to get replicas.

GO APPS!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:20 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:29 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
We have two guys coming in next year that are REALLY good. Harcum and Mantis both have potential to get significant minutes next year.

Also, basketball offers as many scholarships as the NCAA allows. We cannot offer any more scholarships. What we can offer is better head coach and assistant coach salaries, higher recruiting budget, etc. if we get enough money to fund the scholarships 100% through Yosef Club.
I did not know that. If we have 13 full scholarships to offer we should expect more from our program.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:29 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:08 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:
I'm hoping the new practice facility will start ot pay some dividends next year in upping our 3 pt %. If our returnees (hopefully with at least one of Almonacy/Forrest) improve as much YOY as they did 19-20 to 20-21 and keep their grittiness, we could have aa very good sunbelt team.

I swear if we won yesterday, I would still believe we could come from 40 down against Gonzaga, which would likely be the deficit
What practice facility?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:40 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:29 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:

What practice facility?
They remodeled the Quinn. It’s really nice.
https://www.hcpress.com/sports/the-harr ... ility.html
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:31 pm

My wife's family are from Ohio and there are a few Ohio State grads in the family. Most of them are "cool", however, there are a couple that are somewhat arrogant. These two individual's picked Norfolk State in our family March Madness pool. Well, Oral Roberts just defeated The Ohio State, yeeeeeah!! I love it!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:38 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:40 pm
NewApp wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
Cro-Magnon App wrote:

What practice facility?
Are the visiting football teams still going to be using the Quinn Center for dressing, etc?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:19 pm

NewApp wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:38 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:40 pm
NewApp wrote:
BallantyneApp wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:

What practice facility?
Are the visiting football teams still going to be using the Quinn Center for dressing, etc?
I’m not sure.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:53 pm

Damn man... about 24 hours later and this still stings. But it's so hard to be too upset, a month ago none of us expected this in our wildest dreams. Just experiencing that was amazing, the pagentry of the entire thing was just unbelievable. I've always loved March Madness, and it's x100 different when your dog is in the fight. I really, really hope it's not 21 years until we do this again. With coach Kerns in charge I don't think the drought will last near this long this time.

Frustrating because I think we were clearly better than Norfolk State, if we even make three three pointers in the first half we probably win this one by 8-12 points. What's beautiful though, is that for the first time since I've really been following the program we have an identity. Kerns wants to grind the game out, play lights out defense, hit enough three pointers, and make free throws down the stretch. For a school like us, this is a great winning formula to build around. Our defense was unreal the entire game and has been the entire month. This is a phenomenal foundation to build around. Jfo and Almonacy deserve attention for being seniors that really carried us throughout the tourney, but damn if it's not beautiful watching guys like Gregory and Duhart do the dirty work to make this system possible. I've been following North Texas over the past couple of weeks, and it seems like this is what they also do. Don't have much size, but just play flawless defense and make winning plays when they need them. They knocked off Purdue tonight, I truly think Kerns can accomplish something similar in Boone.

I have lots of other thoughts, I'd love to have Almonacy and Forrest or even just one back. But if they both decide to move on, they're forever App State legends for igniting this run and bringing a spark back into the program. On a similar wave, I truly hope we don't LOSE anyone. College basketball is basically going to have its own version of free agency this offseason with transfers. Our bunch seem to be very tight, and I think the boys will be hungry to make this happen again next year. But James Lewis for example, I thought he gave us valuable minutes this year and even last night. But he's losing minutes to RJ, I'd still absolutely hate to lose him as he plays a very important role. Xavion as well, I think he's another great fit for this system. But he's a west coast kid iirc, let's hope he has made Boone his home and doesn't desire getting closer to home. That's always been a problem for this program, not being able to hold onto players. I'm hoping that has changed under Kerns, but I'm still understandably nervous.

That was just so much fun, though. I would loved to have held onto the win, but this season exceeded even my wildest of expectations.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:12 am

hapapp wrote:

This could be a copy and paste from last year.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:05 am

At the college level, defense wins games. Kerns philosophy on defense is very good. On the offensive side of the ball, I actually like the idea of using the 3 point shot as integral to the offense with balance of either driving to the hoop or inside out with the Bigs. I hope we keep "climbing the stairs" in 21/22 season.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”