Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Charlotte Checkers

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Charlotte Checkers

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:15 am

Are third from last place in the Atlantic Division. They sure have sucked since the Hurricanes sold them. Highlight was playing the out door matches.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: Charlotte Checkers

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:55 pm

I did not think the Hurricanes owned them but was just had an affiliation agreement with the Checkers. They are over 500 for the year so far so not sucking but not doing stellar either. Last year they ended top 1/3 in AHL. Everyone's has their own definition of "sucks" but I would refer to them as decent. The wife and I went to a game last year and it was fun. I had not been to the old coliseum in many years.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:39 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:55 pm
I did not think the Hurricanes owned them but was just had an affiliation agreement with the Checkers. They are over 500 for the year so far so not sucking but not doing stellar either. Last year they ended top 1/3 in AHL. Everyone's has their own definition of "sucks" but I would refer to them as decent. The wife and I went to a game last year and it was fun. I had not been to the old coliseum in many years.

The games are absolutely nothing like when the Hurricanes had them. They are on a season losing streak unless they won last night. No atmosphere. No "halftime" except that stupid car riding around and suckers throwing foam pucks at the hole in the roof. No dance team. No meet the players on the ice. Gear sucks and is over priced. Boring. Only thing they have is they always have a youth group sing the National Anthem and EVERYONE stands with their hat off and hand on their heart. Don't see much of that at other sporting events.

And yes, whatever an affiliate means. Anyway Checker players got moved up to the Hurricanes (and down from) quite frequently.
Google SUX

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:56 pm

Ownership has been the same since 2006.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:38 pm

Charlotte philanthropist, Dr Michael Kahn, has owned the current Checkers franchise since 2010 when he bought the Albany River Rats franchise and moved them to Charlotte and changed their name to the Checkers. This replaced the Checkers team he already owned, a franchise for a lower league, the ECHL. The former franchise team played from 1993-2010. Checkmates were the Checkers dance team for 15 years up until 2-3 years ago and ended more due to pandemic, not change of ownership and they’ve never been owned by the Hurricanes. The current franchise inherited the River Rats’s affiliation with the Hurricanes in 2010. The affiliation with the Hurricanes was ended during the Pandemic. The 2018-19 Checkers team was arguably the best Charlotte hockey team history.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:45 pm

As a Penguins fan, I always felt a little dirty pulling for the Checkers during their Hurricanes affiliation. I may be the only one who feels like this, but I'm glad they're now with a different team.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:03 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:56 pm
The Hurricanes logo has been dropped from the scoreboard and from all gear. I have no idea who owns them but they are now affiliated with the Florida Panthers of the NHL. They have had plenty of time to reinstall the perks of atmosphere they had before the pandemic.
Google SUX

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:10 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:03 pm
JTApps1 wrote:
The Hurricanes logo has been dropped from the scoreboard and from all gear. I have no idea who owns them but they are now affiliated with the Florida Panthers of the NHL.
They have never been owned by the Hurricanes. That's not how it works in minor league hockey. The Hurricanes currently have no AFL affiliate. 'Canes prospects play all over the world when not laced up with the big club.
WE ARE YOSEF!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:55 pm

NewApp wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
The Hurricanes logo has been dropped from the scoreboard and from all gear. I have no idea who owns them but they are now affiliated with the Florida Panthers of the NHL. They have had plenty of time to reinstall the perks of atmosphere they had before the pandemic.
I have no idea how you have no idea who owns them when the answer was posted two posts before yours.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:29 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:39 pm
Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:55 pm

The games are absolutely nothing like when the Hurricanes had them. They are on a season losing streak unless they won last night. No atmosphere. No "halftime" except that stupid car riding around and suckers throwing foam pucks at the hole in the roof. No dance team. No meet the players on the ice. Gear sucks and is over priced. Boring. Only thing they have is they always have a youth group sing the National Anthem and EVERYONE stands with their hat off and hand on their heart. Don't see much of that at other sporting events.

And yes, whatever an affiliate means. Anyway Checker players got moved up to the Hurricanes (and down from) quite frequently.
Don't read if you are triggered by people that don't really care for the national anthem.

I guess you were not at the game when I was there as I have not stood for the national anthem for sporting event for so many years I can't remember when I last did it. Maybe when I was a child. Even then I was certainly not placing my hand over my heart that I can remember. But to each their own and I am glad you are able to show your feelings just as I am able to show my patriotism as I feel appropriate. (I am not really sure what that has to do with the atmosphere at the game as the owners and staff have nothing to do with what is happening in the stands at that point.)

And I had a great time. Exciting game with a blowout by the Checkers and the crowd was into the game enough. But that was last year. The mood may be a bit different this year and they were winning when I was there. I think they did loss some positions after I attended .

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:33 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:55 pm
NewApp wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
I have no idea how you have no idea who owns them when the answer was posted two posts before yours.
I have no idea how you have no idea that NewApp has no idea who owns the Checkers. You know he thinks Google sux, and I found out by using Google.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:43 pm

Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:33 pm
NewApp wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
I have no idea how you have no idea that NewApp has no idea who owns the Checkers. You know he thinks Google sux, and I found out by using Google.
I have no idea how you have no idea that I have no idea that Cline has no idea how to use Google so I did it for him and posted the answer and still he has no idea.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:21 am

NewApp wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
Well EXCUSE me. What I meant was I HAD no idea and don't care. But as far as influence goes, the Hurricanes certainly had influence and it was positive.
Google SUX

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:13 am

How sad.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:33 am

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:13 am
How sad.
Which part? So many options to choose from in this thread.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:33 am

NewApp wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:21 am
NewApp wrote:
JTApps1 wrote:
Well EXCUSE me. What I meant was I HAD no idea and don't care. But as far as influence goes, the Hurricanes certainly had influence and it was positive.
Actually the Checkers had cooler colors and better uniforms before the Hurricanes affiliation/rebrand. The Checkers brand goes all the way back to 1960 (the franchise was the Clippers from '56-'59) and their Eastern Hockey League days (you, should Google it!). They've played in the original Charlotte Coliseum since that season except for a few years in Spectrum. Thankfully, management moved them back to the classic building after a nice renovation. The Checkers are by far the longest running sports brand in Charlotte (even though the brand has been shared by several different franchises.)

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:44 am

AppDub wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:33 am
bcoach wrote:
How sad.
Mission accomplished.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:51 am

AppDub wrote:
bcoach wrote:
How sad.
Well the only one...............you know it's just not worth it.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:52 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:51 am
AppDub wrote:
bcoach wrote:
How sad.
Well the only one...............you know it's just not worth it.
Walk away, fellas. Just walk away.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”