Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coaching is the issue

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coaching is the issue

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:15 pm

Calling for firings this early is just not reasonable but if this becomes a trend and we lose 2 more and then 3-5 next year then I am sure we will make changes. We will see how we respond. They have a chance to show it was just a bad night.

NY6 is gone and it will take a lot to even be ranked again so hopefully that debate will stop. I never understand why some people are obsessed with the polls anyway. They are objective and voters just look at how bad you win or who you beat.

Our guys need to shrug this off and focus because another bad loss would certainly destroy every goal we have. Let's see how this season plays out before we start to draw conclusions. Hopefully we can go 1-0 next week! Go App!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:49 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:41 am
I said this when it was announced and agian last season: I did not like or understand the Clark hiring. It looked to me like the AD was so busy looking for another job that he just gave Clark the job. That said, this is probably App State football. I expect a lot of 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 seasons. Averaging nine or so wins a yeas isn't bad and is probably the best we can do. I'm not sure we can take this program to the next level. When Heupel left UCF, they paid Malzahn over 2 million. Fickell makes over 3 million at Cincinnati. Kalani Sitake makes over a million at BYU. In the Sunbelt, Napier makes 2 million (Chadwell makes 850,000) Clark makes less than 500,000. My point is, we don't seem to have the money to be a consistent top G5 program.
Clark as a new first time head coach should be making around $650 to $700 but that's not the case his salary with the university is one number his Yosef salary is an additional number; he makes about $900,000 to $950,000 a year. His contract is basically the same as Drinkwitz's was. His contract is online for anyone and everyone to read along with all of the athletic coaches and our AD's contract.
Last edited by HighlandsApp on Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:53 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:52 am
App_in_Maiden wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:27 am
Lol I love these threads after a loss. Look, I have caught plenty from saying how Chase hasn’t wow’ed me yet, but to say there needs to be a QB change is ridiculous. It wasn’t all his fault. He missed some throws, especially the one that should have been a touchdown coming out of the half, but receivers were dropping them too. We also didn’t have a run game to open up the passing. Last night was poor coaching, poor planning, and poor execution. You mix that with a Louisiana team that wants to prove last years win wasn’t a fluke and you get the whooping we received last night.
And, you have to give credit to the coaching job the Napier did. His team executed their game plan. Getting up big early and stopping the run, forced us to be one dimensional. Their third down defense was great, as was their third down offense. Our defense made some plays, but we didn't take anything away from their offense. They hit the bombs early, which set up their running game. They won the turnover battle. And, Napier does a good job of limiting possessions. They hit the stretch run off left tackle all night long for big gains. Finally, in the fourth quarter, they imposed their will with their large O Line and our D-Line and Linebackers were on skates.

Speaking of turnovers:
2020 Marshall -2
2020 Coastal Carolina -2
2020 Louisiana -3
2021 Miami -1
2021 Marshall -2
2021 Lousiana -3

In those games, we have forced a total of three turnovers. So, we have not a benefit of short fields, quick scores, etc. We have also only had 100 yard rushers in two of the six (Peoples against Coastal, where he had a big first half, then was gassed and we didn't continue the running game and Noel against Marshall this year).
Billy Napier and his entire coaching staff is one of the best in the country and it really showed last night.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:57 pm

The biggest coaching test of Shawn Clark’s career is happening right now. Is the team angry? Hopefully. And hopefully they use that anger to focus on CCU. Clark can’t let ULL get us blown out twice because we are down on ourselves.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:05 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:59 am
WataugaMan wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:43 am
yosef69 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:40 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:23 am
Lets keep things in perspective and focus on what each of us can control. It is ok to be upset. I know our App State coaches and players bleed black and gold. I trust our culture that everyone, I mean everyone will take responsibility for the poor on field performance last night.

What can you do as an App State fan?
Support App State Football!

See you at the Rock Wednesday night to support and cheer on this team to be the best it can be. Go Apps!

A few words from the former GaSo Head Coach after a disappointing performance.
This guy got fired. :roll:
:lol:
And that’s the rub, isn’t it? Maybe SC grows and becomes a better coach from this, but maybe this is just what he is. However, if he gets fired, how do you know his replacement will be an upgrade? 1 bad coaching hire can send a program into the wilderness. I don’t have an answer. I just know I’m still mad about us punting down 2 scores on the ULL side of the field.
I'll try to pick a better video next time. I only shared it because we can only control what we can control. What can fans control... we can be upset with the performance last night, we will continue to support App State Football, give financial support to the Yosef club and I hope we will all choose to be at the Rock Wednesday to help us all get rid of this awful taste in our mouth.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:56 pm

Here's the real problem - most of you guys are full of shit - most haven't played much less coached - games like this happen to the best of teams/programs - As I tried to explain to my old buddy Black Saturday years ago - some days our opponent is the best team on the field that day - that can happen for a lot of reasons, too many to get into - BUT, to talk about getting rid of the coaches or players don't care is just plain stupidity. Win against Coastal - take care of business the rest of the season and we play for another SBC championship -

Who ever mentioned that this next game is huge for Coach Elliott and the team is 100% correct - everything we hoped for are all still available (I'm talking reasonable people) - we weren't going to the Final 4 or NY6 anyhow, anyway even before we played one game -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:37 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:56 pm
Here's the real problem - most of you guys are full of shit - most haven't played much less coached - games like this happen to the best of teams/programs - As I tried to explain to my old buddy Black Saturday years ago - some days our opponent is the best team on the field that day - that can happen for a lot of reasons, too many to get into - BUT, to talk about getting rid of the coaches or players don't care is just plain stupidity. Win against Coastal - take care of business the rest of the season and we play for another SBC championship -

Who ever mentioned that this next game is huge for Coach Elliott and the team is 100% correct - everything we hoped for are all still available (I'm talking reasonable people) - we weren't going to the Final 4 or NY6 anyhow, anyway even before we played one game -
How is the next game huge for Coach Elliott?

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:38 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
I said this when it was announced and agian last season: I did not like or understand the Clark hiring. It looked to me like the AD was so busy looking for another job that he just gave Clark the job. That said, this is probably App State football. I expect a lot of 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 seasons. Averaging nine or so wins a yeas isn't bad and is probably the best we can do. I'm not sure we can take this program to the next level. When Heupel left UCF, they paid Malzahn over 2 million. Fickell makes over 3 million at Cincinnati. Kalani Sitake makes over a million at BYU. In the Sunbelt, Napier makes 2 million (Chadwell makes 850,000) Clark makes less than 500,000. My point is, we don't seem to have the money to be a consistent top G5 program.
Look, I’m not on the “fire Clark!!” train, even after last nights result, but I said it at the time - it was a lazy hire. Doesn’t necessarily mean a bad hire, but definitely lazy. It sounds harsh, but the only reason Shawn Clark has the job is because it says graduate of App State on his resume. Hope he has them ready to roll a week from now.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:45 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:53 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
App_in_Maiden wrote:
Lol I love these threads after a loss. Look, I have caught plenty from saying how Chase hasn’t wow’ed me yet, but to say there needs to be a QB change is ridiculous. It wasn’t all his fault. He missed some throws, especially the one that should have been a touchdown coming out of the half, but receivers were dropping them too. We also didn’t have a run game to open up the passing. Last night was poor coaching, poor planning, and poor execution. You mix that with a Louisiana team that wants to prove last years win wasn’t a fluke and you get the whooping we received last night.
And, you have to give credit to the coaching job the Napier did. His team executed their game plan. Getting up big early and stopping the run, forced us to be one dimensional. Their third down defense was great, as was their third down offense. Our defense made some plays, but we didn't take anything away from their offense. They hit the bombs early, which set up their running game. They won the turnover battle. And, Napier does a good job of limiting possessions. They hit the stretch run off left tackle all night long for big gains. Finally, in the fourth quarter, they imposed their will with their large O Line and our D-Line and Linebackers were on skates.

Speaking of turnovers:
2020 Marshall -2
2020 Coastal Carolina -2
2020 Louisiana -3
2021 Miami -1
2021 Marshall -2
2021 Lousiana -3

In those games, we have forced a total of three turnovers. So, we have not a benefit of short fields, quick scores, etc. We have also only had 100 yard rushers in two of the six (Peoples against Coastal, where he had a big first half, then was gassed and we didn't continue the running game and Noel against Marshall this year).
Billy Napier and his entire coaching staff is one of the best in the country and it really showed last night.
The biggest staff in the SBC by a pretty significant margin IIRC. I couldn’t help but wonder last night how much of an impact it has, along with Napier being a pretty damn good coach and program builder. Get your friends and friends of friends to join Yosef fellas.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:46 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:37 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:56 pm

How is the next game huge for Coach Elliott?
And, the "orange sweater fellow" too.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:53 pm

Jesus - I made a terrible mistake - I had the name "Shawn" on my mind - sorry Coach Clark
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:01 pm

Napier runs the Saban system and it's 365\24\7 .If you aren't familiar with it you might research it.It's the reason they ground us into the turf last night and as long as he's there they will have no real drop off , year to year.As to our staff , next week will answer most , perhaps not all of our questions.IF we lose our championship goal crumbles.If we win ,we have the tiebreaker and just need to win out against teams we should beat to get the rematch with LaLa.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:11 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:53 pm
Jesus - I made a terrible mistake - I had the name "Shawn" on my mind - sorry Coach Clark
You and Gillian both. Lol

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:36 am
ULL beat south Alabama by 2 points. Beat Ga So by 8. They completely annihilated us by 28. I have no metrics to go by that proves SC is the right guy to lead this team. He has proven to me that against tough competition, he struggles to get the most out of the guys.
He’s done pretty good this year, except for this last game. Building both O and D lines takes time. He should be the clock for that. I understand he did get a really good one from Shelby. A few more more like him can make a difference in who gets manhandled. Skill positions haven’t ever been an issue at APP.
BLACK SATURDAY

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:26 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:38 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Look, I’m not on the “fire Clark!!” train, even after last nights result, but I said it at the time - it was a lazy hire. Doesn’t necessarily mean a bad hire, but definitely lazy. It sounds harsh, but the only reason Shawn Clark has the job is because it says graduate of App State on his resume. Hope he has them ready to roll a week from now.
that's a cheap shot. Clark earned the hire and it was a good one. And i'm proud to have App State on my resume.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:35 am

mike87 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:26 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:38 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
that's a cheap shot. Clark earned the hire and it was a good one. And i'm proud to have App State on my resume.
You are missing the point I believe. All of the players were clamoring for Clark at the time, so DG had no choice but to hire him essentially. We didn't even look for the best football minded coach. PLeasing those guys may end up costing us everything Moore and Satterfield built.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:53 am

So many delusional fans and couch coaches! The negativity from a loss is absurd. Sometimes things happen. Especially the social media posts, so many stupid posts. Keyboard warriors got to love them!

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 am

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:01 pm
Napier runs the Saban system and it's 365\24\7 .If you aren't familiar with it you might research it.It's the reason they ground us into the turf last night and as long as he's there they will have no real drop off , year to year.As to our staff , next week will answer most , perhaps not all of our questions.IF we lose our championship goal crumbles.If we win ,we have the tiebreaker and just need to win out against teams we should beat to get the rematch with LaLa.

Now that you mentioned it... back in the national championship game, just before the game Ohio State was jumping up & down getting pumped up for the game while Saban side appeared to be “all business”. Likewise, Tuesday night, the App coach & players were jumping up & down getting pumped while the Napier side appeared to be more “all business”.

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:27 am

“They loved him yesterday....but yesterday’s gone”.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:38 am

WASU 93 wrote:
App_in_Maiden wrote:

Speaking of turnovers:
2020 Marshall -2
2020 Coastal Carolina -2
2020 Louisiana -3
2021 Miami -1
2021 Marshall -2
2021 Lousiana -3

I agree, 100% on turnover/ratio margin being huge, forcing turnovers can change the complexion of a game, sometimes the ball doesn't bounce right. Had it done so at Miami then maybe we take that one? Not sure how to cure turnover ratio, I'm sure its part of the practice drills. It is among or arguably the most important statistic/battle of a game. The '21 Marshall game was close because of it. 4 Turnovers at Louisiana Tuesday night crushed any hopes of a come back or winning that game after getting down so far in the first quarter along with some personnel usage in situational play calls at "nut cutting time".
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”