Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Marshall Game

MrCraig
School: Appalachian State

Re: Marshall Game

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:10 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:11 am
MrCraig wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:04 am
appstatealum wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:55 pm
We are a much different team than last year. I fully believe our coaches and players were in some sort of "significant game" hangover after Miami and CLT/ECU Saturday and we will come out and rock Marshall early. I may be on an island, but I don't think the game will be close. Just a gut feeling.
I agree with you, but it’s not just a gut feeling. We’ve got the better defense, and the better defense usually wins. You see above everyone talking about how many yards Marshall had, but what about how many yards and points they gave up to ECU? Marshall didn’t stop ECU from doing anything, they just out scored them. We win, and I’d be surprised if it was by less than 2 touchdowns.
Actually they DIDN'T outscore ECU, which I believe enhances your point.
Haha you’re right, and I knew that. I know we lost last year, but I’m just really not nervous about playing a home game against a team that lost to ECU.

BradMlee

Unread post by BradMlee » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:39 pm

I get it, everyone REALLY wants this to be a blowout, I DO TOO.
But I have my concerns/hesitation, this Marshall offense is still VERY Good, the Marshall OLine is still VERY good, they play calling from Marshall is VERY good. It could cause our pass rush some fits early on in the game.

Don't get it twisted..... They should have beat ECU, unfortunately for the Thundering Herd a late turnover, some lucky breaks and an onside kick later, they let ECU win a game they had absolutely no business winning.

Why I'm worried....
App State's defense is very good I agree, but now facing an offense that gets over 600 yards and 44 points per game, and they won't stop taking chances and taking deep shots with Grant Wells. Sell out to slow down Ali (7 Rush TDs) and Wells will beat you over the top, Sell out to blitz Wells and Marshall dial up runs/screens away from the blitz.

Why I'm confident...
App State does have the benefit of a strong run game against a Rush Defense that is less than stellar (195 Rush YPG defensively for Marshall),
The biggest benefit, Marshall has a VERY short week to learn this App State scheme and packages. Dial up some spicy blitz's late, Marshall makes a mistake late.... App D only has TWO INT's this season, time to change that!!

I think Vegas has the numbers right.... App State 32 - Marshall 27....

(But hoping for a runaway early, and we don't have to stress)
App State '14

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:59 am

Our tendency in recent big games has been to give up and early score and then settle in. I hope we break from this and punch them in the mouth as soon as they get off the bus. They’ve been a very tough opponent on the road lately, and I don’t want them thinking they are the favorite, and then playing like it.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:31 am

D must bottle up Ali (RB) and force Wells into uncomfortable situations. Marshall has been careless with ball putting it on the turf 7 times in 3 games while Wells is thrown 5 INTs so far. Force the Herd offense to be one dimensional and the D can pin their ears back to pressure Wells into some bad decisions. Without giving up the big play by staying fundamental, the D needs to find opportunities to create turnovers.

Gammage (WR) looks to be a nightmare mismatch with his size averaging over 100+ yd/gm and 7 catches. I find it strange he has yet to find pay dirt. Keaton (WR) is putting up almost 70 yd/gm and has 2 TD's so far. Their 2 TE's have 12 total catches but no TD's. With both being 6'3", I have a feeling the Herd may try to catch App's D sleeping in the red zone with those guys.

Hopefully the O can establish the run game to give Brice opportunities to hit them with the big play and execute at a higher rate of efficiency on 3rd downs.

Excited for the Moonshine Melee tomorrow night!
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:25 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:10 pm

Muck Farshall!!!

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:33 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:10 pm
Muck Farshall!!!
Exactly!

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:03 pm

There’s this. Reminding me of how good we have it.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:52 am

biggie wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:03 pm
There’s this. Reminding me of how good we have it.

Well that's one way to do it. We certainly are spoiled.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:24 am

If you're thinking this will be a blowout, time to recalibrate expectations.

Marshall will arrive in a surly mood, having lost a game they absolutely should have won. They also want to demonstrate that last years victory over App wasn't a fluke. And they have legit talent on both sides of the ball. So Marshall has much to prove tonight.

What makes me feel better is the health of App State WR's and having multiple effective RB options. This one will be a dogfight, for sure. Hoping to see KBS packed full of fans to give the Herd fits with the crowd noise.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:37 am

Marshall plays very aggressive on defense, they bring 5+ the majority of the downs and play man with a single high safety. They want to force the ball out early. Will App call our normal game plan or exploit this early with screens, etc. to make them back off.

On defense they will dink and dunk throws early in a quick tempo, I'll be somewhat surprised if we don't give up our traditionally early TD to start the game. And their RB will be the best we've seen to date.

On special teams we must kick the ball out of the endzone, they lead the nation in return yardage. They do however struggle with FG kicking, but I hope it doesn't come down to that.

Tale of the tape: if we rush for more yardage and win the turnover battle we win.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:04 am

As long as we don’t lose fumbles on the way to the end zone, we should win.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:13 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:37 am
Marshall plays very aggressive on defense, they bring 5+ the majority of the downs and play man with a single high safety. They want to force the ball out early. Will App call our normal game plan or exploit this early with screens, etc. to make them back off.

On defense they will dink and dunk throws early in a quick tempo, I'll be somewhat surprised if we don't give up our traditionally early TD to start the game. And their RB will be the best we've seen to date.

On special teams we must kick the ball out of the endzone, they lead the nation in return yardage. They do however struggle with FG kicking, but I hope it doesn't come down to that.

Tale of the tape: if we rush for more yardage and win the turnover battle we win.
Hoping we break the BS fluke tipped interception streak we have going, no fumbles into the end zone, or no from behind strips aa last year in Huntington.
BLACK SATURDAY

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:37 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:04 am
As long as we don’t lose fumbles on the way to the end zone, we should win.
Pain

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:47 am

Don’t really know what it is, but I have a feeling it’s all going to come together for our team tonight. I don’t think this one will be close.

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 am

With all the stats etc... We are still the best team they have faced - we are very good on both sides of the ball and play with energy. Not sure pure stats is a tell tell for this game - or any game. If we do play our game and use our talent - we will be just fine.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:36 am

After what happened last year; this is the game I EXPECT Coach Clark to be giving the SANDPAPER THAT ASS speech before the game!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:37 am

I said it in the thread about the spread and I'll say it here. I think App covers in this game. I don't predict scored, mainly because I'm terrible at it. LOL I have read all the analysis and I have respect for Marshall. I get that they will come in "angry" about last week and with something to prove. I don't believe it will matter. This game is one of the reasons a bunch of those super seniors on our roster decided to return. Unfinished business! App has been angry for a year. It has had time to fester and grow....get really ugly. Our WRs are healthy this year. We have a healthy stable of RBs this year. We have a cohesive offensive unit (OC/QB/game planning/play calling) this year. They benefited from catching Zach on one of his worst days and I don't think Chase has one tonight (hopefully). Even with all the negatives last year, they didn't pull away. They have had great stats against pretty weak opponents. I do think they will play us tough, but App is the motivated team and has more weapons.

Go APPS!

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:54 pm

This will be a close game. I believe it will be higher scoring than last year and the end result just like last year will go to the team that makes fewer mistakes.

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:45 pm

Oh blessed Lord,I'm old enough to remember those old games.Black and Blue.Old style football! :o

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”