Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Question for college athletes and their parents.

AppfaninCAALand
School: Appalachian State

Question for college athletes and their parents.

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:47 pm

So I believe we have some former App athletes and/or parents on this board, as well as folks who know a thing or two about college athletic recruiting. I have a question about the process. Specifically, does anyone have suggestions on how I should approach it as a parent.

We were recently excited to learn my oldest daughter was named by USA Field Hockey as one of the top rising 8th graders in the country - based on her performance at a recent string of evaluation camps she has been attending. She works very hard but this was a bit of a shock to us, as she is not the star of her club team and runs like she is carrying a giant TV on her back. She does, however, have a great attitude, rarely makes on-field mistakes, and has a lot of the intangible qualities coaches seem to value.

Up this point, while I am very supportive of her, deep down I was skeptical whenever she would talk of playing DI hockey. So my question is what should I do early on to see it through?

She and her younger sisters all play for a great club here in Richmond that has put many girls onto college teams (including a current App hockey player), so obviously they are our #1 resource. But I thought, in light of the recent news we received, I would seek out some other outside opinions as well. First and foremost, I should probably take her goals more seriously (not that I don't already).

She has attended college camps at UVA in the past, but they were non-existant last summer and still very limited now, so I guess the college camps should start in earnest next year.

My wife and I's biggest concern is she will jump on a school that offers her a chance to play without thinking if it is the right fit for her academically and socially. She wants to be an architect and the list of schools that play field hockey and offer an architecture program can probably be counted on two hands. How should we target those schools?

Thanks

appdaze

Re: Question for college athletes and their parents.

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:29 am

1. Protect her from cheap recruiters and yes men. (the kind that recruit you then ghost you or over recruit) Have recruiters go through you instead of your kid as much as possible. It can help her from being overwhelmed and helps you deflect any BS. If she is getting ranked like that then expect the NAIA-DII schools to start mailing information in the coming years.
2. Make sure she gets to still be a kid.
3. Don't let her burn out. (This is a big problem these days)
4. Read the rules on recruiting and what the different divisions are allowed or not allowed to do.
5. Visit any campus before accepting a scholarship.
6. UVA has field hockey and architecture. Or Syracuse....had a coworker at one point who played there and wasn't afraid to remind you.

This was the only year I advised kids to take what schollies they could get as the free covid year is causing spots not to open as normal for this coming year. All that will be cleared up though soon and the process will get back to normal.

Lucky #7. Don't stress. Enjoy the hell out of it. Sit back, crack one open, and watch her knock someone's teeth out and get "paid" to do it.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:54 am

If I had to guess, I would believe field hockey may not be well funded sport as an Olympic sport. As such, recruiting dollars may be limited for some or many schools. I would consider sending tapes to all the schools that have good architecture programs and that offer field hockey programs as well as target and attending summer camps of these schools. There is nothing more important than building relationships with current players and coaches in a particular program.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:56 am

When it comes time, and there is still plenty of time; she should pick the school that she wants to be associated with for the rest of her life. In other words, could she be happy there if she never saw the field?

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:59 am

Number 1, she's an 8th grader so there is plenty of time and opportunity to grow, mature, improve. As parents of children who've gone through adolescence can attest they'll change their minds every other week.
Number 2, with field hockey I'd recommend making sure the academics is top-notch with her. More likely than not she'll get more $$$ via academics than the sport.
Number 3, once the academics is settled then for the sport go where she's wanted; not where she's needed.

Best of luck! Enjoy the ride and make sure your BS detector is fully operational as someone alluded to earlier.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:16 pm

appdaze wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:29 am
If she is getting ranked like that then expect the NAIA-DII schools to start mailing information in the coming years.
We have received 5 letters from DIII schools in the two weeks since the USA Hockey list came out. (Of the "come to our camp" variety). But UVA is her dream school.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”