Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coaching is the issue

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coaching is the issue

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:27 pm

I don’t have a problem with the so called, quick hiring process. We just went through a very lengthy and extensive process 12 months earlier. What were we likely to uncover in another process a year later? Say what you want about Drink, love him or hate him makes no difference to me We were really fortunate in the hiring of Drink. He came in and adapted to our way of doing things versus blowing it up to do it his way. Given our resources, we are either going to be hire a lesser known name with App ties that wants to be here for more than a minute, or we are going to hire next step guys who are looking to cut their teeth as a HC and move on. I’m not saying that we should only look at App people to be the HC, but we are one of the winningest FBS teams because of culture. That is important.

Not sure that I agree with your assessment that we have underperformed. But, as you said, that is your opinion.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:18 pm

Look, each of us can use our own sets of values to make that judgment - in my personal set-up I don't put much into 2020 - it was a crazy year - I mean Penn St. started 0-6 and I don't think Franklin forgot how to coach - I don't even hold it again the teams I want to lose every game ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm

trjinc@triad.rr.com wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:49 pm
Our AD has to commit to paying if we want to continue to assend. If not, we won't. He has to commit to paying first, then find the $. How can LA and freaking Coastal do it, but we can't.
You are kidding right?

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:49 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm
Our AD has to commit to paying if we want to continue to assend. If not, we won't. He has to commit to paying first, then find the $. How can LA and freaking Coastal do it, but we can't.
You are kidding right?
I don't think he is --- As I said earlier -"Ok...remind me here...since App joined the SBC how many championships has Louisiana won? How about Coastal? Yeah, that's right... Wake Up"
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:41 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm
You are kidding right?
Bcoach, you and i dont agree on a few things....This isnt one of them.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:06 pm

Our ROI has to be one of the best in FBS.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:04 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:12 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:34 am
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:28 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:46 pm
Ok...remind me here...since App joined the SBC how many championships has Louisiana won? How about Coastal? Yeah, that's right... Wake Up
Man, I think your comments (many of which I have slight disagreements with) tend to be quite thoughtful but what on Earth does that have to do with this thread?
I think he’s illustrating that the sky isn’t falling. You seem pretty determined to put the nail in App’s coffin as you’ve proclaimed your displeasure with hiring Clark and you’ll probably be wearing a coastal shirt Wednesday. I’m not really sure where you are going with your takes either to be honest.
Okay Seattle, here's what I think:

1. Clark is a fine coach, I wish there had been a more open process to find a head coach.

2. We, in my opinion, have underperformed the talent we have.

3. There are financial issues that keep us from regularly completing with the top of G5 programs. (And yes I'm aware of our record. But we don't tend to win big games. Only Drink did). I think this is App State football until the department raises more money and spends it more wisely)

I don't care if you agree with any of that.
Please tell me who app missed on? Clark may actually stay for more than two years and create some stability. As has been noted, the drink hires will always leave as soon as something better comes along. And your position we don’t win the bigs ones is laughable. Ok. We’ve lost a bunch of close games to p5 schools with superior talent. I don’t really view that as a slight against our program.
You also are in love with coastal now after their ONE successful season during a pandemic where they beat BYU at home. They also promptly lost to liberty in their bowl game. I’m pretty sure we rolled to a win in ours. My point is I’m not seeing the gloom of our program the way you keep alluding.

trjinc@triad.rr.com

Unread post by trjinc@triad.rr.com » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm

I think I may have rubbed some of you the wrong way. Sorry if I did, but if everyone is happy with losing 2 in a row to Lousiana, and the possibility if losing 2 in a row to Coastal, then I can't help you. I'm sorry I'm not ok losing to UL and Coastal.

College football is a game of what have you done for me lately. Coach O is being fired after winning a Nat Champ 2 years ago.

I'm saying that if we stay with the same payment structure for coaches, we go backward! Coaches will go where they are wanted and will get paid.

I wasn't happy the way Eliah left or how fast he left, but for 3 million a year and in the SEC, does anyone blame him. I will say, we haven't won a game that we weren't heavy favorites since Eliah left. Not saying he was the reason, but the 20 and 21 teams had similar personel, if not better rated recruits as 19. I know different QB this year. And yes, I know we eaked out a win at home to Marshall, and beat a bad ECU team. They have improved though.

As for the pay your coaches, someone asked if I was a Yosef Member. Been one for a long time, and give a good deal. Will be playing in basketball golf tourney Thurs.

The problem I have with Yosef, is they keep asking the same folks to pony up more. I would like to see Yosef go after the new graduates and at least sign them up for $100 or less. Remember the IPTAY at Clemson, $10/yr.

Guess I'm just spoiled, but we can't loose to Coastal and be proud of it!

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:22 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:04 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:46 pm
Ok...remind me here...since App joined the SBC how many championships has Louisiana won? How about Coastal? Yeah, that's right... Wake Up
Man, I think your comments (many of which I have slight disagreements with) tend to be quite thoughtful but what on Earth does that have to do with this thread?
I think he’s illustrating that the sky isn’t falling. You seem pretty determined to put the nail in App’s coffin as you’ve proclaimed your displeasure with hiring Clark and you’ll probably be wearing a coastal shirt Wednesday. I’m not really sure where you are going with your takes either to be honest.

1. Clark is a fine coach, I wish there had been a more open process to find a head coach.

3. There are financial issues that keep us from regularly completing with the top of G5 programs. (And yes I'm aware of our record. But we don't tend to win big games. Only Drink did). I think this is App State football until the department raises more money and spends it more wisely)

Please tell me who app missed on? Clark may actually stay for more than two years and create some stability. As has been noted, the drink hires will always leave as soon as something better comes along. And your position we don’t win the bigs ones is laughable. Ok. We’ve lost a bunch of close games to p5 schools with superior talent. I don’t really view that as a slight against our program.
You also are in love with coastal now after their ONE successful season during a pandemic where they beat BYU at home. They also promptly lost to liberty in their bowl game. I’m pretty sure we rolled to a win in ours. My point is I’m not seeing the gloom of our program the way you keep alluding.
I'm in love with Coastal? You can't be that stupid.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:46 pm

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm
I think I may have rubbed some of you the wrong way. Sorry if I did, but if everyone is happy with losing 2 in a row to Lousiana, and the possibility if losing 2 in a row to Coastal, then I can't help you. I'm sorry I'm not ok losing to UL and Coastal.

College football is a game of what have you done for me lately. Coach O is being fired after winning a Nat Champ 2 years ago.

I'm saying that if we stay with the same payment structure for coaches, we go backward! Coaches will go where they are wanted and will get paid.

I wasn't happy the way Eliah left or how fast he left, but for 3 million a year and in the SEC, does anyone blame him. I will say, we haven't won a game that we weren't heavy favorites since Eliah left. Not saying he was the reason, but the 20 and 21 teams had similar personel, if not better rated recruits as 19. I know different QB this year. And yes, I know we eaked out a win at home to Marshall, and beat a bad ECU team. They have improved though.

As for the pay your coaches, someone asked if I was a Yosef Member. Been one for a long time, and give a good deal. Will be playing in basketball golf tourney Thurs.

The problem I have with Yosef, is they keep asking the same folks to pony up more. I would like to see Yosef go after the new graduates and at least sign them up for $100 or less. Remember the IPTAY at Clemson, $10/yr.

So what do you think we should be able to pay? Also that idiot at LSU didn't lose his job because of win loss. If that were the case he would not be finishing the year.
Just one other note. The coaches are not over and under throwing passes and they are not dropping them either.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:02 pm

It’s his second year. Get off of him. That’s the big problem with being a coach - thousands of fans think they know more than the coach. How would people in the regular job market feel about being assessed every day by hundreds of people that don’t know $#!+ ?

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:12 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:22 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

You’ve already anointed them the superior program to ours as you moan our coaching. Don’t really see how anyone could take it any other way really

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:07 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:12 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:

You’ve already anointed them the superior program to ours as you moan our coaching. Don’t really see how anyone could take it any other way really
I said Coastal is better than we are this year. I've pointed out the the poll votes agree with me. I can now add ESPN (win probably) and Vegas. I said this multiple times, that's not a hot take. I also suggested we could beat them. But I stand by my statement: Coastal has the better team this year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:57 am

We can’t be top dog year over year. When you are in first place, you have nowhere to go but down. I get no indication that this slip is going to be long term. We have played one bad football game this year. If you want the conference to get better, and it has, then you have to understand that the margin of error for App has closed. As I said, if you want to put all of your focus and discontent on one performance, go ahead. I’ve seen 5 games where we competed until the end to give me a different perspective.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:16 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:07 am
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

I said Coastal is better than we are this year. I've pointed out the the poll votes agree with me. I can now add ESPN (win probably) and Vegas. I said this multiple times, that's not a hot take. I also suggested we could beat them. But I stand by my statement: Coastal has the better team this year.
And Coastal’s quality wins are ?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:54 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:07 am
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Seattleapp wrote:
appgrad95&97 wrote:

There is absolutely no way to know without playing them. I always laugh when someone says they lost but they were the better team. Really? Sorry polls are useless in determining who is better unless all those teams play each other.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:40 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:46 pm
sorry - I don't make it to the games anymore and when I did go it was to enjoy the game, the band, the team, the atmosphere and the fans and not for any other reasons ---
Looking forward to getting you back up there, Coach! Need a reunion with Blackie and View!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:06 am

App91 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:40 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:46 pm
sorry - I don't make it to the games anymore and when I did go it was to enjoy the game, the band, the team, the atmosphere and the fans and not for any other reasons ---
Looking forward to getting you back up there, Coach! Need a reunion with Blackie and View!
That would be fantastic!!! - Thanks for the happy memories and thoughts --- not sure I'll ever make it back
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:14 pm

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm

There's valid points buried in there, but when you come on as a new poster and take the attitude that we have to commit to spending more before having those resources, you really have to realize people are going to react. That kind of magical thinking is just naïve. Business fail when they operate that way. App is coming off a Covid year in which we had to discontinue men's soccer and indoor track in an effort to meet the budget. Coaches had to furlough, etc. In that environment, your answer is "spend more and then figure out how to pay for it." Surely you don't believe that's the answer.

App has ALWAYS operated on a tight budget. Yes, Yosef Club could improve and our overall fund raising and marketing could be better. Overall, we do an amazing job of getting maximum bang for our dollars. Simply paying more isn't going to guarantee improvement. Plenty of programs outspend App but don't deliver nearly the product. A little more realistic (or complete) appraisal of the situation would ruffle fewer feathers.

Regarding your last statement, win or lose to Coastal, I'll always be PROUD to be a Mountaineer!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:07 pm

I fully support our coaches , win or tie.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”