Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:56 pm
I think it is important for posts about where players go and how much so the App-Fan-Base gets an idea of what we are up against and what is needed to compete.
Agreed. And while I think some folks are going a bit overboard, I like to know where our former guys are going because I LIKE our former guys!

Maybe this analogy doesn't work, but why would we forsake Justin Abson for going to UGA or Miami or wherever because he didn't finish his degree at App, but we LOVE to tout Luke Combs going to App, even though he left before he finished his degree to chase fame and fortune as a musician? Seems about the same to me.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 am

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 am
spacemonkey wrote:
I think it is important for posts about where players go and how much so the App-Fan-Base gets an idea of what we are up against and what is needed to compete.
Agreed. And while I think some folks are going a bit overboard, I like to know where our former guys are going because I LIKE our former guys!

Maybe this analogy doesn't work, but why would we forsake Justin Abson for going to UGA or Miami or wherever because he didn't finish his degree at App, but we LOVE to tout Luke Combs going to App, even though he left before he finished his degree to chase fame and fortune as a musician? Seems about the same to me.
Luke Combs didn’t forsake us for another school like Eric Church.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:25 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 am
MrCraig wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

That's fair. However, for a basketball player, the only way to really go after money, attention, and a higher level of success is to transfer to a bigger school. I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but I also don't understand hating a guy for trying to move up the ladder a little. Now, if Abson or any of those guys transfers to JMU or GA Southern... that's different.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 am

MrCraig wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:25 am
MrCraig wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

That's fair. However, for a basketball player, the only way to really go after money, attention, and a higher level of success is to transfer to a bigger school. I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but I also don't understand hating a guy for trying to move up the ladder a little. Now, if Abson or any of those guys transfers to JMU or GA Southern... that's different.
I’m with you, I just don’t think Luke Combs is a good analogy. I think of him leaving early for the NBA.

704App

Unread post by 704App » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 am

Once A Mountaineer, Always A Mountaineer in my opinion. I always try to keep up with where former Apps are going/do.

I may have spent just as much time checking McLeods stats at Auburn last year as I did Parker for our games.

If wanting to keep tabs on players that have raised the level of our program is a crime, arrest me!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 am

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 am
MrCraig wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:

I’m with you, I just don’t think Luke Combs is a good analogy. I think of him leaving early for the NBA.
Just curious as I’m unsure of the timeline, but when did EC’s fandom for Carolina become public? Was it a visible thing before Mack Brown returned as HC?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:26 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 am
MrCraig wrote:
MrCraig wrote:

Just curious as I’m unsure of the timeline, but when did EC’s fandom for Carolina become public? Was it a visible thing before Mack Brown returned as HC?
I’m not sure of the timeline, but I think when we first played them and he was promoting their program as his own is when he hit infamous status with App nation.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 am

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:26 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 am
MrCraig wrote:

I’m not sure of the timeline, but I think when we first played them and he was promoting their program as his own is when he hit infamous status with App nation.
That’s what I was wondering. He is a friend and neighbor of Mack Brown which it feels like his fandom came out about that time.

I don’t get folks getting all up in arms over other peoples life choices. Especially for something as trivial as who they root for. I’m sure that these same folks wouldn’t appreciate someone questioning their choices.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:02 am

Put him in the Portal. We are recruiting basketball players today !

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:18 pm

Any whispers about CJ or any other incoming transfers?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:12 pm

He wasn’t whispering but CJ says he’s coming back. We have recruits on campus through the weekend.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:12 pm
He wasn’t whispering but CJ says he’s coming back. We have recruits on campus through the weekend.
High school or transfer recruits?

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Where do we stand with JUCO guard Hinton?

And I guess O’Kelly and Stanback?

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:25 pm

Cheikh Sow, the juco we’ve offered, originally from Senegal looks intriguing. He’s long and athletic like Spillers, but can also shoot from deep. He seems to have a Kendall Lewis-like game.

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:47 am

Stonewall wrote:
Be Still My Beating Heart

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:21 am

Well maybe we can play Duke in a 3 on 3 as they have experienced a mass exodus as well. I'm sure both schools will replenish their rosters as the revolving door that just got crazier with the new ruling will swing more wildly.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:50 am

Stay tuned. I will say that I believe we will be a contender come March.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:53 am

Mark it here. Stonewall projecting a Natty for the MBB in 2025.😂😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:04 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:50 am
Is Bronny transferring in?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:23 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:04 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:50 am
Is Bronny transferring in?
Overrated...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”