Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Stonewall
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 am

That’s fair.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 am

Queens, Elon, GWebb. That's not a flex young man.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:35 am

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:24 am
app97 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:38 am
I don't suspect that Kerns would leave for another Sun Belt school (JMU), but he sure seemed to have love for them in his postgame press conference when we played them up there. He went on and on about how great their facilities are and how they've "always been good" (not true). I could see Charleston since basketball is their marquee sport and it would pay a good bit more than he's getting at App, but these players were hitting the portal well before Kelsey took the Louisville job, although discussions were probably happening well before that. I just can't figure out where else Kerns would go for an available opening. St Louis is in a better bball conference, but the Indiana St coach has been mentioned there, and most other current openings that would be a slight step up are on the west coast. Those might not be out of the question though since he's worked at Santa Clara before.
A little bit of a contrarian/hot take here...

Is Kerns really a highly sought-after candidate? Let me preface by saying I think that he is a great coach, he's done wonders at App, and I hope he sticks around for a while. However, his resume at App isn't eye-popping. WE love it because we know how bad things were before he was hired. However, in 5 years Kerns has made the NCAA tourney once, the NIT once, one conference tourney championship, and one regular season conference championship. If I'm a school that's got a million plus to drop on a new coach, there are some out there with better resumes that I could probably snag.
Again, I'm not criticizing coach Kerns. I think he's an outstanding coach. I'm just trying to look at this from outside our black-and-gold bubble. Feel free to argue and/or prove me wrong.
Agree..think one or two more good years at App...then yes.
With that said, you only need one school to take a bite at apple so to speak and offer him much more than making now.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50 am

This makes sense, but to me, doesn't square with basically the entire team hitting the portal. We had a really good thing going.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:03 am

Look at UNC last night in the 2nd half - 2 Roy recruits (Bacot & Davis), transfers - Ryan 7 years in college - Ingram - 3 years - Withers - 4 years and Wojack - grad from Brown --- Hubert's recruits on the bench - Hole fans are livid - funny as hell --- Hubert has won the games he won over 3 years because of other's recruits who transferred in
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:16 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:03 am
Look at UNC last night in the 2nd half - 2 Roy recruits (Bacot & Davis), transfers - Ryan 7 years in college - Ingram - 3 years - Withers - 4 years and Wojack - grad from Brown --- Hubert's recruits on the bench - Hole fans are livid - funny as hell --- Hubert has won the games he won over 3 years because of other's recruits who transferred in
cough cough, same as Kerns -- his best player each of his 5 seasons was a Fox signed recruit....

Forrest, Delph, Johnson, O'Showen, Donovan...

Almonacy had a nice tournament hot streak and Abson was a sneaky good signee during COVID, but other than that Kerns has really whiffed on majority of his own recruiting. #'s never lie.

We should Thank Fox for putting the program on solid ground from the Capel debacle honestly.

Kerns was Gillin and Cheri hire so they were more aligned to support him.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:23 am

I don't blame the players at all. People that believe they can get a better deal should be gone...especially if the coach will take you back and I think our coach will take people back and maybe pay someone to come back that was not getting paid now. (IE Marsh)

This is the new and I think you will see this from top to bottom. I am not worried...I just don't like it.

Moneyball is going to start coming into play....AI will pick your team based on previous numbers and guesses.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:16 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
cough cough, same as Kerns -- his best player each of his 5 seasons was a Fox signed recruit....

Almonacy had a nice tournament hot streak and Abson was a sneaky good signee during COVID, but other than that Kerns has really whiffed on majority of his own recruiting. #'s never lie.

We should Thank Fox for putting the program on solid ground from the Capel debacle honestly.

You win the worst take of the day, congrats.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm

Well, kerns is not going to jmu😂
JMU HIRES MOREHEAD STATE’S PRESTON SPRADLIN AS HEAD MEN’S BASKETBALL COAC
#99ForPresident!!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 pm

Nightmare thread
YNWA

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

Fox was toxic. Beyond toxic.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

That was my point - It's happening down the mountain at UNC, WF and NCS
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Maybe, JUST MAYBE, recruiting is hard and the new transfer rules make growth and development even harder and the few players who are willing to stick it out and get better together are the ones that see the floor the most.
But hey, what do I know? I just hate the old "he's playing with the last guy's recruits" excuse. He's winning, isn't he?

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

I really hope he's a troll and not just that irrational

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 pm

JMU has hired Morehead State's coach. He has a string of 20 win seasons and two NCAA tournament trips.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 am
Queens, Elon, GWebb. That's not a flex young man.
Perhaps he just doesn’t love Boone. Guys transfer for many different reasons. We’ll never know.
Having said this I don’t think he got as much PT as he should have. Not surprised he’s leaving.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 pm

Did anyone see Caleb Love’s comments about why he transferred out of Carolina. It’s an interesting read and something that some of our players, and their parents deal with from our fans. https://tarheeltribune.com/2024/03/27/l ... unc-tough/

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 pm
Did anyone see Caleb Love’s comments about why he transferred out of Carolina. It’s an interesting read and something that some of our players, and their parents deal with from our fans. https://tarheeltribune.com/2024/03/27/l ... unc-tough/
I thought the real story was because he had relations with RJ’s girlfriend.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:19 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

That was my point - It's happening down the mountain at UNC, WF and NCS
Come on WVA..and Dook..😂😂
#99ForPresident!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 pm

I have this visual of several of you running thru the woods , naked, eyes bugging out, hair on fire, arms in the air screaming “ we’re fkd” over and over…..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”