Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Report Card - Dustin Kerns

DenverOfTheEast
School: Appalachian State

Re: Report Card - Dustin Kerns

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:38 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:30 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:19 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:51 pm
27 wins with only one Fox player on the roster that had substantial playing time....
and that one player is All SBC and been in the program 5 years... be like Noah Hannon on the court. Get clue big guy, he's gone and the rest of the team is gone now... sums it up doesn't it.
Every coach inherits players from former coaches. It is what you do with the players. Gregory did not go out there and play 1 on 5...and the Team won the regular season conference championship. Fox do that?

Bahaha. Noah Hannon..you really should go read a intro basketball 101 book..

I actually use to think you were bright on this board, I am comparing Noah Hanson the Football leader to Donovan Gregory the basketball leader..... OMG
I need to go back to South America - some of you get dumber as time and typing goes on. Read through the lines.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:50 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:38 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:
27 wins with only one Fox player on the roster that had substantial playing time....
and that one player is All SBC and been in the program 5 years... be like Noah Hannon on the court. Get clue big guy, he's gone and the rest of the team is gone now... sums it up doesn't it.
Every coach inherits players from former coaches. It is what you do with the players. Gregory did not go out there and play 1 on 5...and the Team won the regular season conference championship. Fox do that?

I actually use to think you were bright on this board, I am comparing Noah Hanson the Football leader to Donovan Gregory the basketball leader..... OMG
I need to go back to South America - some of you get dumber as time and typing goes on. Read through the lines.
Dude, I got the reference to Hannon. I am just laughing at you (and not with you) as you are at the top of a burning building and it is called Fox Towers, a coach that got.the least out of a basketball team besides capel..
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:21 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:42 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:04 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:39 pm
Reading these, it is obvious you guys don't follow or understand the details of one's career path, everyone starting point in coaching is different, (example, Schreyer took over a castle, Coach K built the castle).

Scheduling:
How many NON D 1 wins does Kerns have in 5 seasons?
For 2 seasons Kerns coached an abbreviated Sun Belt schedule due to COVID, never having to travel west, some games were not played due to failed COVID test.

Roster:
What was the program like when he arrived, the roster more specially, sure App had a losing basketball record, but the previous coach left a very good roster for Kerns to start out with.
If Kerns leaves this spring the next coach will inherit absolutely nothing.
No coach in the history of App Basketball had the access to the portal like Kerns had, so therefore making it easier to sign or flip incoming talent instantaneously. All the other coaches had to sign HS kids and develop them.

And for what it's worth we should never mention Capel in the same breath as any of these other coaches. He laid on his office couch daily and watched Guiding Light.

AtlAppman saying we kept Fox too long shows his lack of knowledge on the situation, every coach should get 5 years, Fox walked into APR sanctions, post season ban, reduced practice days and 3 players suspended for failing a pee test. All Capel's mess. Plus a new conference to navigate through in 2014.

Kerns on court a B+ (if he woulda beat Norfolk State or USC UPSTATE I would make that an A)
Kerns off court a D-

#TeamClark
I was judging based on this year but if you are going that far back you have to give Kerns credit for taking us to the next step. As you mentioned, Fox took over a nightmare and he improved the situation but that did not take much because Capel had us at the bottom of the league. The APR deal was a disaster, like you mentioned.

I am grading Kerns on a curve because he has improved everything about the team a lot from even the Fox years. I would quickly drop the grade to a B- or C+ if he takes a huge step back next year though.
I don't disagree - I think Kerns and the department pushed Basketball on 1) social media, 2) home schedule has improved 3) and the overall basketball resources have improved, the 3rd isn't a credit to Kerns necessarily but more to cutting other sports during COVID, football success has increased some money across the board for other sports and more money going to Hoops than ever before.
I think increased interest is a huge reason why I give him more points. He pushed to get students to come to games and I think the "take the stairs" motto has helped with merch sales as well. I know he had some misses and there are rumblings about some issues but he has shown he can build a team and more than doubled our average attendance. He has not only won on the court but also helped increase revenue and I value that. My hope is that we announce a new deal this week, some players withdraw from the portal, and we see some portal/juco signings over the next 10-20 days. I am interested to see what happens with the basketball team in the month of April.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:47 pm

Foxx bad. Kerns good.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:13 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Yes, thank you...I did enjoy my coffee this morning. But your ad hominem attacks on other posters? Not so enjoyable.
You're better than that, sir.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:28 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:34 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:19 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:20 pm
Denver shows up to parties late and snicker bars the pool.

No offseason issues before this one, no academics issues.
It’s truly fascinating how someone can’t have anything nice to say about the people who coach for the school that he, ostensibly, roots for.

It’s also GLARINGLY obvious that he waits for bad news to show up. I don’t remember a single DOTE post after App beat Auburn or won the regular season championship.
I been in South America for 2 months, Jan-Feb busy season for me. Also I say a lot of nice things about #TeamClark -- I am an objective person I don't drink all the kool aid you guys drink.

A lot more issues there than one can even type. a few solid seasons have kept them at bay, but last summer was really rocky for Kerns and this spring seems to be headed in that same direction. Let's just put it this way, Kerns cause DG more headaches than the average YC member would even suspect.

His(Kerns) approval rating by department peers would be at under 50% if they took a poll.

I gave Kerns a B+. that isn't all bad.
"His(Kerns) approval rating by department peers would be at under 50% if they took a poll."

I need you to back that up, otherwise it's just drivel to me. You said yourself you've been in South America for two months.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 pm

https://appstatesports.com/news/2021/10 ... ast-coffee

https://knowledgeperk.com/products/yosefs-roast

Tasting Notes
Milk Chocolate, Honey Butter, Cherry

Tasting Notes in the picture
Molasses, Dark Chocolate, Candied Almond

I guess if you order some App coffee you get a nice Block A paper bag with a surprise on the inside. I suppose you have a 50% chance of getting one of the two flavors.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:56 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:24 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:02 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:49 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:37 pm
Let me just recap for some of us to make sure we are on same page.

Jim Fox
5 yrs - Overall 56-99 (.361) - Conf 35-59 (.372)
Best year - 2018-19 15-18 (.455), NO winning seasons, NO reg season conf championships, NO conf tournament championships, NO post season appearances.
In fairness he did inherit a dumpster fire but he NEVER improved year over year. He wasn't even close.

One would have to say Kerns may have inherited a few players but you have to be fair and say everything Kerns has done is his. Kerns is on an upward trajectory over his 5 yrs. I really like Gregory but Fox didn't do anything with his guys after 5 yrs. I have a very hard time giving Fox any credit another 5 yrs later. Kerns may or may not be a recruiter but basically almost every player on the court this season was his.
Here is the issue you aren't considering - what did Fox inherit? Post season Ban and reduced scholarships to 12.

His overall record was awful because he was forced to play money games which 90% of the time turn into losses.

He finished 6th in sun Belt his first year team could not go to SBC tournament 2014-15
He finished 5th in Sun Belt his 4th season 2017-18

He got fired because in year 5 he was picked to finish 5th and started SBC play 0-6 -- the guy(FOX) couldn't make in game adjustments and he couldn't schedule wise enough to give his players any confidence.

Kerns has a lot of Non D 1 wins my friend but I can't make you believe what you don't want to believe.
He left Kerns a very very healthy roster that was in good academic standing, time will tell where Kerns leaves it.
This isn't even a valid comparison. No one "leaves" a roster anymore. With the transfer portal, players are recruited every year and there is going to be roster turnover, good and bad every season.
You don't now how this works -- DG had Kerns retain Fox assistant Allison to keep the roster around to help retain the players. Therefore a roster was left for Kerns to have a good starting point.

It was like in 2019 - Clark and Watts held the roster together when Drinkwitz arrived he had a loaded team, just like Kerns won 18 his first year. Not more clearly how I can explain things to you.
I am well aware of how it works. But, post-covid 2024 transfer-portal free agency is a very different time than 2019 traditional recruit and develop rosters, with a grad transfer occasionally thrown in the mix.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:06 am

I’m not a Fox fan but who else was going to take the job with the mess left behind with Capel. He was not likely to succeed from the get go and at least he cleaned up Capel APR mess. But, he was not good at X’s and O’s, and I don’t believe he was was liked by his players. He did also recruit Donovan so that is another thing he did.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:55 am

appdaze wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 pm
https://appstatesports.com/news/2021/10 ... ast-coffee

https://knowledgeperk.com/products/yosefs-roast

Tasting Notes
Milk Chocolate, Honey Butter, Cherry

Tasting Notes in the picture
Molasses, Dark Chocolate, Candied Almond

I guess if you order some App coffee you get a nice Block A paper bag with a surprise on the inside. I suppose you have a 50% chance of getting one of the two flavors.
I've been to Knowledge Perk many times in Rock Hill. Their coffees are very good and it's awesome to see him and the business doing well, and giving back. All their coffees are in the same general price range.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:36 am

scatman77 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:28 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

It’s truly fascinating how someone can’t have anything nice to say about the people who coach for the school that he, ostensibly, roots for.

It’s also GLARINGLY obvious that he waits for bad news to show up. I don’t remember a single DOTE post after App beat Auburn or won the regular season championship.
I been in South America for 2 months, Jan-Feb busy season for me. Also I say a lot of nice things about #TeamClark -- I am an objective person I don't drink all the kool aid you guys drink.

A lot more issues there than one can even type. a few solid seasons have kept them at bay, but last summer was really rocky for Kerns and this spring seems to be headed in that same direction. Let's just put it this way, Kerns cause DG more headaches than the average YC member would even suspect.

His(Kerns) approval rating by department peers would be at under 50% if they took a poll.

"His(Kerns) approval rating by department peers would be at under 50% if they took a poll."

I need you to back that up, otherwise it's just drivel to me. You said yourself you've been in South America for two months.
Me being in South America has no bearing on what I know that has went on the previous years internally.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:42 am

BambooRdApp wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:50 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:38 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
BambooRdApp wrote:

Dude, I got the reference to Hannon. I am just laughing at you (and not with you) as you are at the top of a burning building and it is called Fox Towers, a coach that got.the least out of a basketball team besides capel..
Hey Look - was a change needed from Fox -- my answer is YES! But to just not give Fox any credit for putting the program back on semi solid ground is not fair to him. Fox did some good things - beat Virginia Tech - Got a game in Madison Square Garden for the Mountaineers - finished top 6 in 5 seasons in a league that no one was ready for. His negative was he alienated supporters at times and really struggled in game coaching.

Kerns by far a better in game coach than Fox - is solid in his system and will make changes to win a game. Kerns must show he can put together and keep his own players moving forward!!!

And I love how we now are talking about coffee on this thread -- 😂

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:47 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:06 am
I’m not a Fox fan but who else was going to take the job with the mess left behind with Capel. He was not likely to succeed from the get go and at least he cleaned up Capel APR mess. But, he was not good at X’s and O’s, and I don’t believe he was was liked by his players. He did also recruit Donovan so that is another thing he did.
I thought we had high expectations from Fox. He was a disciple of Bob McKillop at Davidson. It looked like a big win from a hiring perspective. We all knew Fox had to clean up the hen house (pun intended) first. That was part of plan and he did that. I think most figured a couple years for cleanup and then we would see positive progress. The second part never happened. I think the confirmation of his lack of coaching abilities was that nobody hired him as a HC since. That probably says more about his coaching skills or lack thereof more than anything.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:31 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:24 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:02 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:49 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:37 pm
Let me just recap for some of us to make sure we are on same page.

Jim Fox
5 yrs - Overall 56-99 (.361) - Conf 35-59 (.372)
Best year - 2018-19 15-18 (.455), NO winning seasons, NO reg season conf championships, NO conf tournament championships, NO post season appearances.
In fairness he did inherit a dumpster fire but he NEVER improved year over year. He wasn't even close.

One would have to say Kerns may have inherited a few players but you have to be fair and say everything Kerns has done is his. Kerns is on an upward trajectory over his 5 yrs. I really like Gregory but Fox didn't do anything with his guys after 5 yrs. I have a very hard time giving Fox any credit another 5 yrs later. Kerns may or may not be a recruiter but basically almost every player on the court this season was his.
Here is the issue you aren't considering - what did Fox inherit? Post season Ban and reduced scholarships to 12.

His overall record was awful because he was forced to play money games which 90% of the time turn into losses.

He finished 6th in sun Belt his first year team could not go to SBC tournament 2014-15
He finished 5th in Sun Belt his 4th season 2017-18

He got fired because in year 5 he was picked to finish 5th and started SBC play 0-6 -- the guy(FOX) couldn't make in game adjustments and he couldn't schedule wise enough to give his players any confidence.

Kerns has a lot of Non D 1 wins my friend but I can't make you believe what you don't want to believe.
He left Kerns a very very healthy roster that was in good academic standing, time will tell where Kerns leaves it.
This isn't even a valid comparison. No one "leaves" a roster anymore. With the transfer portal, players are recruited every year and there is going to be roster turnover, good and bad every season.
You don't now how this works -- DG had Kerns retain Fox assistant Allison to keep the roster around to help retain the players. Therefore a roster was left for Kerns to have a good starting point.

It was like in 2019 - Clark and Watts held the roster together when Drinkwitz arrived he had a loaded team, just like Kerns won 18 his first year. Not more clearly how I can explain things to you.
Allison knows his stuff. Was just chatting with him yesterday, but didn't bring up our portal exodus.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:42 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:36 am
scatman77 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:28 pm
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Me being in South America has no bearing on what I know that has went on the previous years internally.
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, I guess you really are in the know. I still need confirmation that his approval rating by department peers would be at under 50% if they took a poll.

yikas1

Unread post by yikas1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:25 am

Can't believe we are coming off a school record in wins and a win over Auburn and there is any discussion about Kerns success or approval rating. When I was in school if we won double digit number of games it was a success.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:41 am

yikas1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:25 am
Can't believe we are coming off a school record in wins and a win over Auburn and there is any discussion about Kerns success or approval rating. When I was in school if we won double digit number of games it was a success.
I once heard a presentation by an ex-Blue Angels pilot. He said after EVERY performance they go back and analyze how they performed. It may have looked perfect from the normal observer but they breakdown every aspect of their flight/performance to see what they did right and what they did wrong and how they can be better the next time. That is what the best of the best do to get better and stay the best.

I think that is the purpose of this thread. Some folks think rational/logical discussions about previous performance is somehow bad. This is not meant to beat up anybody as I think we all were pleased. That doesn't mean we can't objectively rate the performance and discuss what could be done better in the future.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:48 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:41 am
yikas1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:25 am
I once heard a presentation by an ex-Blue Angels pilot. He said after EVERY performance they go back and analyze how they performed. It may have looked perfect from the normal observer but they breakdown every aspect of their flight/performance to see what they did right and what they did wrong and how they can be better the next time. That is what the best of the best do to get better and stay the best.

I think that is the purpose of this thread. Some folks think rational/logical discussions about previous performance is somehow bad. This is not meant to beat up anybody as I think we all were pleased. That doesn't mean we can't objectively rate the performance and discuss what could be done better in the future.
I would imagine the coaching staff is doing that internally as well.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:10 pm

...and still no news, which leads me to believe there isn't any. On to baseball.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:07 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:10 pm
...and still no news, which leads me to believe there isn't any. On to baseball.
Immediately flipped the switch after the Wake debacle. Never looked back after the portal saga.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”