Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:37 am

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:32 am
311neers wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:19 pm
Abson visiting Georgia. Once he sees that bar scene, he might bite. No pun intended. He would pair well with the McDonalds AA incoming Freshman Forward/Center.
For me, personally, I'd like this because I live nearby and could go see him play. If a coach can come to UGA and lock down the basketball talent that is in the state, they could become a power house. I saw a chart a while back that showed Georgia as second or third in the nation at producing blue-chip basketball recruits that play in other states. Example: Stephon Castle grew up roughly an hour from Athens (Covington, GA) and was a starter as a freshman for UConn this year.
You hit it on the head. Always been their problem. A sleeping giant when you think about it but they just don’t seem to care. Seems like they are slowly starting to spend dollars and put a tad bit of focus on basketball and baseball.
Interesting stat I saw… they could be the first school ever (maybe there’s a 1 or 2 schools) to have a 1st overall pick in Football Basketball and Baseball if that Charlie Condon kid goes #1 in baseball draft this year. But all you hear is football.
Be nice to land them on the schedule in sports more often, especially basketball- that’s a winnable game.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:05 am

Am I the only one that isn't going to pull for players when they leave App? I'm not rooting against them, but I don't feel any lingering ties to a player that transfer.

I'll caveat that with the exception of grad transfers.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:16 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:05 am
Am I the only one that isn't going to pull for players when they leave App? I'm not rooting against them, but I don't feel any lingering ties to a player that transfer.

Not the 1 and dones. But maybe a little sympathy for guys that spent 2+ years here and gave their all and helped build the program. Brown, Harcum etc.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:18 am

Saint3333 wrote:

I am with you. If they have a degree I will pull for them but I don't feel ties to those who are here for a year or two and then bounce. They took a pit stop here and aren't a Mountaineer anymore. I am not rooting against them but I am not going to follow their career.

Here is a thought. Does it benefit us more for a player to go to a power program and have huge success or struggle? I was thinking if they do great then we might see more players feel like that can happen for them. If they struggle then perhaps others will question whether they should just stay and dominate. Most athletes do a lot better in year two when they move up a level and these players who bolt with just one year left have a very low success rate or doing as good or better anyway.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:26 am

I know that most of them grew up in tough circumstances and the money will be sent home . My concern is that the money will be gone in a year or two and the kid will have no degree to fall back on. I would feel a lot better if they graduated then transferred to cash out. The new system incentivizes bad decisions. My opinion.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:42 am

Saint3333 wrote:

Exactly. Even the caveat.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:14 am

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:42 am
Saint3333 wrote:

After Donavan Gregory raised the bar for loyalty….aint no way!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:28 am

Depends on the scenario for me and who they go to. If they go to any other conference member, UNC, ECU, or Charlotte, I’d hope they fail. I wouldn’t be happy if they went to Duke, Wake or State, but I wouldn’t hope for their failure. Also depends on why they are leaving. For instance, in Xavion’s case, I would definitely pull for him. Spillers, not so much. Abson, Marsh and Harcum, if they could significantly improve their situation, I’d be happy for them, but if they’re making a lateral change, that’s a slap in the face and they can go to hell.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:41 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:14 am
AppinVA wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Donovan will likely go down as my favorite App basketball player ever.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:44 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:28 am
Depends on the scenario for me and who they go to. If they go to any other conference member, UNC, ECU, or Charlotte, I’d hope they fail. I wouldn’t be happy if they went to Duke, Wake or State, but I wouldn’t hope for their failure. Also depends on why they are leaving. For instance, in Xavion’s case, I would definitely pull for him. Spillers, not so much. Abson, Marsh and Harcum, if they could significantly improve their situation, I’d be happy for them, but if they’re making a lateral change, that’s a slap in the face and they can go to hell.
So if your wife leaves you for someone with a pile of money and a bigger house, you’ll be happy for her, but you’ll be angry if she leaves for someone who is similar in income and status as you. Got it.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:45 am

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:41 am
Rekdiver wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

He's the first one I put on the same tier as Rufus.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:48 am

appst89 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:45 am
AppinVA wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:41 am
Rekdiver wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

He's the first one I put on the same tier as Rufus.
Yeah. What he put himself through just to become a Mountaineer makes him tops.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:54 am

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:44 am
So if your wife leaves you for someone with a pile of money and a bigger house, you’ll be happy for her, but you’ll be angry if she leaves for someone who is similar in income and status as you. Got it.
:lol:

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:55 am

AppinVA wrote:
This might sound crazy, but my relationship with my wife is much different than my relationship with App basketball players.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:05 am

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:26 am
I know that most of them grew up in tough circumstances and the money will be sent home . My concern is that the money will be gone in a year or two and the kid will have no degree to fall back on. I would feel a lot better if they graduated then transferred to cash out. The new system incentivizes bad decisions. My opinion.
Agreed but they are legally adults and are making decisions that they think is best for them. I use to be worried about it but all our staff can do is present them with the info and it is up to them.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:05 am

Rekdiver wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

That's where NIL helped us.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:16 am

AppinVA wrote:
Both are near impossible scenarios, so difficult for me to comprehend.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:28 am

“ take my wife , please…”

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:44 am

I understand that NIL is a problem and it is easy to assume that these kids are making the decisions to leave. Keep in mind that isn’t always the case and sometimes these decisions to leave are encouraged for the betterment of everyone.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:45 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:44 am
I understand that NIL is a problem and it is easy to assume that these kids are making the decisions to leave. Keep in mind that isn’t always the case and sometimes these decisions to leave are encouraged for the betterment of everyone.
That is true and I believe many are thinking their playing days are done but put their name in to see if someone offers them a scholarship. This is not the case with Harcum, Spillers, Abson, etc. I view them the same way. I just don't follow closely to see how their careers go when they leave.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”