Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Biography: WWE Legends

App_in_Maiden
School: Appalachian State

Biography: WWE Legends

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Tue May 04, 2021 5:26 pm

Not sure if there are any other wrestling fans on here, but A&E have been showing biographies on wrestlers lately. The first 3 they released were on Stone Cold, Rowdy Roddy Piper, and Macho Man. They have been very good so far. I haven’t watched wrestling since the early 2000s when the attitude era ended, but it’s always fun watching documentaries to see some behind the scenes/hear some stories.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

appdaze

Re: Biography: WWE Legends

Unread post by appdaze » Tue May 04, 2021 7:38 pm

Same here. I quit roughly 2002 ish. I loved the "Nature Boy" from the 30 for 30 series. Its just sad to see where these guys end up in life.

App_in_Maiden

Unread post by App_in_Maiden » Tue May 04, 2021 8:45 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:38 pm
Same here. I quit roughly 2002 ish. I loved the "Nature Boy" from the 30 for 30 series. Its just sad to see where these guys end up in life.
Yes that was a good documentary. Agreed on how sad it is. Majority of them self medicate with drugs and alcohol due to the pain they endure and they go on to live short lives. What strikes me the most is how they give up family time because they are constantly on the road, but I guess that is a sacrifice they make to do what they enjoy.
“I don’t like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with.” -Larry David

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue May 04, 2021 9:28 pm

Give 'em hell!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue May 04, 2021 10:39 pm

That is some seriously funny stuff.

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Thu May 06, 2021 10:26 am

I was a huge WCW/NWO fan during the Monday night wars. As a true southerner, the Jim Crocket, NWA, WCW promotion was who we all pulled for. North Carolina was alway Horseman Country. There's a good podcast called 83 weeks with Eric Bischoff where the host talks with Eric about certain Pay-per-views or Nitro's that were influential.

I agree with everyone above that it's nowhere close to what it was in 80s/90s. I will however catch All Elite Wrestling on TNT on Wednesday nights. They have Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone doing commentary which takes me back to old school WCW days. They also have some older guys who are managers like Tully Blanchard, Arn Anderson, & Jake "The Snake" Roberts with a few older guys still wrestling like Sting & Chris Jericho.
As a huge Sting fan, I probably will quite watching when he leaves.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu May 06, 2021 6:16 pm

The A&E documentaries are WWE propaganda trash, depending on who they like or don't like at the moment.

VICE's Dark Side of the Ring, with a couple exceptions like the Montreal Screwjob and the Fabulous Moolah story to some extent, has done really well in covering pro wrestling stories. They're on YouTube.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu May 06, 2021 6:54 pm

Macho man, Rey Mysterio, Raven, Sting, Kane, Undertaker we my favorites.

Some entertaining ones in the 90's were Disco Inferno, The Cat, The Steiner Brothers, D Gen C, The Hart family, Stone Cold.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the Hulk, Rock, The Giant, Lex Lugar, Goldberg, or Mick Foley.

My first live event was a Monday Night Nitro in CLT.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 pm

While I was stationed in Yorktown, VA with the Coast Guard, my friends and I would go to The Hampton Coliseum on a regular basis to watch the best that ever was. Wahoo McDaniel, The Four Horsemen, Gene and Ole Anderson, etc. Roudy Roddy Piper was one of the best, second only to The Nature Boy:

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Fri May 07, 2021 7:26 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:53 pm
While I was stationed in Yorktown, VA with the Coast Guard, my friends and I would go to The Hampton Coliseum on a regular basis to watch the best that ever was. Wahoo McDaniel, The Four Horsemen, Gene and Ole Anderson, etc. Roudy Roddy Piper was one of the best, second only to The Nature Boy:
I saw Wahoo McDaniel play in the GGO pro-am back in the 70’s. He could hit a golf ball too! He played with Lee Trevino and Trevino had a hard time keeping up with him.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:42 am

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to Charlotte Park Center. I"m Big Bill Ward and this is Championship Wrestling. Tonight we have the largest card ever assembled: George Becker and Johnny Weaver; George and Sandy, The Flying Scotts; Big Boy Brown and Tiny Anderson; Abe Jacobs; Greg Valentine; Bronco Lubich and Aldo Bogni (with manager Homer Odell); Tex Mackenzie; Two Ton Harris; Rip "The Profile" Hawk and Swede Hansen; Hiro Matsuta; Argentine Apollo; and last but not least the reigning heavyweight champion, Dusty "The American Dream" Rhodes!"
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri May 07, 2021 10:03 am

Lived in Charlotte for about 5 years back in ‘87-‘91ish. Not only did I get the first Hornets team and some fun games but we used to see lots of the wrestlers around town. Was at a club one night with a buddy and we were at the bar with a couple of the 4 Horsemen. Ric Flair came in one night at the same place and nobody gave him a second look. Ran into Sting at a Bennigan’s. Pretty routine back then.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri May 07, 2021 10:28 am

My brother was rounding a corner in Myrtle Beach one summer and almost bumped into Ric Flair. He said they talked for a short while, said he was a down to earth/very likeable person.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon May 10, 2021 7:38 am

scatman77 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:42 am
"Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to Charlotte Park Center. I"m Big Bill Ward and this is Championship Wrestling. Tonight we have the largest card ever assembled: George Becker and Johnny Weaver; George and Sandy, The Flying Scotts; Big Boy Brown and Tiny Anderson; Abe Jacobs; Greg Valentine; Bronco Lubich and Aldo Bogni (with manager Homer Odell); Tex Mackenzie; Two Ton Harris; Rip "The Profile" Hawk and Swede Hansen; Hiro Matsuta; Argentine Apollo; and last but not least the reigning heavyweight champion, Dusty "The American Dream" Rhodes!"
Scat, did you leave out The Great Bolo and Andre the Giant on purpose?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:51 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:38 am
scatman77 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:42 am
Scat, did you leave out The Great Bolo and Andre the Giant on purpose?
No, I just had a brain cramp and forgot. The Bolo and The Great Bolo, Andre the Giant, Nelson Royal (who owned a tack store in Mooresville), The Missouri Mauler, The Amazing Zuma, Cyclone Negro, Wahoo McDaniel, Sailor Art Thomas, Brute Bernard and Skull Murphy.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

AZAppGrad

Unread post by AZAppGrad » Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 pm

I had the pleasure of meeting and sharing an adult beverage with Richard Blood (aka Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat) once. His 1st ex-wife worked fo me at the time. I really enjoyed watching him in the ring. Great guy and a heck of a showman.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Razon Ramon and Diesel for me.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Fri May 14, 2021 12:57 pm

Big Bill Ward, add Blackjack Mulligan, Bobo Brazil, Skull Murphy and Brute Bernard. Also, Haystacks Calhoun. Gordon Solie would loan Charlotte The Gladiator, the Briscoe Brothers, Cyclone Negre and The Great Milenko with Igor.

AZAppGrad

Unread post by AZAppGrad » Fri May 14, 2021 2:54 pm

I was a huge fan of George “The Animal” Steele...loved to watch him eat those turnbuckles!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”