Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coaching is the issue

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: Coaching is the issue

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:34 am

One thing for sure and that is Coach Saban was certainly pissed and questioning about his defense after losing to a 2-3 team and giving up 40+ points - it happens to all coaching staffs --- you guys take a deep breath because we will beat Coastal !!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:39 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:32 am
the "lazy hire" is a ridiculous cheap shot and you can spin it anyway you choose but it doesn't change the stupidity of the statement -
Do you know who the other finalists for the job were?

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:08 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:25 am
mike87 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:26 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:38 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:41 am
I said this when it was announced and agian last season: I did not like or understand the Clark hiring. It looked to me like the AD was so busy looking for another job that he just gave Clark the job. That said, this is probably App State football. I expect a lot of 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 seasons. Averaging nine or so wins a yeas isn't bad and is probably the best we can do. I'm not sure we can take this program to the next level. When Heupel left UCF, they paid Malzahn over 2 million. Fickell makes over 3 million at Cincinnati. Kalani Sitake makes over a million at BYU. In the Sunbelt, Napier makes 2 million (Chadwell makes 850,000) Clark makes less than 500,000. My point is, we don't seem to have the money to be a consistent top G5 program.
Look, I’m not on the “fire Clark!!” train, even after last nights result, but I said it at the time - it was a lazy hire. Doesn’t necessarily mean a bad hire, but definitely lazy. It sounds harsh, but the only reason Shawn Clark has the job is because it says graduate of App State on his resume. Hope he has them ready to roll a week from now.
that's a cheap shot. Clark earned the hire and it was a good one. And i'm proud to have App State on my resume.
How's is it a cheap shot? What did Clark do to esrn the hire? Please tell me how an offense line coach and co offensive coordinator earned the head spot.
Why are you even Messing with App football then? You’ve already proclaimed coastal to be head and shoulders better than us. And now you are against Clark. You strike me as the type of “fan” that needs to root for a sure fire
Winner. Why don’t you just throw on a Georgia shirt and ride them until the lose, then pick up the baton of the next undefeated school.
you’ made your positions known. If and when app wins next week, don’t come on the board basking in the victory, as I suspect you love to hedge your bets so that you can enjoy the wins but have the simultaneous distancing from the team should they lose.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:15 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:08 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
I said this when it was announced and agian last season: I did not like or understand the Clark hiring. It looked to me like the AD was so busy looking for another job that he just gave Clark the job. That said, this is probably App State football. I expect a lot of 8-4, 9-3, 10-2 seasons. Averaging nine or so wins a yeas isn't bad and is probably the best we can do. I'm not sure we can take this program to the next level. When Heupel left UCF, they paid Malzahn over 2 million. Fickell makes over 3 million at Cincinnati. Kalani Sitake makes over a million at BYU. In the Sunbelt, Napier makes 2 million (Chadwell makes 850,000) Clark makes less than 500,000. My point is, we don't seem to have the money to be a consistent top G5 program.
Look, I’m not on the “fire Clark!!” train, even after last nights result, but I said it at the time - it was a lazy hire. Doesn’t necessarily mean a bad hire, but definitely lazy. It sounds harsh, but the only reason Shawn Clark has the job is because it says graduate of App State on his resume. Hope he has them ready to roll a week from now.
that's a cheap shot. Clark earned the hire and it was a good one. And i'm proud to have App State on my resume.
How's is it a cheap shot? What did Clark do to esrn the hire? Please tell me how an offense line coach and co offensive coordinator earned the head spot.
Why are you even Messing with App football then? You’ve already proclaimed coastal to be head and shoulders better than us. And now you are against Clark. You strike me as the type of “fan” that needs to root for a sure fire
Winner. Why don’t you just throw on a Georgia shirt and ride them until the lose, then pick up the baton of the next undefeated school.
you’ made your positions known. If and when app wins next week, don’t come on the board basking in the victory, as I suspect you love to hedge your bets so that you can enjoy the wins but have the simultaneous distancing from the team should they lose.
I think Coastal is better than we are. Me and every poll voter. I think we have under performed our talent. I think Gillian wanted out and made a quick hire. I don't have a problem with anyone who disagrees, but that's what I think.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:22 am

Why does it matter who DG interviewed or did not interview to hire SC? When vacancies occur, agents are reaching out to schools. We had just hired the shiny new up and coming OC (not affiliated with App previously). He left after one year for the much higher compensation. DG was able to "interview" and see SC's body of work for an extended period of time since employed by the program. Sure, DG could have went after shiny new hire No. 2 and then they would be gone after of couple of years to a P5 programs. I am sure one of the criteria that DG had was to try to keep in the program if he thought a good hire. In this case, it was SC. I trust DG. In my opinion, he has done much for the program. I am not going to question his process.
Everyone has a right to their opinion.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppState05

Unread post by AppState05 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:26 pm

I am a die hard APP fan. I attended games before I went to school there. I was upset about the loss as well, but I let it end with Tuesday night after the game. As other people on here have said, it was one game. Should we have won it yes but it is what it is. What really gets to me are the people on here who are saying that CSC should be fired for loosing a game. I'm sorry but that's just plain ridiculous IMO.

Take a minute and think about it. Did Coach Moore not loose games in FCS, Satterfield, Drinkwitz? My point is there is going to always be a game that should have been won but was lost, but are we going to be a fan base that calls out for the coach to be fired every chance they get. If that is going to happen, then we might as well be like GS and get just anybody to be coach and see what happens. All of this to say, I'm still proud of our guys and I will be watching Wednesday night and cheering APP to victory!! Maybe if we all support the guys like I know we can then maybe we wouldn't have so many fair weather fans!!

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:03 pm

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:35 am
mike87 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
You are missing the point I believe. All of the players were clamoring for Clark at the time, so DG had no choice but to hire him essentially. We didn't even look for the best football minded coach. PLeasing those guys may end up costing us everything Moore and Satterfield built.
No I absolutely get the point. Clark was/is a exceptional hire for our program. 3 Coaches in 3 years, stabilizing the program was of utmost importance and mission accomplished with a very knowledgeable coach. Where do you think football games are won an lost. You falling for the shiny toy in the backfield? It's the trenches, which is where Clark lived.

Missing the point My a$$. Good hire. End of story.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:10 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
I was responding to 10 because I think he knows better. You are showing you do not. There's nothing better for a football team's success than an offensive line coach. And one that brings stability to the program at the point in time the decision was made is a great hire. This was validated throughout 2019. How'd you like to have had a newbie to the program that could only meet with players and coaches via zoom? Clark was and is a great hire.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:09 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:10 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
I was responding to 10 because I think he knows better. You are showing you do not. There's nothing better for a football team's success than an offensive line coach. And one that brings stability to the program at the point in time the decision was made is a great hire. This was validated throughout 2019. How'd you like to have had a newbie to the program that could only meet with players and coaches via zoom? Clark was and is a great hire.
1. I don't think Clark is a bad coach. I think under him, thus far, the team has failed to live up to its talent .

2. The process of hiring him seemed rushed, closed and lazy.

3. If you're assessment is correct and Gillian made a quicky inside hire because he knew COVID would impact the next season, I'll admit to undestimating the quality of the hire

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:39 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:09 pm
mike87 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:10 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

1. I don't think Clark is a bad coach. I think under him, thus far, the team has failed to live up to its talent .

2. The process of hiring him seemed rushed, closed and lazy.

3. If you're assessment is correct and Gillian made a quicky inside hire because he knew COVID would impact the next season, I'll admit to undestimating the quality of the hire
Remember that we now have an early signing date that comes up around December 20th (give or take) every year. We had an outstanding class of recruits that needed to be brought in. Signing Clarks stabilized the program, and signing that class was one of the first big successes of his head coaching tenure at App. No, he wasn't the man who actively recruited them all but hiring Coach Clark provided to stability to sign that class without a hitch! Since then, as the HC we signed an outstanding 2021 class featuring 5 of the best OL recruits I remember...EVER. I don't think that's a coincidence and that is going to pay dividends for the next 3 or 4 years.

Making a solid hire in a timely manner for sound business purposes is not lazy. It's smart and decisive. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion as well but this is mine.

Regarding #3, Clark was hired on 12/13/19. Nobody was anticipating the impacts of COVID at that time.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Who the F is this Gillian person people are referring to?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:48 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:44 pm
He's the AD at that school where Bryce is the QB.

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:26 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:48 pm
proasu89 wrote:
Nope. Doug Gillin has that job. 8-)

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:13 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:48 pm
proasu89 wrote:
I see what you did there.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:37 pm

Get off the coach’s arse and get behind him. It may take him a year or two, he deserves a year or two to acclimate to the job. We gave Jerry Moore and Satt some time. It worked. Gillian could have probably hired another Drinkwitz but next year or the year after he’d be going through the process again. GO APPS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:34 pm

Gillians Island?

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:01 am

The Fire the Coach is a moronic, Keyboard Warrior Hot take. Sure things did not go well, but this is not yet a pattern. Sure, HFCSC is learning, 16 or so games into his tenure, but nothing warrants such a move. Certainly i would like to have noted something that was tried to get us out of the funk, but i am sure he is looking at that as well. This guy embodies our program. Some of you have a very short memory when it comes to Satt and "give a mountaineer a chance"!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:10 am

Allow me this analogy. I’ve been in the investment biz for 35 years. I’m an investor not a trader. I’m invested in Coach Clark. I’m not trading him because of 1 bad day. If I approached my biz Like that Id be broke.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:23 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
You mean other than serving as the associate (or was it assistant) head coach for Drinkwitz and being "second in command" so to speak. And his years of knowledge of Appalachian football, the culture, the schemes we run, etc?

Besides those things, I guess all he did was be an associate/assistant head coach at Kent St, put multiple players at his position group in the NFL, won is only bowl game (at the time of hiring) as the head coach, and was highly recommended by the previous two head coaches.

You're right, he really didn't do anything besides sit around for his previous 4 years in Boone!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:39 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:23 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
mike87 wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
You mean other than serving as the associate (or was it assistant) head coach for Drinkwitz and being "second in command" so to speak. And his years of knowledge of Appalachian football, the culture, the schemes we run, etc?

Besides those things, I guess all he did was be an associate/assistant head coach at Kent St, put multiple players at his position group in the NFL, won is only bowl game (at the time of hiring) as the head coach, and was highly recommended by the previous two head coaches.

You're right, he really didn't do anything besides sit around for his previous 4 years in Boone!
This x1000. He interviewed for this job everyday that he showed up to work. He earned it. He deserves it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”