Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Track teams

AppStateNews
School: Appalachian State

Re: Track teams

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue May 18, 2021 10:07 pm

I don't disagree at all that removing the track before giving them a home was wrong. I think killing the men's indoor program was a crappy move. However, I also know money speaks. If it weren't for NCAA and conference total team requirements, App simply wouldn't have any kind of track team (except for maybe women's for Title IX).

As cliche as it sounds, we've done more with less for years. Being able to support what we have with how little we get is really miraculous. We have one of the lowest percentage of donating alumni in the country.

There's no doubt the track and field team got the shaft. I also agree a location for them should have been in place before the NEZ complex. While it sucks, losing the indoor men's team was done in a way to continue to help the student athletes.

Other sports may take way more per student athlete to run, but those other sports also get WAY more from NCAA sanctioned events. Basketball for example -- when conference mates make a run in the tournament, we get a large amount of money. Same with baseball and softball (albeit, smaller amounts, but more than T&F would provide).

At the end of the day, it was a hard business decision that, IMO, was handled poorly.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed May 19, 2021 8:04 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:50 pm
Most people on this board were all for removing the track so that we didn’t look high schoolish. I love the look. I ask this question because I really have no idea what is involved but would it have been possible to simply cover the track in temporary turf then roll it up for meets? Again, I know zip about this stuff but I’m just thinking out loud.
The NEZ building would be much farther away and the SEZ hill would have been either not brought in closer or every year regraded and removed each winter at a huge expense.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed May 19, 2021 9:41 pm

“As cliche as it sounds, we've done more with less for years. Being able to support what we have with how little we get is really miraculous. We have one of the lowest percentage of donating alumni in the country.”
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^%%
Every time we start asking “why?” About something....before you do, remember what AppStateNews said....
And I shudder to think how we would have navigated this with Cobb instead of Gillen. I hate it, especially the loss of soccer but we are in a lose lose to prevent anything without $$$$

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 20, 2021 10:58 am

The Conference needs to revisit its requirements for membership.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu May 20, 2021 11:11 am

Stonewall wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:58 am
The Conference needs to revisit its requirements for membership.
How so, specifically?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri May 21, 2021 1:21 pm

Eliminate the non-football playing schools.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri May 21, 2021 4:53 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:21 pm
That might and probably would create an even greater reason to discontinue some of our "minor" sports since there would be less intra-conference opponents.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun May 23, 2021 2:27 pm

"Post by T-Dog » Sun May 16, 2021 11:09 pm

It's a failure of athletics to not have a home track and field facility for multiple years. But hey, at least certain gonzos get to brag about no longer having a track around the football field. Also having more parking for the athletics center while not having enough outdoor tennis courts to hold 6 matches at once looks bush league."

Love that post, T-dog
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon May 24, 2021 10:23 am

NewApp wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 4:53 pm
Stonewall wrote:
That might and probably would create an even greater reason to discontinue some of our "minor" sports since there would be less intra-conference opponents.
Given the economics it looks like that's where we are heading.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon May 24, 2021 6:31 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:23 am
NewApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Probably so. However the 50 million smackers for the NEZ would have a gone a pretty fair amount of the way to creating decent soccer and track facilities. Of course asu66 says we already have a basic pitch (whatever that is)...and I can't disagree.
Google SUX

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:24 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:31 pm
Stonewall wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Probably so. However the 50 million smackers for the NEZ would have a gone a pretty fair amount of the way to creating decent soccer and track facilities. Of course asu66 says we already have a basic pitch (whatever that is)...and I can't disagree.
Where did you see anything about a basic pitch? Chuck can certainly defend himself, but that is just a blatant, and apparently intentional misrepresentation of what he said.

And here is exactly what he said:
"The ASU Soccer Stadium seats 1,000 comfortably, has a modern press facility complete with broadband\fiber optic connectivity to stream game videocasts live over AppVision and has a new field house providing locker and dressing facilities for both the ASU Women's team and formerly for the ASU Men's team. The pitch also provides multiple paved parking areas."

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue May 25, 2021 8:48 am

appst89 wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:24 am
NewApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Where did you see anything about a basic pitch? Chuck can certainly defend himself, but that is just a blatant, and apparently intentional misrepresentation of what he said.

"The ASU Soccer Stadium seats 1,000 comfortably, has a modern press facility complete with broadband\fiber optic connectivity to stream game videocasts live over AppVision and has a new field house providing locker and dressing facilities for both the ASU Women's team and formerly for the ASU Men's team. The pitch also provides multiple paved parking areas."
Since I know very little about soccer, on the surface, that description sounds like good set up. I should not have said anything about it given that I don’t know what is good, what is mediocre, and what is outstanding about a soccer facility. NOTHING blatant or nefarious about the intentions my post.
Last edited by NewApp on Tue May 25, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue May 25, 2021 8:58 am

BTW, will our soccer facility planned for the 105 site be better or worse or the same than the present one. FWIW, I would appreciate it if you would quit reading nefarious, misrepresentation, and veiled whatever in my posts. Evidently or possibly, you just don’t like me even while you have NEVER met me.
Sorry for the rant, but i wanted to TRY to set the record straight. Basically my posts reveal poor writing skills not nefariousness.
Google SUX

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue May 25, 2021 10:21 am

NewApp: What is it you want exactly? You take a lot of vague swipes at other people then become the biggest victim on the board when someone challenges you on it. Clearly you have nothing to do as you are starting these threads in what looks to be nothing more than an attempt to get people to fight with you or fight with one another. I've been reading your posts and while one can debate the track removal, non-revenue sports argument all day, all I read from you by your own admission is you don't really donate to the Yosef Club, but complain about the lack of funding for non-revenue sports, while also bragging about never missing a football game and all that comes with the stadium enhancements but also complaining about the current state of the football program and how much it costs.

Seems to me its pretty simple. Why don't you boycott football or just App State athletics in general since you feel the money is being so badly mismanaged. Or instead of the money you pay to attend football games, why not donate that to the Yosef Club?

I'm failing to see what you are trying to get out of this besides good old fashioned bitching and baiting. Hell I took the bait so you can take that victory lap. Many posters are agreeing with you in theory, but I have yet to see you offer one solution to your grievances.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue May 25, 2021 10:24 am

NewApp wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:48 am
appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Since I know very little about soccer, on the surface, that description sounds like good set up. I should not have said anything about it given that I don’t know what is good, what is mediocre, and what is outstanding about a soccer facility. NOTHING blatant or nefarious about the intentions my post.
Think about this every time you get ready to press submit. It will save us all so much time.
Give 'em hell!

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue May 25, 2021 10:46 am

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:24 am
NewApp wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:48 am
appst89 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Think about this every time you get ready to press submit. It will save us all so much time.
To be fair, it is a shared field that youth league and the high school and is 3 miles and ~25 min by cart away from campus. So if the track made the 23k seat stadium look like high school, the soccer stadium, which is properly named the Ted Mackorell Soccer Complex, is an elementary school field.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ted+M ... 81.6442721
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue May 25, 2021 3:10 pm

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue May 25, 2021 5:48 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:21 am
NewApp: What is it you want exactly? You take a lot of vague swipes at other people then become the biggest victim on the board when someone challenges you on it. Clearly you have nothing to do as you are starting these threads in what looks to be nothing more than an attempt to get people to fight with you or fight with one another. I've been reading your posts and while one can debate the track removal, non-revenue sports argument all day, all I read from you by your own admission is you don't really donate to the Yosef Club, but complain about the lack of funding for non-revenue sports, while also bragging about never missing a football game and all that comes with the stadium enhancements but also complaining about the current state of the football program and how much it costs.

Seems to me its pretty simple. Why don't you boycott football or just App State athletics in general since you feel the money is being so badly mismanaged. Or instead of the money you pay to attend football games, why not donate that to the Yosef Club?

I'm failing to see what you are trying to get out of this besides good old fashioned bitching and baiting. Hell I took the bait so you can take that victory lap. Many posters are agreeing with you in theory, but I have yet to see you offer one solution to your grievances.
Any vague swipe is totally in your imagination. And certainly not baiting. Furthermore, many posts on this thread have said exactly what I say. No victim here. Just griping about fair play. Too, I don't brag about following App, just pointing out what can and do do regarding about ASU athletics.
Now get over your suspicious mind.

It would be pretty asinine to donate to Yosef and yet see no games. Would you do that??? Huh? Now go pick on somebody else in your spare time.
As to suggested solution...it's too late. I would have and did suggest we do the 105 project first before we built what I sort of think of as a boondogle and show piece. It's cute, but is it worth $50M? And having to do without a track like any decent high school has.Just asking.

Have you told the other posters who are griping to boycott athletics? Geez, get over yourself, but I love you bro cause you are a fellow App.
Google SUX

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue May 25, 2021 8:46 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:48 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 10:21 am

Any vague swipe is totally in your imagination. And certainly not baiting. Furthermore, many posts on this thread have said exactly what I say. No victim here. Just griping about fair play. Too, I don't brag about following App, just pointing out what can and do do regarding about ASU athletics.
Now get over your suspicious mind.

It would be pretty asinine to donate to Yosef and yet see no games. Would you do that??? Huh? Now go pick on somebody else in your spare time.
As to suggested solution...it's too late. I would have and did suggest we do the 105 project first before we built what I sort of think of as a boondogle and show piece. It's cute, but is it worth $50M? And having to do without a track like any decent high school has.Just asking.

Have you told the other posters who are griping to boycott athletics? Geez, get over yourself, but I love you bro cause you are a fellow App.

My point being, what is the point of all this? The NEZ has been completely built. If you have such an affection for track why not donate directly to them. And I’d love to know know many meets you’ve been to. I don’t usually bang on you but this thread is bothering me because I don’t see the point in it. I don’t see you challenging Title IX which is really contributing to the downfall of some non revenue men’s sports. As appdaze references I feel confident a track will be built and we will have our current stadium and a track. And you won’t have had to make any financial sacrifice.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue May 25, 2021 9:04 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”