Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Is it time to rethink the sports we offer ?

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Re: Is it time to rethink the sports we offer ?

Unread post by bcoach » Fri May 10, 2024 8:28 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:51 am
bcoach wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:47 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:36 am
If college athletics begins the 'revenue sharing" that is being tossed around at the P5 level and like new AD at Texas A-M recently made staff cuts/layoffs is happening, you best believe App State will be cutting 2/3 sports in the future.

DG wanted to cut Golf in 2020, Big Money Man Ricks said no.

I could very well see non scholarship sports in the department if this transpires or it will be bare min to meet title 9 requirements, non revenue / country club sports will get the slash.
You have to have revenue to be able to share it. We and many others survive on student fees. In the wake of heavy student debt those fees are being looked at very seriously. Boy wasn't paying players more than we have been a great idea?
For the big schools specifically, hopefully revenue sharing slows dow facility enhancements and the bells and whistles to attract kids.
It may, but how about the rest of us. Paying players more than we have been was a bad idea from day one. Very short sighted thinking. As much as we want to be the same as the big boys, we are not. As much as we want to compete with the big boys, we can not.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Fri May 10, 2024 9:03 am

bcoach wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:03 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:38 am
bcoach wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:19 am
The question was would you notice and not who is winning championships. The fact that they are winning championships and people would not notice is actually kind of telling.
Wrestling adds more seats every year and has grown attendance after going to ticketed entry with rising prices. People would notice even if you don't care.
Don't take my comment so personal. I have nothing against wrestling, it's just that I and many others would not notice. That does not mean I feel we should get rid of it. I hope it flourishes for those who follow it. I regret it when we eliminate any sport because it is an opportunity for the kids. There are just some I and others would not notice. The question was not should we eliminate it, was would some notice.

Wrestling would be missed. What coach has done over the last decade plus, is nothing short of remarkable. Summer camps boost that sport a lot, and the local support for the sport is great. I would implore you to go to a match next season, specifically when an ACC opponent is at Varsity Gym. You need to feel that energy.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 10, 2024 9:27 am

bcoach wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 8:28 am
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
If college athletics begins the 'revenue sharing" that is being tossed around at the P5 level and like new AD at Texas A-M recently made staff cuts/layoffs is happening, you best believe App State will be cutting 2/3 sports in the future.

I could very well see non scholarship sports in the department if this transpires or it will be bare min to meet title 9 requirements, non revenue / country club sports will get the slash.
You have to have revenue to be able to share it. We and many others survive on student fees. In the wake of heavy student debt those fees are being looked at very seriously. Boy wasn't paying players more than we have been a great idea?
For the big schools specifically, hopefully revenue sharing slows dow facility enhancements and the bells and whistles to attract kids.
It may, but how about the rest of us. Paying players more than we have been was a bad idea from day one. Very short sighted thinking. As much as we want to be the same as the big boys, we are not. As much as we want to compete with the big boys, we can not.
Hate to sound flippant but it is what it is. You can’t put the genie back in the bottle now. Best that can be hoped for is that donors funding these payments get frustrated with the ROI and just stop committing resources to it.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri May 10, 2024 10:27 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
I would like the non-scholarship intercolliegate club sports (such as lacrosse or ice hockey) currently run thru the rec dept be treated more like real university athletics in small ways - recognition on campus, schedules easily available on a common website, merch sold in the bookstore, etc, perhaps with more athletic department admin support. It would be a cheap way to make it feel like the school has a bigger athletic department than it does.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri May 10, 2024 3:01 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:27 am
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:

Hate to sound flippant but it is what it is. You can’t put the genie back in the bottle now. Best that can be hoped for is that donors funding these payments get frustrated with the ROI and just stop committing resources to it.
I agree. I just get so frustrated with people who can't see/think past tomorrow.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri May 10, 2024 3:10 pm

Tru2ASU wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:03 am
bcoach wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 12:03 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:38 am
bcoach wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:19 am
The question was would you notice and not who is winning championships. The fact that they are winning championships and people would not notice is actually kind of telling.
Wrestling adds more seats every year and has grown attendance after going to ticketed entry with rising prices. People would notice even if you don't care.
Don't take my comment so personal. I have nothing against wrestling, it's just that I and many others would not notice. That does not mean I feel we should get rid of it. I hope it flourishes for those who follow it. I regret it when we eliminate any sport because it is an opportunity for the kids. There are just some I and others would not notice. The question was not should we eliminate it, was would some notice.

Wrestling would be missed. What coach has done over the last decade plus, is nothing short of remarkable. Summer camps boost that sport a lot, and the local support for the sport is great. I would implore you to go to a match next season, specifically when an ACC opponent is at Varsity Gym. You need to feel that energy.
Again I am NOT advocating for eliminating the sport. I just have no interest and many feel the same way. I get your passion as I have the same for Hockey. I also understand that many, many people would never notice if it were gone. I absolutly love the game and have season tickets and sponsorship for a local minor league team. but many times can not give tickets away. So again the question was simply would people notice. I truly hope that every sport that can be supported grows in interest. Now we need mens and womens Lacrosse :D

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:28 pm

bcoach wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 3:01 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:27 am
bcoach wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

I agree. I just get so frustrated with people who can't see/think past tomorrow.
Agree. “The win today, worry about tomorrow tomorrow.” Crowd are generally the same once that will complain when we are losing tomorrow.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:20 am

I think we should review which former athletic alumni by sport give the most per capita and keep those. By bet is golf stays.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun May 12, 2024 2:43 am

appfanjj wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:00 pm
IF funds were to be reinvested in other programs baseball might be one to look at closely. We play in a marquee conference and there is a ton of interest in college baseball. Not sure how additional funds would really make a difference but in my opinion we aren't very far off from becoming a program that could actually contend for post season play.
Just a question. Didn't we advance in baseball when Pollard was coaching or was that before we joined the SB?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun May 12, 2024 2:45 am

Just noticed in an email from the interim chancellor's office that we only had 80 student athlete graduates this term. Is that a small number for 16 sports and overall 4100 graduates?

As to Wrestling, I think WataugaMan would likely disagree with minimizing the impact of our wrestling program in the overall scheme of things.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue May 14, 2024 1:41 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 2:43 am
appfanjj wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:00 pm
IF funds were to be reinvested in other programs baseball might be one to look at closely. We play in a marquee conference and there is a ton of interest in college baseball. Not sure how additional funds would really make a difference but in my opinion we aren't very far off from becoming a program that could actually contend for post season play.
Just a question. Didn't we advance in baseball when Pollard was coaching or was that before we joined the SB?
2012 with Pollard. We had a big chance to build off that when we joined the SBC but we had a bad hire in Billy Jones, woof. That set us back 5 years.
SoCon was good for 1 or 2 bids/year.
Sun Belt seems to be anywhere from 4-6. Ranked the 5th best conference this year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”