Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Expansion Done?

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
Appstate88
School: Appalachian State

Re: Expansion Done?

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:48 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:33 pm
We will get no reduction in TV money but I do think the CFP payout will decrease because it will be split by 14 schools instead of 10. Just pointing it out, I don't think it is a big deal. I think this is GREAT for App. The Sunbelt will be strong and I believe JMU, App, Marshall will win 80% of division.

One thing I think would be great is to have two basketball tournaments...One east tournament and one west tournament and the champions meet somewhere for the championship or the highest rated division tournament champions home court. Same for Baseball.
I like that idea. All non-football sports play in a division tournament. Charlotte for the East Division. New Orleans for the West Division.

Would also like to bring back Men’s Soccer.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Yosefspipecleaner

Unread post by Yosefspipecleaner » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:49 pm

Southern Miss is App State and Georgia Southern's love child

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:39 pm

The Ga State 247 guy reported the new TV deal nets each member $2m. Take it for what its worth as I have no idea if he really knows anything.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:45 pm

This is from cheifsfan, who is a well-connected Arkansas State fans.
To clarify something: I had heard from the beginning that Georgia Southern was heavily against 12. Even as several Marshall fans convinced themselves the Eastern league was happening, I was firm that Southern's leadership would shut most of that down. App and Coastal have been the primary drivers to 14, even the West was against it.

Coastal's leadership met with AState's last week and it ended with 12 as still the plan. However, last night ESPN came back and told the Sun Belt they would significantly raise the current TV Valuation to cover the 14 teams and extended travel for Southern and Texas State. The best understanding at present is that we'll get 2 million per school to start with, rising to up to 2.5 million or more over the course of a 10 year contract. Importantly, our deal will mimic what the new AAC members are getting, and coverage will be similar for both leagues. ESPN is trying to pump us up as a major challenger to the AAC at this level.

Once ESPN came back, the Presidents met again last night (Friday) and voted unanimously to go to 14.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:57 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:45 pm
To clarify something: I had heard from the beginning that Georgia Southern was heavily against 12. Even as several Marshall fans convinced themselves the Eastern league was happening, I was firm that Southern's leadership would shut most of that down. App and Coastal have been the primary drivers to 14, even the West was against it.

Coastal's leadership met with AState's last week and it ended with 12 as still the plan. However, last night ESPN came back and told the Sun Belt they would significantly raise the current TV Valuation to cover the 14 teams and extended travel for Southern and Texas State. The best understanding at present is that we'll get 2 million per school to start with, rising to up to 2.5 million or more over the course of a 10 year contract. Importantly, our deal will mimic what the new AAC members are getting, and coverage will be similar for both leagues. ESPN is trying to pump us up as a major challenger to the AAC at this level.

Once ESPN came back, the Presidents met again last night (Friday) and voted unanimously to go to 14.
If that is all true that is the best news App has had in a long time and truly justifies this wild ride we've been on since the decision to move up came to be. We've put out a product considered valuable by the money controlling stakeholders. If the profile of the Belt can rise in basketball the way its moving in football then we will really be in business.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 pm

T-Dog wrote:

I can totally see this being pretty close to accurate.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 pm

Any thoughts on changing the name of the conference?

Some see the Sun Belt name as dated, polarizing, etc.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:17 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 pm

Doubtful. We just rebranded recently with the SBC logo.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:44 pm

Bootsy wrote:

Polarizing?

I don't get it. It is a geographic area that doesn't include WV and Virginia and stretches farther West than the conference but I don't see how it is polarizing.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:49 pm

Bootsy wrote:

Don’t see it changing. However…

SBC = Southeastern B-team Conference. 😂
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:06 pm

Posting again in the right thread.

One of the reasons this works well for us is all of our East Division road games are less than a 6 hour drive from Boone. We really would only have to take one airplane flight for the one away West Division Game as another West Division team would fly in to play us in Boone.

Approximate Drive Distances:
Coastal Carolina ~4.75 hrs.
Georgia Southern ~5.5 hrs.
Georgia State ~5 hrs.
JMU ~4.25 hrs.
Marshall ~4.5 hrs
ODU ~5.5 hrs.
All West Division Teams ~ > 7.5 hrs. - Fly then Drive

Schedule could look like this…

Odd year home games beginning in 2023
Coastal Carolina
Georgia State
Marshall
+ 1 Random draw West Division Team
+ 2 OOC Teams

Even year home games beginning in 2024
Georgia Southern
JMU
ODU
+ 1 Random draw West Division Team
+ 2 OOC Teams

Outcome
Win - You can drive to all East Division road games from most major NC cities.
Win - You get a beach trip road game each year either Coastal or ODU.
Win - You get a historical rival at home each year either Turd or Stink.
Win - You only go to Georgia once a year.
Win - Will cost less to get to games and matches for all sports. Just need to purchase an additional 4-6 App State wrapped buses to transport our teams.
Win - Will sell more season tickets with a solid home schedule every year.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

spong

Unread post by spong » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:35 am

Marshall is waiting until their new president gets on board to make any decisions (makes sense).

Here's the facts:
-Conference USA and the Sun Belt have basically the same TV revenue
-Travel is CUSA is tough town
-With CUSA expansion travel will get worst for Marshall
-The conference in unstable

By moving to the Sun Belt you maintain your revenue while reducing your expenses and increasing your stability.

You loose a rivalry with Western Kentucky (which is like their number 4 rivalry). You reignite your rivalry with App State.

This is a no brainer.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:40 am

T-Dog wrote:

That sounds awesome...what about bowl tie ins? I'd hope that ESPN would reallocate some of those AAC bowl tie ins since we'd be on par or better than the new AAC. Has Cheifsfan mentioned anything about that?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:24 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:44 pm
Bootsy wrote:

Polarizing?

I don't get it. It is a geographic area that doesn't include WV and Virginia and stretches farther West than the conference but I don't see how it is polarizing.
I have “polarizing” sun glasses. Maybe that’s it.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:57 am

The realist in me figures that it’s highly unlikely that (in my lifetime) that App probably won’t be in the playoffs. That being said the next best option is to be in an upgraded conference that includes driveable games with consistently good opponents. In conjunction with that is to have us consistently field a team that is always in the mix to win a conference title. I’d much rather us have an ODU, Marshall and even JMU over Texas State, Monroe and even Arkansas State.

We put a heck of a lot of weight on the one bowl game which I get. I wish that the bowl folks would rank the bowls (NY6 game) and down so to speak in some sort of order with the matchups based on end of season ranking. If we ended up ranked 20th maybe we get in the 5th or so “best paying” bowl against the 21st or 19th ranked team. No tie ins at all.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:06 am

That is the way the bowls should be done.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:36 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:05 pm
FYI, Liberty is not happening for several non-political reasons (plus the political reasons which everyone knows about). Private school when the Sun Belt is all regional public schools. Most of their enrollment is online and school chancellors and presidents of mostly residential schools aren't comfortable with aligning with a school like that. Also their athletic budget has been cited as another reason for not fitting in as they have seemingly unlimited funds due to 100k+ online students.

ODU is a better fit than some people would think. Regional public school, historically solid fanbase, easy to fly into, athletics fundraising would already be near the top in the Sun Belt.
I am told by a pretty heavy hitter that Liberty is not very anxious to entertain a G5 opportunity. Now that sounds kind of funny to me but so did them moving to FBS without a conference.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:31 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:17 pm
Bootsy wrote:

Doubtful. We just rebranded recently with the SBC logo.
ESPN would rename to Fun Belt
BLACK SATURDAY

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:43 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:22 am
This is going to be SEC Jr. If anyone is going to wear the P6 badge, it's going to be the Belt.
P5.1

JPatH3292

Unread post by JPatH3292 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:39 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:28 pm
JPatH3292 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:04 pm
Marshalls is fine, ODU just built a brand new stadium. Wonder if a stadium expansion was part of JMUs ticket in? Going to have some nice and hopefully full stadiums to visit going forward!
JMU stadium seats 25,000. We don't have hardly anymore many actual seats. And look at Charlotte they just got invited to the AAC and they only have 15,000 seats.
I should have been more specific. It’s more so the fact that one side looks like a FBS stadium and one side looks like high school stands. No knock on the attendance numbers, was more for the look/renovation of the stadium and money availability as they move up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”