Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Bigdaddyg1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:21 am

What do some you NIL knowledgeable guys think is "big money" that Spillers and Abson are likely to get? Are they really 6 figure power school guys? Abson will need to develop more of a back to the basket offensive game. He won't get so many dumb shot attempts from higher level competition to block like he saw this season. Spillers can probably play at most levels but must be envisioning a big payday- can't blame him but I really don't see huge money.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:28 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:21 am
What do some you NIL knowledgeable guys think is "big money" that Spillers and Abson are likely to get? Are they really 6 figure power school guys? Abson will need to develop more of a back to the basket offensive game. He won't get so many dumb shot attempts from higher level competition to block like he saw this season. Spillers can probably play at most levels but must be envisioning a big payday- can't blame him but I really don't see huge money.
No clue about what they are being offered but if it’s over $100k someone is very desperate. Both had size advantages at our level but won’t have that at the next level.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am

I do not know however I have been told there were discussions in the $40-50k range. Again this would be third hand so take it for what it’s worth.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:43 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:28 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:17 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:26 am
Here’s the conundrum non cartel schools face….it’s not in their control. It’s gotta be tough for an AD with limited budgets and tapped out supporters. I’ll be waiting for the chips to fall where they may.
Well said. If honestly look at App and Alumni, we are a blue collar type of school for lack of a better term. Have some of our grads done well, yes ..but not at the rate as the larger programs.. or at overall rate. We need more deep pockets and do not have it. It is great that we contribute what we can...we need more deep pockets that can give the $500K and $1.0 million as compared to $500 to $1000 a pop. We need both.
The only thing here I would disagree with is the $500 to $1000 a pop comment. We have far to few donors at the $1000 an up level. Every year the Yosef reported comes out I am shocked and disappointed at how few people give in the $1000 to $5000 range. We can't all wait for committed millionaires. We should just have more people who do more
I agree..that is why I said...We need Both
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:12 am

Quick search about alumni earnings UNC-CH vs App. This was a quick search so it may or may not be precise but I think it reasonably summarizes the point and passes the sniff test.

UNC-CH
https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/ ... /salaries/
How much money do University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill graduates make and which majors earn the most upon graduating? Six years after enrolling, alumni who are working have average earnings of $48,600 per year. After ten years, graduates earn $66,100 on average.

App State
https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/ ... 20average.
How much money do Appalachian State University graduates make and which majors earn the most upon graduating? Six years after enrolling, alumni who are working have average earnings of $31,900 per year. After ten years, graduates earn $41,600 on average.

That is basically 50% more PER YEAR and it compounds over time, so if you extrapolate that over a 30 year career that is a lot more disposable money PER alumni. They also have more alumni that App. So some have said we have to have more alumni making more money, this proves that point of why we are at a disadvantage.

Point in fact: Teachers don't make jack, and my mother was a teacher. Doctors, Lawyers, executives and business owners make money.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:40 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:12 am
Quick search about alumni earnings UNC-CH vs App. This was a quick search so it may or may not be precise but I think it reasonably summarizes the point and passes the sniff test.

UNC-CH
How much money do University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill graduates make and which majors earn the most upon graduating? Six years after enrolling, alumni who are working have average earnings of $48,600 per year. After ten years, graduates earn $66,100 on average.

App State
How much money do Appalachian State University graduates make and which majors earn the most upon graduating? Six years after enrolling, alumni who are working have average earnings of $31,900 per year. After ten years, graduates earn $41,600 on average.

That is basically 50% more PER YEAR and it compounds over time, so if you extrapolate that over a 30 year career that is a lot more disposable money PER alumni. They also have more alumni that App. So some have said we have to have more alumni making more money, this proves that point of why we are at a disadvantage.

Point in fact: Teachers don't make jack, and my mother was a teacher. Doctors, Lawyers, executives and business owners make money.
Exactly. Until we have a law school or med school we will always be at a huge disadvantage. I am not worried about competing with UNC in money. We just aren't capable. Those who say we need more NIL funds either should just stop beating the dead horse, give more money, or go get us those big money donors. Most of us are tapped out with our salaries and inflation like it is. And if all of our good players are going to just demand money to stay or else enter the portal then I might just stop giving all together. I want players who want to be at App and I know it is not for everyone. I am not buying their loyalty. We do a lot for them already and always have. If they don't appreciate it then they can go to UNC.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:46 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:40 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

UNC-CH

App State

Exactly. Until we have a law school or med school we will always be at a huge disadvantage. I am not worried about competing with UNC in money. We just aren't capable. Those who say we need more NIL funds either should just stop beating the dead horse, give more money, or go get us those big money donors. Most of us are tapped out with our salaries and inflation like it is. And if all of our good players are going to just demand money to stay or else enter the portal then I might just stop giving all together. I want players who want to be at App and I know it is not for everyone. I am not buying their loyalty. We do a lot for them already and always have. If they don't appreciate it then they can go to UNC.
Wrong thread for this, but…An Engineering degree would do wonders. Civil, Mechancical, Structural, Traffic…etc. Not sure why we couldn’t tie that into the Building Science department. With the growth of Real Eatate development and automotive industry (EV) in the Carolinas these are very needed jobs. Clemson and NCState kids in these fields that I know are crushing it.
This would increase salaries for alumni, giving, and NIL contributions.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:01 pm

Beyond that , we aren’t in one of the fastest growing and most prosperous Metros in America where sponsorship opportunities are everywhere. State and UNC are.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:28 pm

311neers wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:31 am
BambooRdApp wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:17 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:26 am
Here’s the conundrum non cartel schools face….it’s not in their control. It’s gotta be tough for an AD with limited budgets and tapped out supporters. I’ll be waiting for the chips to fall where they may.
Well said. If honestly look at App and Alumni, we are a blue collar type of school for lack of a better term. Have some of our grads done well, yes ..but not at the rate as the larger programs.. or at overall rate. We need more deep pockets and do not have it. It is great that we contribute what we can...we need more deep pockets that can give the $500K and $1.0 million as compared to $500 to $1000 a pop. We need both.
Need better degrees that lead to higher paying jobs. It seems like we are improving at this over the past few years but it will take time.
ECU has better degrees and has the same fundraising issues.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:16 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:

UNC-CH

App State

Yo momma done good with you 👏😃

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:15 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:

UNC-CH

App State

Just like the teaching profession itself, being a great college of education just means you have a whole bunch of great alumni with no extra money to give.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:04 pm

A division 2 head coach friend of mine said there are 2,000 kids in the portal in division 1 and 2.

It's a shit show !!

One of Kobe Bryant's coaches said that all the head coaches should let the kids sit in the portal 😃😍👏

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:58 pm

311neers wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:46 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:40 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:

UNC-CH

App State

Wrong thread for this, but…An Engineering degree would do wonders. Civil, Mechancical, Structural, Traffic…etc. Not sure why we couldn’t tie that into the Building Science department. With the growth of Real Eatate development and automotive industry (EV) in the Carolinas these are very needed jobs. Clemson and NCState kids in these fields that I know are crushing it.
This would increase salaries for alumni, giving, and NIL contributions.
Good point! I am not sure why they have not added that as well. Engineers make good money. Bottom line is they are tapping out just about every current YC member and need to add a new pool of donors who are getting high paying degrees.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:41 am

Do we still have the engineering degree program partnership with Auburn?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:05 pm

https://t.co/vwHcSCPf7u

Spillers has Wake and LSU among his schools.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:14 pm

Nineteen of the 40 starters in the elite 8 began their careers somewhere other than the team they started for this weekend.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:54 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:14 pm
Nineteen of the 40 starters in the elite 8 began their careers somewhere other than the team they started for this weekend.
Did anyone other than Duke have all original starters?
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:01 pm

hapapp wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:14 pm
That is a crazy stat.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:04 pm

Spillers has narrowed down to 4 schools. Rumors are that Spillers had been hearing from Wake for a few weeks, well before we played them. Kerns knew it and I am sure he was upset with the Wake Forest coach. I wonder how much money Wake Forest offered him.

https://x.com/336Edits/status/1774489441517678693?s=20

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:24 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:04 pm
Spillers has narrowed down to 4 schools. Rumors are that Spillers had been hearing from Wake for a few weeks, well before we played them. Kerns knew it and I am sure he was upset with the Wake Forest coach. I wonder how much money Wake Forest offered him.

https://x.com/336Edits/status/1774489441517678693?s=20
Explains his reaction during the Wake game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”