Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Oregon State 10:00 pm TIP

Saint3333

Re: Oregon State 10:00 pm TIP

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:26 am

Free throws are free throws in Oregon or NC, just hit them.

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:01 am

In our two D1 games, we are giving up 86 points a game and scoring 75. Kerns said the team would play more up tempo but it seems the opposition to date is enjoying the up tempo more than we are. We don't play for a week and get UNCW in Florida. Their lone D1 win was a 17 point win over UNCA.

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:09 am

UNCA was great last year with some of the talent returning. I would say UNCW is very formidable.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:16 am

hapapp wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:01 am
In our two D1 games, we are giving up 86 points a game and scoring 75. Kerns said the team would play more up tempo but it seems the opposition to date is enjoying the up tempo more than we are. We don't play for a week and get UNCW in Florida. Their lone D1 win was a 17 point win over UNCA.
U-Dub typically likes to play fast. Not saying the score alot...but, in the past, go up and down the court very fast.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:01 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:20 am
Lost to a team in OT where we traveled across the country. Yes, I hate to lose any game....but I can live with that. We need time to gel. The only way to get to big dance is win conference tournament.
An argument could (should) be made that this team has had ample time to gel. That would be last season. Same guys this year as last. We have played two viable opponents and it's looking like we are what we were last year.

Sorry but I can't see the cross country travel excuse. Make one more FT and we win by one in regulation. Travel didn't effect poor FT shooting.

Hope we're not just playing a whole season just for a possible tournament run in March but maybe that's what we are looking at.

Was hoping we would have a really good non conference record and look good going into the Auburn game. Hope we look good on national TV.

Some of this may have been in frustration. I am a big fan of App State basketball.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:25 pm

Making foul shots is a skill that is a long time learned. The stroke has to be honed by thousands of shots in the off-season by each player on his own, practiced with good mechanics so he will be comfortable under duress during the season. Whatever you shoot early is pretty much what you are going to shoot all season. There is not a quick fix if it is a problem. Late in the game you can help by making sure the ball is in the hands of your good FT shooters. The close games most always come down to FT shooting and rebounding.

We have 3 players shooting over 60%, realizing it is a small sample only 3 games in. Tate is 4-4, Gregory is 8-10, and Hardin is 9-13 (69%). The stats show we are 53% as a team (33-62). Big problem - hard to fix.

Field goal shooting can be improved by better shot selection and by cutting down attempts by poor shooters. The free throw is the same shot every time.

After 40 years of coaching high school basketball, I still look back and wish I’d motivated players to shoot even more FTs from late March to October. Doesn’t matter where - in the driveway, behind the barn, in the gym, etc. Hone that stroke! Poor free throw shooting is the thorn in your side you can’t do much about once the season starts and you have to turn your time to your team moreso than individual skills. Those skills must be developed out-of-season. But the kids don't want to shoot a hundred free throws a day. They’d rather play these crazy games (knockout, 1 on 1, etc. - and those games have value) or play video games than get out there alone and shoot FTs and chart their progress.

Nothing new here. You all already know this. I’m just ranting and thinking of a few big games in the past that my teams should have won but didn’t because we couldn’t make a damn FREE shot. It rankles me still.

brocktune90

Unread post by brocktune90 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:49 pm

Had a great time at the game last night. Looks like I even made it on TV a few times with my App State scarf. Sat with some of the players parents which was especially fun. I want to thank any parents that might see this for sharing their kids with us. These aren't mindless automatons, but real people and I admire them. The parents should be proud. Thanks for making the trip. Outside of the group of parents and families that I sat with, I saw a few other App State folks who also live in the PNW; Portland, Seattle, Salem, Ankeny, Beaverton were all represented. It was nice to see the president of the PNW Alumni Association there. That dude is fun. In all, I'd estimate 30-35 App State fans on a cold, dark, and rainy Tuesday night.

The arena reminded me of Varsity Gym. It has an old school feel and situated on campus and next to the recently renovated Reiser Stadium (football). Beautiful campus and 35,000 students but not a lot of energy in the building until the last 2 minutes. OSU had some really big guys, but we handled them OK. It was Pope who was too quick for anyone to cover and he killed us. But yeah, our free throws hurt.

After the tough loss, almost every player and coach came over, made eye contact and gave my 13 year old high fives. I clapped and told them that I was still proud of them. While these men might miss a free throw, they are still outstanding role models who show dedication, teamwork, hustle, and a desire to get better. I hope that my kid noticed that part and not just the final score.

The team got to visit the Nike campus and visit the employee store, which is a pretty amazing place with big discounts. Passes to the Nike employee store are pretty hard to get compared to the Adidas employee store or the Columbia employee store. I'm glad that our men got to do that.

As a Yosef Club member who hasn't been to a home football game since 2009, or a home basketball game since 1993, I am proud to support these student athletes and coaches all the way from my home on the west coast.

Loss is not the end,
Wisdom blooms in setbacks, strong,
Failure spurs growth's song.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:03 pm

appfanjj wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:01 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:20 am
Lost to a team in OT where we traveled across the country. Yes, I hate to lose any game....but I can live with that. We need time to gel. The only way to get to big dance is win conference tournament.
An argument could (should) be made that this team has had ample time to gel. That would be last season. Same guys this year as last. We have played two viable opponents and it's looking like we are what we were last year.

Sorry but I can't see the cross country travel excuse. Make one more FT and we win by one in regulation. Travel didn't effect poor FT shooting.

Hope we're not just playing a whole season just for a possible tournament run in March but maybe that's what we are looking at.

Was hoping we would have a really good non conference record and look good going into the Auburn game. Hope we look good on national TV.

Some of this may have been in frustration. I am a big fan of App State basketball.
If traveling across country and playing in a gymnasium that we are unfamiliar, winning %. by away teams would be much better overall. It is not against evenly based teams. Sure, making a FT here, a defensive stop there, and making another 3 pointer all helps....that is the flow of the game. If we made a FT here or there..how would O St respond... differently... would I have liked to see it... sure...we did not...any basketball team year over year need to gel. Team chemistry makes a difference even if one player changes in the mix, including coming off the bench.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:51 pm

OSU has talent , history and resources .The game was about what I expected with us having a chance to win .Unfortunately , we did not get it done. We are better than we were a week ago , I think we would have beaten NIU last night.I will say again that Oakland City hurt us , ingrained some bad habits.Need more physical dominance at the rim among other things.Those shots start falling and we are in good shape.When will they?

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:08 pm

11-21-23

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”