Wyoming Discussion

LKN_Lawyer

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by LKN_Lawyer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:30 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:27 am
So far this season, staff is ahead of last on both sides of the ball.
But yet we have the same record with no TAMU win and no Troy win. Only GWU and a terrible ECU.

RankinApp
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by RankinApp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:34 am

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:37 am

I want so badly for the team to succeed that at the end of the year everyone can tell me how stupid I was for even doubting Clark. I want him to succeed. I want every player to be desired and have success. I want Clark to be so good he's offered jobs like Satt and Drink were. Calling for someone to do better doesn't make us haters.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:39 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:47 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:39 am
A tax bracket App created. You leave that part out conveniently. We set the standard for the last two decades, some of us aren’t as willing to concede the crown. Sorry that bothers you.
2 decades?? We only been in the SBC since 2014 - and yes App set the standard, my point is other programs aren't going to sit by and not put up a fight, resources etc. Ya'll compare Clark to the past and all things considering that isn't totally fair. A lot of close games he's won as well. Go do your research. You guys have 3 week amnesia from when you were blowing off JA after the G Webb win, now it's "bench his tail"
Johnny come lately don’t ever lecture me about App football. You lose every time.

I said tap the brakes on setting Joey on a pedestal after a half and said this loss wasn’t on Joey a few pages back, you are confused and putting posters in general groups that just don’t exist.
Last edited by Saint3333 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:42 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:23 am
Last game we failed to score an offensive touchdown was 2013 against Georgia. It's pointless now (really anytime) but if we took a show of hands how many of us would have been happy had we gone for touchdowns on those first two possessions and come away with nothing? Obviously some would have complained about the play calls or simply that we didn't score. I was fine getting 3 on the first possession. After that we just played scared. I watched the short press conference clip and I didn't hear the obligatory "this is on me" stuff. Coach uses "we" a lot. I saw several closeups of Joey and I didn't see the same look in his eyes that I saw the last few weeks. If we called that first backwards pass that was absolutely stupid. Going about 2 yards past the line and then throwing the ball, another brain fart. The last back foot heave in that situation, brutal. If the teams had been equal and we simply lost like 27-24 you can live with it (I guess) but to double up the offensive stats, limit them to 7 (yes seven) first downs and thoroughly dominate TOP and lose is mind boggling.
We ran that play more than once, which means it's something they practiced and wanted to run. It looked ugly both times.
The Appalachian State

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:42 am

AppinVA wrote:
The irony here is that folks who are coming down on Clark would love nothing more than to be proven wrong. One guy on the other side has already stated he wants the status quo to continue so HE can be proven right.
Reposting this, getting lectured by someone that doesn’t put App State’s interest above their own isn’t acceptable to this Mountaineer.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:43 am

Instead of a baseball analogy how about basketball. Don't blow a 10 point lead and bitch about a missed call at the end. Put the other team away and don't play conservatively in the last few minutes. If you are clearly the better team take some chances early inside the 10 yard line. It was a non-conference game so why play so conservatively and settle for FG's at all? We played like this game was deciding the conference or something.

It hasn't been mentioned but did they even review that (I think) Stroman catch on the sideline? Looked close enough to check. We also had the throw into the endzone that was clearly PI- not late one but one earlier. Those plays hurt. In other games we had that triple option play where Joey could either handoff, tuck and run or throw in the flat to a tight end. Very effective and never called last night. I think the frustration from many of us is that coach says, we are a running team and we are gonna run the ball. We can't absolutely just impose our will on every opponent. Wyoming was playing way off of our receivers giving us the screens for 5 yards. We seemed to ignore it.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:45 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:42 am
Reposting this, getting lectured by someone that doesn’t put App State’s interest above their own isn’t acceptable to this Mountaineer.
It seems there's still a lot of "lil ol Appalachian should know its place and expect .500 or slightly better seasons" populating the fanbase.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:52 am

appst89 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:29 am
Stop the personal attacks now!
Yes please

J_Mountaineers

Unread post by J_Mountaineers » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:53 am

This team is loaded with talent and they’re certainly capable of so much but looking ahead: Coastal, Marshall, JMU, Ga State and Southern are all very likely close games at this juncture in the season. We better hope we can secure wins against ULM, ODU, and USM, because statistically speaking, we can only count on about one of those close games being a W down the road.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:07 am

Saint3333 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
The irony here is that folks who are coming down on Clark would love nothing more than to be proven wrong. One guy on the other side has already stated he wants the status quo to continue so HE can be proven right.
Agreed. We have some people who definitely want him no matter what and will make excuses because he serves their best interest. Crazy thing is Shawn is like you and me and he wants what is best for our program. If making a change is best he will understand. I think it is good to give a coach 4 years, unless it appears the HC is a clown. With a new QB I think if we go 8-4 or better Clark stays but he is only going if we end up 7-5 or worse.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:10 am

2015- Stink
2016- Ark State
2017- lost 3 non conference games and ULM
2018- best year
2019- Stink
2020- Covid
2021- 2 La losses and awful bowl loss
2022- we all know

Looked back since 2015 and the ones with Stink were the only conference losses. 2018 was probably the best year followed by 2019 with the Stink loss. It looks like since even 2015 we only had a handful of wins over teams who actually finished over .500. While many thought a few of our teams were "loaded" in reality we played lots of mediocre teams. I'm proud of my school and all we have accomplished. I've said many times that people must overlook the fact that teams we play actually recruit, practice and coach just as hard as we do. I'm still excited about the conference slate and see a lot of promise.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:12 am

RankinApp wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:45 am
Saint3333 wrote:
It seems there's still a lot of "lil ol Appalachian should know its place and expect .500 or slightly better seasons" populating the fanbase.
We don't have room for anyone who is fine with going 7-5 or 6-6 or worse. I would rather average 28,000 with everyone expecting to win than have 40,000 and 1/4 of the crowd just be happy with going 6-6. Appalachian's place is winning titles and anyone who does not agree with that should seriously go pull for Wake, Charlotte, South Carolina or some program who is use to it and fine with it.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:22 am

Unfortunately, Wyoming just gave everyone the keys to success for slowing down the offense. Play shell coverage, load the box, no deep shots. We’ve got to find ways to get guys open in space and let them work.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:25 am

We've won many games over the years where we were not the better team. It happens. The odd shaped ball takes odd bounces sometimes.

What matters is if we turn this in to fuel for the rest of the season. And what I saw in that locker room was a lot of fuel -- maybe even some flames already lit.

Our defense is ahead of schedule but still needs improvement. Our offense is obviously a work in progress but looked really good for about 60-80 yards a drive last night.

Chasing points in the first half with a defense that is dominating is never the right thing to do. Just like against ECU when they went for 2 -- not smart. And everyone complaining about Clark doing that are the same ones saying he should chase the points last night. It's really easy to make decisions when you already know the outcome.

If you think Clark is in over his head, cool. But if you're using last night as part your argument, you very obviously are not going to be happy with Clark unless he wins 100% of his games and that's just not possible.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:26 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:10 am
2015- Stink
2016- Ark State
2017- lost 3 non conference games and ULM
2018- best year
2019- Stink
2020- Covid
2021- 2 La losses and awful bowl loss
2022- we all know

Looked back since 2015 and the ones with Stink were the only conference losses. 2018 was probably the best year followed by 2019 with the Stink loss. It looks like since even 2015 we only had a handful of wins over teams who actually finished over .500. While many thought a few of our teams were "loaded" in reality we played lots of mediocre teams. I'm proud of my school and all we have accomplished. I've said many times that people must overlook the fact that teams we play actually recruit, practice and coach just as hard as we do. I'm still excited about the conference slate and see a lot of promise.
You are right with this about the league. The Sun Belt was really bad prior to 2020 so yes we beat a lot of mediocre teams. The league is very tough and it is going to be harder to win for sure. That is why clock management, strategy, scheme, play calling, and limiting mistakes is very crucial. I have no doubt this team would win the Sun Belt prior to 2018 but it is a lot harder and we have to be well coached and limit mistakes or else we will lose a lot of games like this.

Other schools recruit, coach, and play hard for sure but just because they do does not mean we should accept mediocrity. Someone has to win the league and I want it to be us. Wyoming does not effect us in league standings but they just gave teams the key to beating us and I believe there are at least 2-3 other teams in the SBC who would beat Wyoming.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:27 am

How many on here bragged during last week working at their factory job or state paying job or in the Dook Power break room about beating in state rival EZU??

Thank you Clark!

ASUTodd

Unread post by ASUTodd » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:29 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:27 am
How many on here bragged during last week working at their factory job or state paying job or in the Dook Power break room about beating in state rival EZU??

Thank you Clark!
The last thing I wanted to do was brag about beating ECU.

LKN_Lawyer

Unread post by LKN_Lawyer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:35 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:27 am

Thank you Clark!
So I guess being a teacher (a state paying job) is a negative based on the derogatory tone of your post? If so, then you just blasted the foundation of our alma mater

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:36 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:25 am
We've won many games over the years where we were not the better team. It happens. The odd shaped ball takes odd bounces sometimes.

What matters is if we turn this in to fuel for the rest of the season. And what I saw in that locker room was a lot of fuel -- maybe even some flames already lit.

Our defense is ahead of schedule but still needs improvement. Our offense is obviously a work in progress but looked really good for about 60-80 yards a drive last night.

Chasing points in the first half with a defense that is dominating is never the right thing to do. Just like against ECU when they went for 2 -- not smart. And everyone complaining about Clark doing that are the same ones saying he should chase the points last night. It's really easy to make decisions when you already know the outcome.

If you think Clark is in over his head, cool. But if you're using last night as part your argument, you very obviously are not going to be happy with Clark unless he wins 100% of his games and that's just not possible.
This is all very true. I actually liked Clark's strategy in the 4th even though I also think we could have tried to score more aggressively and still given Wyoming 4-5 minutes with the ball because of how our defense was playing.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”