Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Starting tomorrow, NCAA athletes can make money from endorsements

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: Starting tomorrow, NCAA athletes can make money from endorsements

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:25 pm

This is a clusterf*** isn’t it?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:50 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:25 pm
This is a clusterf*** isn’t it?
Yup.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:53 pm

I agree completely with the principle of allowing players to earn income for the likeness. What I dislike is how it has been implemented (or really how the rule was changed overnight). I just want the players to be prepared to handle what is going to come to them and be responsible with the windfall. Otherwise, more power to them. They’ve earned it (as have the thousands before them who couldn’t legally earn it but may have still be, albeit under the table).

These players are no different than the “influencers” and professional athletes who endorse products. It’s gonna be Wild West for a little while, but it will settle down and rules will eventually be put in place to answer a lot of questions. Just hope no one gets caught out in a bad tax situation.
Give 'em hell!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:16 pm

I have not read through all the new rules yet as i'm going to ket the dust settle some before I do. Some questions I'm sure will get answered in court or elsewhere.

Can athletes hire agents to aid in attaining endorsements?

How could this affect donations to schools? Will donors choose to give to players instead of the school for influential or other reasons?

Will schools with massive alumni bases have an advantage over smaller ones? Texas, ucla, ohio state, etc vs duke, uconn, boise state, colorado etc.... More access to big donors or crowdfunded movements to support the recruitment of specific players. Will this money replace the perceived exposure of say a Duke?

How will Olympic sports get affected by gaining access to the real olympic games sponsors.

I have so many more questions that probably won't get answered for a few years while all this gets hammered out in courts because they aren't done.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:23 pm

A box of Pandora.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:33 pm

I am a little mixed on how I feel about the whole situation. The people who are all on board with this who are in the camp of “these poor student athletes are taken advantage of” blah, blah, blah. The schools make millions off of their backs and they get nothing. I’m not totally in favor of that argument. The ones who say- “these kids get a free education, free this and free that, blah, blah, blah”. Not totally on that side either.

I really don’t get why that poor kid whose parents/family can’t afford to give him a dime for spending money can’t be given a grant which is basically free money. He or she could use that grant for extra spending money right?

This deal will get so out of hand quickly. I envision the delusional guy who anticipates this massive influx of cash so that he can ride around campus in a new ride and can flash the cash because he’s the star QB at awesome P5 U.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:01 pm

Look - anyone with a clue knew this was coming - including the jokers at the NCAA offices. I have no problem with the athletes getting what they can and there could have been guidelines and regs established but Emmert and his flunkies had their heads in the sand - I agree that I think this will play itself into some type of controlled craziness. What we want is for the players on our favorite teams and sports to perform at their peak levels and if they can do this while handling their NIL business why should we be concerned?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:46 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:33 pm
I am a little mixed on how I feel about the whole situation. The people who are all on board with this who are in the camp of “these poor student athletes are taken advantage of” blah, blah, blah. The schools make millions off of their backs and they get nothing. I’m not totally in favor of that argument. The ones who say- “these kids get a free education, free this and free that, blah, blah, blah”. Not totally on that side either.

I really don’t get why that poor kid whose parents/family can’t afford to give him a dime for spending money can’t be given a grant which is basically free money. He or she could use that grant for extra spending money right?

This deal will get so out of hand quickly. I envision the delusional guy who anticipates this massive influx of cash so that he can ride around campus in a new ride and can flash the cash because he’s the star QB at awesome P5 U.
This is a good post
YNWA

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:20 am

Let’s just say this doesn’t help rural G5 colleges in the competitiveness department.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:27 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:20 am
Let’s just say this doesn’t help rural G5 colleges in the competitiveness department.
Agree 100%. Larger population density areas mean more opportunities to get enforcement deals. In addition, the communications by said sponsors will be to try to influence decisions of these kids versus the more traditional "go where you feel most comfortable"...not in every case however it will impact some kids.. In theory, I agree with the kids being able to get compensated given the amount of time out in and money made by universities via athletics. However, this will be one of the consequences of the new landscape. Be interesting to see how plays out in 5 to 10 years. Will USC and UCLA, as an example, dominate the PAC 12 as they are in the most population density city in PAC 12 and LAX is loaded with people throwing away money, etc.

5 to 10 years from now..of the G5 in NC, does it help UNCC given size of city located as ABC carwash endorsees player A....DEF car wash endorsees player B, etc...In Boone there is only one ABC carwash to endorse any player. I realize App St reach may be more than just Boone...however the local population densities may play into opportunities in future.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:31 am

I'm not so sure about this scenario - say, in Charlotte, - It's a professional sports town and tell me who would pay a UNCC player any type of substantial money to rep a product? - I would say most of the greater Charlotte area couldn't tell you the names of 5 UNCC athletes -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:13 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:31 am
I'm not so sure about this scenario - say, in Charlotte, - It's a professional sports town and tell me who would pay a UNCC player any type of substantial money to rep a product? - I would say most of the greater Charlotte area couldn't tell you the names of 5 UNCC athletes -
Totally agree. I believe that for the most part this will be the case at 95% of the schools. You will absolutely have those kids who THINK they are worthy of some endorsement compensation but in reality it isn’t gonna happen. The desperate few will take what they can get even if it puts them in a position of possibly jeopardizing eligibility. Young folks with nothing will take $10 grand and run.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:43 am

To me, it does seem this will give a potential advantage to the urban schools. It lends SOME strength to the whole markets approach. That said, before those athletes will really be able to command significant endorsements, the programs have to be a desirable commodity. Right now, if Charlotte football players (or basketball) show up on a commercial, most people are just going "who is that"? If they manage to catch some success, it could add to their momentum though.

I think App has a broad fan base and our athletes have potential appeal in several markets outside of Boone though. I think we will be fine as long as we market ourselves appropriately. My biggest concern is what someone mentioned above. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the contributions from companies to programs.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:13 am

I see People’s has already signed with a rep company…

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:52 am

canes_mj wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:40 pm
App91 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:26 am
For you Podcast listeners, go and check out Marty Smith's America and the episode with the guy from Drexel and how they are handling. This is going to be interesting and some "wild-wild west" scenarios
Do you mean the one with the guy from Duquesne? I assume that's the one you were talking about and I downloaded it and just finished it...you're right, it was an excellent episode and fascinating listening.

Schools would do well to employ people like Jordan Rooney to help guide these players. All of the things he mentioned re developing your brand, maximizing it, and leveraging that when you have your maximum potential at the right time when the most interest is on you...that's all applicable to anyone in any industry.
yep thats it got the schools mixed up, couldn't spell Duke-ques-knee

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:12 am

This is certainly going to be wild with players in the big money sports. And that is rightly what gets people talking and where the excesses will be.

But what I wonder is how these changes affect the more mundane activities of other non-revenue players. For example, there is a young lady affiliated with my daughters' field hockey club in town who signed to play DI hockey in the fall. During this girl's junior high school year she worked with the club coaching the grade-schoolers, and was paid a small token stipend by the club director for her time. It was equal to a part time job for her. Once she signed however, the U of Delaware told her, under NCAA rules, she could no longer get paid for hockey related activities, so during her senior year this year she is coaching for free (and only getting "community service credit" required by her HS). This is not related obviously to any big-money, big-star recruiting violations, it's a HS girl's part time job and related to probably the least followed of all NCAA sports. It seems to me that it is stuff like this which is really unfair about the prior NCAA rules. Why shouldn't a player be allowed to have a part time job?

While big endorsement deals by star QBs grab headlines, what I really wonder is if stuff like what I described above is also going to be allowed now, because it should. It is the type of change that would affect far more student athletes than these big money deals do.

Its is old example of the student on a music scholarship is able to play gigs on weekends at a local pub for cash but but the student on a softball scholarship can't help at youth softball clinics for cash (or heck even run Doordash in her free time.) That is what really needs to change.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:09 am

Oh the horror…

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:19 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:09 am

Oh the horror…
Oh the horror is right. What the heck is he doing eating all those Fries. :lol: :lol: :lol: He needs to get in the best shape of his career headed into this year.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:59 pm

Don’t you remember being that age? He could eat 20 baskets of those and still lose weight 😂
Give 'em hell!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:07 pm

That's a good looking basket ....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”