Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Who left first, players or coach Kerns?

PhillyApp1

Who left first, players or coach Kerns?

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:56 pm

This doesn't just happen out of nowhere.

Why hasn't someone from Athletic Department made a statement?

Was this a surprise?
I agree, i think the team knew before Wake Forest game

Better get answers tomorrow

311neers
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who left first, players or coach Kerns?

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 pm

Time will tell. Nothing we can do about it. Not sure they really owe us anything as this pretty much par for the course now. Kids are offered money or they think they can get it elsewhere. Coaches can leave anytime an offer comes, thus players leave. It’s 1 of the 2 and we will figure it out soon enough.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:14 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 pm
Time will tell. Nothing we can do about it. Not sure they really owe us anything as this pretty much par for the course now. Kids are offered money or they think they can get it elsewhere. Coaches can leave anytime an offer comes, thus players leave. It’s 1 of the 2 and we will figure it out soon enough.
Nobody likes surprises like this.
Official announcement should have been out ahead of the sinking ship.
Let's hope the holes get fixed and we float again.

It's hard to trust people anymore in this current world..... God help us

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:41 pm

311neers wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:01 pm
I agree we will figure it out soon enough but this takes the excitement out of giving. I think they should want to say something to our boosters in a private email or something.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:07 pm

lol this is getting ridiculous. What would the athletic department say in a statement? “We are committed to a winning basketball program”. The school or players don’t use owe anything.

This may be their one chance in life to get a payday if it’s about money. If it’s not about money, maybe this is their one chance to get more playing time immediately. Remember that the portal gives and takes. We now have NIL money to use in recruiting.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:33 am

For those that are opposed to NIL, and I count myself as one, this is going to keep happening unless we give to that cause.

AppBox

Unread post by AppBox » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:45 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:33 am
For those that are opposed to NIL, and I count myself as one, this is going to keep happening unless we give to that cause.
I don't disagree, but it wouldn't change anything for me. There is a set amount I am willing to spend for donations/entertainment.
Making up numbers, if that amount were $3,000 going to Yosef club as my school/football money and now there is also NIL, I would only be willing to take some of my $3,000 from YC to put there, thus no net gain to the greater whole.
I see my window of retaining interest in "college" athletics getting smaller and closing within a few years.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:06 am

AppBox wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:45 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:33 am
I don't disagree, but it wouldn't change anything for me. There is a set amount I am willing to spend for donations/entertainment.
Making up numbers, if that amount were $3,000 going to Yosef club as my school/football money and now there is also NIL, I would only be willing to take some of my $3,000 from YC to put there, thus no net gain to the greater whole.
I see my window of retaining interest in "college" athletics getting smaller and closing within a few years.
Can’t argue with your logic. I personally feel like that it is going to eat itself and have a reset at some point. Until we have rules and regulations to govern the entity of NIL, it’s just going to kill college athletics.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:30 am

Here’s the thing with the new SANIL partnership. You can donate to the collective in two ways. The first is obviously donating money directly. The second one will be through some broad reaching creative marketing that will create an indirect revenue stream. Many associate that to buying wings or a jersey where the player gets a portion of the profits. There are things in the works that are similar in nature that serves the both the “investor” and the need for NIL funding.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:39 am

Educate me (and maybe others) on exactly how these collectives work. Are people blindly donating money to these groups who in turn decide to whom and how much to pay? Is an arbitrary group deciding the "value" of certain "student athletes"? This make absolutely zero fiscal sense to me. We are pretty much being held financially hostage by these "kids". I like a comment on another thread. I'm not pouring money into a pot to pay an 18 year old to play mediocre ball and for him or her to bolt to the next big thing for a larger paycheck.

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:01 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:39 am
Educate me (and maybe others) on exactly how these collectives work. Are people blindly donating money to these groups who in turn decide to whom and how much to pay? Is an arbitrary group deciding the "value" of certain "student athletes"? This make absolutely zero fiscal sense to me. We are pretty much being held financially hostage by these "kids". I like a comment on another thread. I'm not pouring money into a pot to pay an 18 year old to play mediocre ball and for him or her to bolt to the next big thing for a larger paycheck.

Going forward it seems there are no guidelines and what’s more no guidelines too come. That being the case, what good is it to continue to throw good money after bad to stay in the arms race? Why build a $100 million tower when the University could us money to add/upgrade degree programs? If the end result is a new FCS do we need a cathedral? The fact of the matter is, under the Wild Wild West situation that exists today, we cannot keep pace in the money race (whether is facilities or NIL). I’m the biggest APP fan. Been a strong supporter since 1968 but unless someone or some entity comes on the scene to blow this mess up soon, I’m slipping away.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

pop5app wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:01 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:

Going forward it seems there are no guidelines and what’s more no guidelines too come. That being the case, what good is it to continue to throw good money after bad to stay in the arms race? Why build a $100 million tower when the University could us money to add/upgrade degree programs? If the end result is a new FCS do we need a cathedral? The fact of the matter is, under the Wild Wild West situation that exists today, we cannot keep pace in the money race (whether is facilities or NIL). I’m the biggest APP fan. Been a strong supporter since 1968 but unless someone or some entity comes on the scene to blow this mess up soon, I’m slipping away.
That is understandable. There is one way to completely blow this up and stop it but it won't happen. All fans would have to band together and stop giving a dime, don't attend events, etc under a simple boycott. Schools, players, NCAA, and media would wake up then. I just don't see that happening though.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:31 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am
pop5app wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:

That is understandable. There is one way to completely blow this up and stop it but it won't happen. All fans would have to band together and stop giving a dime, don't attend events, etc under a simple boycott. Schools, players, NCAA, and media would wake up then. I just don't see that happening though.
The machine that is ESPN/media and power four programs don't rely on the small donor. They rely on the large donor and the media contracts. Under the current structure programs in the SBC, AAC, etc. will get the scraps and we'll in turn raid the tier three programs, creating apathy that rises until few opportunities for student athletes exist. It's really hard to turn around a cruise ship and this thing is large.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:36 am

Where are people seeing that Kerns has left?

Also re NIL...agree we can never compete...that's reality; that's all business -> the major law firm or tech company is going to poach the best talent from the smaller companies. If major brands like USC had to leave the Pac-12, and the entire conference crumbled...and FSU and Clemson are desperately trying to get out of the ACC d/t financial reasons, what chance does App have to compete financially? And yeh it works both ways...there are schools that can't compete with us...we will and should take FCS or lower brand G5 talent from other schools. That's just reality. Personally, I am fine with who and what we are and our place in the college sports universe; I've long accepted it, and I really enjoy what we have.

Things are crazy right now, but this is going to get sorted out in the next few years (for better or worse)...conference realignment finishes, vs and/or a new restructuring of top level football (the top 60 or so being the new D1...the P5 have-nots, all G5 being the new D2, FCS being the new D3, so on and so forth)...but re the portal and NIL, some regulation is coming; there's going to be some type of revenue share model, likely collectively bargained with a player's union....schools actually want this, as it's going to regulate a lot of this because the players will have to make concessions as their part of the bargaining...AND, even bigger it's going to prevent more antitrust issues, and biggest of all they're hoping it settles the current Grant House case that is currently working its way through the courts that involves NIL back payments for 2016-2021. Yes it's the Wild West atm, but eventually the West got settled and this will too. Really, most of this could have all been avoided and done in a better way had the NCAA and everyone else getting so rich off of the players for so long had been a liiiittle less greedy and tried to be fair instead of screwing the players over.

Yahoo sports, particularly the College Football Enquirer podcast with Dan Wetzel, Pat Forde, and Ross Dellenger (as well as their articles), has excellent coverage of all of this...and I prefer them over the ESPN podcasts because they don't have a conflict of interest financial situation like ESPN does.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 am

So we had a B-ball program for one season that could have garnered support from our fan base and now it is gone. So why even try? Unregulated NIL is going to completely destroy G5 sports.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:42 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:31 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am
pop5app wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:

The machine that is ESPN/media and power four programs don't rely on the small donor. They rely on the large donor and the media contracts. Under the current structure programs in the SBC, AAC, etc. will get the scraps and we'll in turn raid the tier three programs, creating apathy that rises until few opportunities for student athletes exist. It's really hard to turn around a cruise ship and this thing is large.
I am talking all fans from people who view on TV to those giving millions for the buildings. If you stop watching and stop spending on it then they would wake up. TV contracts shrink when viewership goes down 80%. Schools and players will take up when attendance drops from 75k to 20k and from 33k to 5k. They would wake up when instead of getting 50M in donations in one year to just 1M in a year. None of that will happen though and these problems will just get worse until it all implodes.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:46 am

What incentive do fans of power four programs, that aren't financially invested in "their" programs, have to stop watching the games on TV? That is the issue.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:51 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:46 am
What incentive do fans of power four programs, that aren't financially invested in "their" programs, have to stop watching the games on TV? That is the issue.
Right now they have no incentive so they will keep the machine rolling and eventually destroy mid-majors, G5, small school, etc.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:02 am

I am still waiting for an announcement from someone other than the players leaving.

Something is better then NOTHING.

11am and ticking
Did the administration not know if was coming ?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:13 am

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:02 am
I am still waiting for an announcement from someone other than the players leaving.

Something is better then NOTHING.

11am and ticking
Did the administration not know if was coming ?
What exactly is it that you want the to tell you?

The coaches conduct exit interviews after every season so I imagine that there were conversations with the players. We made NIL pitches to some of them and it wasn’t enough. It’s what it is. I don’t know why they would address this to make anyone feel better.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”