Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

AppfaninCAALand
School: Appalachian State

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:26 pm

I could get behind a playoff with AQ for the P5 and AAC (P6?) and a 7th AQ for the best of the other 4. Though my preferred playoff would be a 14 team playoff with 10 AQ with play-in games for the bottom four seeds and double byes for the top 4.

ah59396

Re: 12 team playoff? All P5 conference champs to be in, 1 G5 Champ, six at large

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:47 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:26 pm
I could get behind a playoff with AQ for the P5 and AAC (P6?) and a 7th AQ for the best of the other 4. Though my preferred playoff would be a 14 team playoff with 10 AQ with play-in games for the bottom four seeds and double byes for the top 4.
For what it’s worth, in this scenario:

UAB (6-3)
Ball State (7-1) MAC teams only
San Jose State (7-1)

would all have made the CFP over:

Iowa State (9-3)
Indiana (6-2)
North Carolina (8-4)
Iowa (6-2)
BYU (11-1)

Not to say 8-4 is some stellar record. But it’s a hell of a lot easier to go 7-1 in the MAC than 6-2 in the BIG10. I feel like you got far better chances at a W seeing Kent State and Bowling Green as opposed to Wisconsin and Purdue.
YNWA

TractorApp

Unread post by TractorApp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:40 am

I could buy this.
A. Top G5 is in.
B. Any other G5 champion with an undefeated record and at least one P5 win gets in before any P5 non-champion with two losses or more.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:00 am

I’m all in as 12 is one step closer to 16 which I believe is the best format. Not to mention that all fbs teams can start the season with at least a small chance to compete for a championship.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:10 am

ah59396 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:47 am
AppfaninCAALand wrote:

UAB (6-3)
San Jose State (7-1)

Iowa State (9-3)
Indiana (6-2)
North Carolina (8-4)
Iowa (6-2)
BYU (11-1)

Not to say 8-4 is some stellar record. But it’s a hell of a lot easier to go 7-1 in the MAC than 6-2 in the BIG10. I feel like you got far better chances at a W seeing Kent State and Bowling Green as opposed to Wisconsin and Purdue.
As everyone's favorite cousin Eddie said, "Bingo".

This scenario would KILL and DESTROY any chance to gain real legitimacy for G5 football.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:19 am

AppWyo wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:17 pm
I do not understand why anyone would want to be in the AAC, when you would have the same situation that we are in with the Sunbelt, with a bunch of teams we do not know. When what we really need is to be in a regional conference that students can road trip to while in college. Why chase the rainbow when you can wait for the rainbow come to you or even better create your own rainbow with a regional conference made up of Appalachian, East Carolina, A&T, Liberty, Marshal, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, and Georgia Southern. Sign a streaming service contract with Netflix and the conference will be flush with cash.
The only way I see the scenario of us joining the AAC as the "same situation" as the SunBelt is travel to several schools we don't really know.

I think the competition would be much better. We would have a much better TV deal. We would play bigger names, in bigger, and fuller stadiums with a much larger carrot dangling in front of us (more concrete path to the NY6). We would have conference away games that our fans would like to travel to and we would still have a local rival with ECU.

Beating Ga Southern and our new found rival in ULL are the only things I would miss, but to be honest, the thought of not having to prepare for the Stink's stupid triple option offense doesn't sound that bad.

This argument of joining the AAC is also moot because they've given no indication that they're even interested in us but... a guy can dream.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am

It’s funny…I read message boards (I like to see if our fans sound as crazy as others). Some of us think we’re shoe-ins for the AAC because we have good football. Georgia State and UAB think they’re shoe-ins because “marketz”. JMU thinks they’re shoe-ins because of their facilities.

AAC fans don’t want any of us. A stray fan may say “App State for football only” but that gets shot down quickly. They want Army, Air Force, Boise State, or BYU (who they obviously won’t get). AAC fans only want a program that will instantly vault them into P6 status and the only program that could already turned them down.

Now obviously fans don’t make big decisions (and that’s a good thing because we’re all unhinged) but most AAC fans right now are saying “stay put at 11 until we have no other choice than to extend an invitation”.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:39 am

It’s really a shame how the perspective for college football has changed - for the worst. When your school hits the “big boy” level it is no longer fun to simply have games. It is no longer as big a deal to be a conference champion and hang a banner. It’s no longer good enough to play in (and hopefully win) a cool bowl game. Now it’s playoff or bust. I’ve seen stuff posted showing teams with the most wins over the past several years and App is right there with the Alabama’s, Ohio State’s and Clemson’s of the world. We have never lost a bowl game. We are now a legit top 30 team. While it would be great to ultimately get into some form of a playoff it’s probably never gonna happen. Like I said it’s kind of a shame that those other goals aren’t looked upon like they used to. During those glory years in the FCS we were really proud of the many Southern Conference titles we rattled off.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:53 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:39 am
It’s really a shame how the perspective for college football has changed - for the worst. When your school hits the “big boy” level it is no longer fun to simply have games. It is no longer as big a deal to be a conference champion and hang a banner. It’s no longer good enough to play in (and hopefully win) a cool bowl game. Now it’s playoff or bust. I’ve seen stuff posted showing teams with the most wins over the past several years and App is right there with the Alabama’s, Ohio State’s and Clemson’s of the world. We have never lost a bowl game. We are now a legit top 30 team. While it would be great to ultimately get into some form of a playoff it’s probably never gonna happen. Like I said it’s kind of a shame that those other goals aren’t looked upon like they used to. During those glory years in the FCS we were really proud of the many Southern Conference titles we rattled off.
You are 100% correct. I for one am so proud of every accomplishment our program has achieved. It is hard to stay in the moment and appreciate what really is a meteoric rise through the FBS rankings. We are blessed, we are spoiled, we have a program that is the envy of so many and we are not done climbing yet. Go! Fight!.....
FREQS AND GEEKS!

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:58 am

NavyApp wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:53 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:39 am
You are 100% correct. I for one am so proud of every accomplishment our program has achieved. It is hard to stay in the moment and appreciate what really is a meteoric rise through the FBS rankings. We are blessed, we are spoiled, we have a program that is the envy of so many and we are not done climbing yet. Go! Fight!.....
Kick ASS !
😉

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:25 pm

Funniest part of the P5/G5 thing is it's totally made up. In the Sec, Acc etc, there are like 1 o 2 elite teams, 3-4 total decently good teams. Point is, most of the teams lower than those teams are worse than the upper G5 teams. On top of that, anyone can beat anyone, outside of Alabama, who beats everyone

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:27 pm

ESPN reports that committee recommended 12 teams 6 of the highest rated conference champions and 6 selected from the committee. No limit from any one conference and no automatic qualifiers. Probably as good as you could have hoped for….. but still has to be approved.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:01 pm

AppFan11 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:27 pm
ESPN reports that committee recommended 12 teams 6 of the highest rated conference champions and 6 selected from the committee. No limit from any one conference and no automatic qualifiers. Probably as good as you could have hoped for….. but still has to be approved.
The whole "6 of the highest rated conference champions" kinda gripes my ***. They are essentially giving the credibility to the AAC's P6 argument. Thats veiled pretty thinly, in that, even my small mind can see through it.

Basically what they're saying is all the P5 champs plus the AAC Champ, and then the next highest ranked 6 teams, all of whom will be P5 because lets face it, that's who's determining the entire ranking system. They can say they have given the G5 a shot because they consider the AAC to be the G5. The AAC can say P6 because the committee is not saying the "G5 autobid" and ESPN is happy because the conferences/teams they favor are all on board.

AppState, Boise, ULL and maybe SD State will all still be left out in the cold.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:24 pm

I am not nearly as pessimistic as some on this board. I see a path and that is a hell of a lot more than I saw just a few days ago and certainly more than anyone expected when we made the jump to FBS. I believe that App State can be one of the 6 highest ranked conference champs, and if we are then we are in the playoff. If that doesn't excite you, then I don't know what will.

NeersBy90

Unread post by NeersBy90 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:42 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:24 pm
I am not nearly as pessimistic as some on this board. I see a path and that is a hell of a lot more than I saw just a few days ago and certainly more than anyone expected when we made the jump to FBS. I believe that App State can be one of the 6 highest ranked conference champs, and if we are then we are in the playoff. If that doesn't excite you, then I don't know what will.
You're right, you're not nearly as pessimistic as I am. Having a path absolutely excites me but if you think ESPN and a committee of P5 pundits are going to CHOOSE to rank an undefeated SunBelt Champ higher than a 1 loss AAC Champ I think you're calling a half full glass, full.

My bet is its going to take the roof caving in on the AAC and them having a 2 loss Champ to get any other undefeated conference champ (with at least one P5 win) in that 6th slot. Only time will tell but the powers at be in college football have rarely ever cared about the little guy and I don't know why they would start now.

Spoiler alert, in this scenario, the AAC is not longer the little guy.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:35 pm

Just read headline from CBS SPORTS…. CFP prefers access instead of excellence…… nice take CBS…. it’s about more $$$$$ and spreading it a little. Who doesn’t think that we’ll end up with Alabama, Clemson and Ohio St in final three…… excellence is still there. CBS loves the SEC.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:47 am
AppfaninCAALand wrote:

UAB (6-3)
San Jose State (7-1)

Iowa State (9-3)
Indiana (6-2)
North Carolina (8-4)
Iowa (6-2)
BYU (11-1)

I'm with you on this. The MAC and most of G5 is just not good enough to argue taking their champ as an auto-bid over a 9-3 runner-up in the Big 12 or even ACC. I feel like 8 would be the ideal number because you can have P5 league champions as the auto-bid and give an auto-bid to highest ranked G5 with 2 P5 at-larges. 12 is the most I can get behind and I will be honest that I want to see G5 teams but only if they are undefeated or just 1 loss with a good resume.

I am not sure I want a G5 auto-bid no matter what because what if the highest ranked one year turns out to be 23rd with 3 losses? Nobody will want to see them in the playoff over a 10-2 P5 who lost in a conference title game. I would like to see ranked in top 15, conference champ, and no more than 1 loss in regular season as criteria.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:32 pm

We were proud of our Southern Conference title, because that meant we were guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. Win your conference, get in the playoffs, that is the way it should be, and is in all of the other sports. Why should football be any different? Division III takes 32 teams, why not FBS?

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:39 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:32 pm
We were proud of our Southern Conference title, because that meant we were guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. Win your conference, get in the playoffs, that is the way it should be, and is in all of the other sports. Why should football be any different? Division III takes 32 teams, why not FBS?
So, in this scenario, a 9-3 App St team that wins conference but loses 2 nonconference games to P5 by 25 and 30 each should make it over an LSU team that goes 9-3 and LSU faced SEC competition each week..IMO, I cannot buy that scenario. Would need to ask yourself, would the 9-3 team have been 9-3 facing the SEC West schedule each week...
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:55 pm

If they aren’t taking all 10 conference champs, then why change anything?
Bring Your A Game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”