Problems at UNC may be even deeper

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Problems at UNC may be even deeper

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:16 am

From today's Greensboro News and Record via the Raleigh paper.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2012 ... ues_at_unc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appst89
Site Admin

Re: Problems at UNC may be even deeper

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:40 am

This should be interesting. The NCAA is going to be so mad at UNC-CH, they'll give UNC-P the death penalty.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:18 pm

I think you are right. I'm not a UNC fan but I fear for what is going to happen. The fuse is lit and it's going to blow. After what has happened at OSU and PSU, the Tarheels are going to take the whip. The school is going to be severely tarnished and it makes the whole state look bad.

G2ASU

Unread post by G2ASU » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:14 pm

I understand your point but generally speaking unc has looked down its nose at other sister institutions such as us for eternity. It is only human for some of us to get a little enjoyment that the high and mighty is being brought down a notch or two.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:15 pm

I can honestly say that my GPA and diploma from Carolina are both legit. The only gimme classes I took were Portugese I and II. Others in the class didn't find them quite as easy.

I'm definitely not happy that there are those who would cheapen my degree. Of course, my degree was granted over 16 years before Julius Peppers showed up in Chapel Hill.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:34 pm

This is the "Carolina Way"?

kiddbrewer

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:41 pm

fjblair wrote:The school is going to be severely tarnished and it makes the whole state look bad.
Going to be? In my opinion it already is. Unfortunately, they may bring the entire state's institutions down with it. The only way the state can plug the dam is by taking off its blinders and do something about it instead of looking the other way.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:48 pm

fjblair wrote:I think you are right. I'm not a UNC fan but I fear for what is going to happen. The fuse is lit and it's going to blow. After what has happened at OSU and PSU, the Tarheels are going to take the whip. The school is going to be severely tarnished and it makes the whole state look bad.
I foresee zero impact on APP's reputation as a result of the problems in Chapel Hill. Just like their (apparently fraudulent) successes never helped us. But fear and or worry as you see fit.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Ann Arbor wrote:I understand your point but generally speaking unc has looked down its nose at other sister institutions such as us for eternity. It is only human for some of us to get a little enjoyment that the high and mighty is being brought down a notch or two.
I agree, but the Carolina Blue tint of all sports media in NC is not going to allow the Tar Heel image to be tarnished for long. They know that any derision of the Heels costs media sales.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Ann Arbor wrote:I understand your point but generally speaking unc has looked down its nose at other sister institutions such as us for eternity. It is only human for some of us to get a little enjoyment that the high and mighty is being brought down a notch or two.
...and a notch or two is all it will be no matter how extensive this investigation goes. It's hard to change perception of saint hood. I just wish they would dig real deep into the behind the scenes of UNC basketball a little more. :evil:
a.k.a JC0429

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:01 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:I'm definitely not happy that there are those who would cheapen my degree. Of course, my degree was granted over 16 years before Julius Peppers showed up in Chapel Hill.
I honestly don't see this as cheapening a degree from UNC. Yes, it's embarrassing but the issue to specific to the athletic department.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:15 am

Yosef84 wrote: I honestly don't see this as cheapening a degree from UNC. Yes, it's embarrassing but the issue to specific to the athletic department.
I understand your point. The way I look at it is that the entire university has some responsibility in this. Thankfully, my degree is not in Afro-American studies! I'll be keeping my Carolina lifetime alumni sticker on my car along with all my adopted alma mater block A's.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:23 pm

bethca Ole Roy wishes he was back in Kansas with Dorothy and toto.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:21 pm

CVAPP wrote:
fjblair wrote:I think you are right. I'm not a UNC fan but I fear for what is going to happen. The fuse is lit and it's going to blow. After what has happened at OSU and PSU, the Tarheels are going to take the whip. The school is going to be severely tarnished and it makes the whole state look bad.
I foresee zero impact on APP's reputation as a result of the problems in Chapel Hill. Just like their (apparently fraudulent) successes never helped us. But fear and or worry as you see fit.
Lighten up dude, I didn't say there would be an impact at ASU and I don't have fear and worry for ASU. I do fear for the impact that UNC is going to take over this scandal. It's our flagship university and it's not good for the state. North Carolina and it's university system has generally managed to keep from stepping in the deep s***.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:49 pm

" It's our flagship university and it's not good for the state. North Carolina and it's university system has generally managed to keep from stepping in the deep s***.
fjblair

I see what you are saying in general but I really don't see any negativity reaching APP -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:19 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:" It's our flagship university and it's not good for the state. North Carolina and it's university system has generally managed to keep from stepping in the deep s***.
fjblair

I see what you are saying in general but I really don't see any negativity reaching APP -

Again, I don't either but it just reflects badly on the state and the university system.

jrobinson68

Unread post by jrobinson68 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:46 am

I think the state should drop all funding to "Carolina" - so that they can become the private school that they think they are. ;)

Deano

Unread post by Deano » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:21 am

This is a huge blow for UNC athletics. Seeing the penalties that the NCAA has been handling out , for example Penn State, yes I know that was a completely different scenario. But if the NCAA can find evidence of cheating and tie it to the football and basketball program, the NCAA could forfeit the past decade or more of wins in both sports which would take away a national championship from UNC. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I am sure the Duke and State fans a loving this.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 pm

fjblair wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:" It's our flagship university and it's not good for the state. North Carolina and it's university system has generally managed to keep from stepping in the deep s***.
fjblair

Again, I don't either but it just reflects badly on the state and the university system.
Maybe it would if we were UNC-Boone, or our name was some directional _____ Carolina. But we are neither. The people who live in NC know better, and frankly, a good portion are glad to hear of it. Outside of NC, many states have two or three state university systems. One for the hyphen schools, another for fake states and some even have a third for schools named after obscure historical figures.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Charlotte Observer said today that the NCAA has found no violations the African-American Studies department. UNC is changing the name of the department.
a.k.a JC0429

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”