Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Gamecock Prez Resigns

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Gamecock Prez Resigns

Unread post by NewApp » Thu May 13, 2021 2:02 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/univ-south-c ... 17727.html

MEG KINNARD
Wed, May 12, 2021, 8:29 PM
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — The embattled president of the University of South Carolina resigned on Wednesday, days after he delivered a commencement address marred by allegations of plagiarism and a misidentification of the school itself.

In a news release, the school announced that the chairman of its board of trustees had accepted Bob Caslen's resignation, thanking him for his service.

Harris Pastides, Caslen's immediate predecessor who led the system for 11 years, will serve on an interim basis during a search for a permanent replacement, officials said.

The board last weekend refused Caslen's verbal resignation offer. It came as Caslen acknowledged taking two paragraphs without attribution from a speech by Adm. William McRaven, the Navy SEAL in charge of the mission to take out terrorist leader Osama bin Laden.

Caslen, who delivered the address to graduates on Friday, had called that an oversight. He also referred to the school as the “University of California” during his remarks.

I guess "App a lay shun" was not so bad after all.

Caslen’s rise to the presidency in 2019 had been met with criticism. Student and faculty leaders opposed the retired general and U.S. Military Academy superintendent, arguing he lacked qualifications, such as a doctoral degree or university research experience, and knew little about the school. That year, the faculty Senate unanimously approved a no confidence vote.

Caslen’s supporters touted his 43 years in the military and five years as superintendent of West Point. He had the support of Gov. Henry McMaster and Republican lawmakers who suggested he could bring federal programs to the school and a share of federal money. McMaster, an ex officio board member, also personally called trustees at the time, urging them to convene a special meeting to vote on Caslen.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

GregPercussion

Re: Gamecock Prez Resigns

Unread post by GregPercussion » Thu May 13, 2021 8:28 am

I'm a clemson alum too, they have been having a field day with this. I didn't think it was going to lead to them resigning, but wow!

Neer86

Unread post by Neer86 » Thu May 13, 2021 11:31 am

so now UNC-Cheat is joined by USC-Cheat...

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Fri May 14, 2021 5:45 am

Hard to understand how this happened. The University of California slip was awkward and certainly unintended.

But one would imagine a man who led the US Military Academy would be the poster boy for ethics. Why he plagiarized is a total mystery. I don't say this in jest, but maybe he's dealing with some medical/psych issues?

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 am

I heard he had copied and pasted the plagiarized remarks from a speech given at the University of California and someone forgot to change the school name in the speech. Geez

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:23 am

Guys get old. I'm sure he was on top of his game back in the day but there comes a point where it's really best for everyone to start slowing down before you embarrass yourself.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm

I believe Darla Moore, the big donor, was miffed that the BOT did not offer her the job (even though she’d have probably turned it down, she wanted the pleasure of being offered it). She has put the heat on the just resigned prez and board in the past year. Then the prez blew it with the speech (sounds like a last minute student preparation - borrow someone else’s work and forget to proof read it).

The BOT member that lives here in the neighborhood is shut-mouthed about it. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri May 14, 2021 12:55 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:45 am
Hard to understand how this happened. The University of California slip was awkward and certainly unintended.

But one would imagine a man who led the US Military Academy would be the poster boy for ethics. Why he plagiarized is a total mystery. I don't say this in jest, but maybe he's dealing with some medical/psych issues?
It certainly puts mispronouncing Appalachian in perspective.

Secondly. there has been enough scandals at the military schools that this need not surprise anyone. They are neither worse nor better than most decent people.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Fri May 14, 2021 4:30 pm

Cro-Magnon App wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm
I believe Darla Moore, the big donor, was miffed that the BOT did not offer her the job (even though she’d have probably turned it down, she wanted the pleasure of being offered it). She has put the heat on the just resigned prez and board in the past year. Then the prez blew it with the speech (sounds like a last minute student preparation - borrow someone else’s work and forget to proof read it).

The BOT member that lives here in the neighborhood is shut-mouthed about it. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Darla Moore and the University and the BOT have been at odds for awhile. I’m guessing since she was taken off the BOT by Nikki Haley and then showed her disdain for the hiring of Caslen things haven’t been great.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”