Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

appdaze

Re: Portal season (Abson, Spillers, etc)

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:17 am

appvette wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 pm
appdaze wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:45 pm
So, the labor use a company to get work experience on their resume so they can jump to a company that pays more but wants them to have work experience. Hmmmm. Some companies can pay workers more than others for the same jobs. The companies use the labor to "win" profits for their investors. I know y'all are having a meltdown and refuse to see this as what it is....a labor market....but it is, and pretending it's anything other than that is just silly at this point. Accept it for what it is and decide whether or not you want to like it or hate it, but stop pretending it's something it's not. Athletes should have been under contract by the time the 1980s rolled around and college sports really started to make money. The market would have already sorted itself out, and schools at all levels would have already adjusted, and we would all be cheering on our teams. Instead, the billionaire/millionaire powers that be hung onto the BS concept of an amateur athlete for decades longer. They sold the farce well, and many fans still believe in it.

It will take a good decade for this to work itself out, but it will. It has one of two pathways to take. The players become contracted workers for the school or sports fully separate from the schools, and the schools and the teams create licensing contracts with each other to use their name and likeness to keep the connections, logos, etc going. I think the latter will eventually happen with football and basketball.

You had the luck of going to a small regional school instead of an SEC team.

Love it or hate it, here we are.
It might be a labor market, but it's not a laissez-faire free market. You have institutions trying to attract labor, but the funds used to pay for it comes from student fees that are mandatory, funded by government backed, subsided loans. The money also comes from donations and tax money (but not at every place). And the labor is also required to do another unpaid job (school) and meet academic standards but those standards are different for each place. And each laborer is only allowed to "work" for about 5 years. So, it is a clunky hybrid of a market that is like no other. We can't just pretend that this is like Microsoft and Apple bidding for the best software engineers.
The government has restrictions on our labor market, so the US doesn't have a laissez-faire labor market. From what I have seen, no NIL money comes from student fees or anything government-backed. NIL money comes from collectives not directly associated with the school or from direct contracts between a player and a vendor. The unpaid job of school is the part that I've argued will eventually separate sports from the schools. The other argument is that the education side is compensated with the scholarship. They were students before they were athletes. The scholarships are the compensation provided for the academic side of the transaction. The new NIL world is how many will get paid for their athletic labor and their image. Right now, over 450k college athletes are receiving some level of NIL money. So it is pretty much like any business: you try to hire away the best employees from another business. The main difference is that you are hiring your employees for two jobs, 1 academic where they are compensated with a scholarship, and 1 athletic where they are paid by NIL.

This two-job split is why sports will eventually split from the universities and simply represent them in name and likeness through licensing agreements. As of now the schools would have difficulty signing athletes to general contracts as the contract money would be coming from third-party sources in the collectives. So if Apple hired employees but a tech collective paid their salaries, that's what it would look like currently, which, of course, wouldn't work for long because those collectives will start trying to dictate what their benefactors do on the job. It's not going to end well for the universities, but this is a reckoning decades in the making that could have been solved decades ago, but greed wins the minds of those in power.

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:44 am

appdaze wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:17 am
appvette wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 pm
appdaze wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:45 pm
So, the labor use a company to get work experience on their resume so they can jump to a company that pays more but wants them to have work experience. Hmmmm. Some companies can pay workers more than others for the same jobs. The companies use the labor to "win" profits for their investors. I know y'all are having a meltdown and refuse to see this as what it is....a labor market....but it is, and pretending it's anything other than that is just silly at this point. Accept it for what it is and decide whether or not you want to like it or hate it, but stop pretending it's something it's not. Athletes should have been under contract by the time the 1980s rolled around and college sports really started to make money. The market would have already sorted itself out, and schools at all levels would have already adjusted, and we would all be cheering on our teams. Instead, the billionaire/millionaire powers that be hung onto the BS concept of an amateur athlete for decades longer. They sold the farce well, and many fans still believe in it.

It will take a good decade for this to work itself out, but it will. It has one of two pathways to take. The players become contracted workers for the school or sports fully separate from the schools, and the schools and the teams create licensing contracts with each other to use their name and likeness to keep the connections, logos, etc going. I think the latter will eventually happen with football and basketball.

You had the luck of going to a small regional school instead of an SEC team.

Love it or hate it, here we are.
It might be a labor market, but it's not a laissez-faire free market. You have institutions trying to attract labor, but the funds used to pay for it comes from student fees that are mandatory, funded by government backed, subsided loans. The money also comes from donations and tax money (but not at every place). And the labor is also required to do another unpaid job (school) and meet academic standards but those standards are different for each place. And each laborer is only allowed to "work" for about 5 years. So, it is a clunky hybrid of a market that is like no other. We can't just pretend that this is like Microsoft and Apple bidding for the best software engineers.
The government has restrictions on our labor market, so the US doesn't have a laissez-faire labor market. From what I have seen, no NIL money comes from student fees or anything government-backed. NIL money comes from collectives not directly associated with the school or from direct contracts between a player and a vendor. The unpaid job of school is the part that I've argued will eventually separate sports from the schools. The other argument is that the education side is compensated with the scholarship. They were students before they were athletes. The scholarships are the compensation provided for the academic side of the transaction. The new NIL world is how many will get paid for their athletic labor and their image. Right now, over 450k college athletes are receiving some level of NIL money. So it is pretty much like any business: you try to hire away the best employees from another business. The main difference is that you are hiring your employees for two jobs, 1 academic where they are compensated with a scholarship, and 1 athletic where they are paid by NIL.

This two-job split is why sports will eventually split from the universities and simply represent them in name and likeness through licensing agreements. As of now the schools would have difficulty signing athletes to general contracts as the contract money would be coming from third-party sources in the collectives. So if Apple hired employees but a tech collective paid their salaries, that's what it would look like currently, which, of course, wouldn't work for long because those collectives will start trying to dictate what their benefactors do on the job. It's not going to end well for the universities, but this is a reckoning decades in the making that could have been solved decades ago, but greed wins the minds of those in power.
I mostly agree with what you said but one error you made is the scholarship is not their payment for academics. They get a free scholarship that includes everything for playing sports. I also think we need to admit that athletics allows many kids to get in a good college who would not have if not for athletics. At D1 power schools the football players have always been paid as well. I have always thought players should be able to make money off advertising on social media, merch sales, autograph sessions, etc but right now this is the wild west and has to be fixed.

If a non-athlete gets a big following on Youtube or X and they monetize it those platforms take a cut. Could schools ever get to that point where they do get a small cut from providing the platform on this NIL stuff if all players are given a small salary for playing?

Something needs to be worked out so schools like App and JMU who put a lot into these players don't walk away with nothing when a power school tampers and lures them into the portal as well. Could we get where we have contracts and buyouts on athletes?

agentpaul001

Unread post by agentpaul001 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:17 am

Tbh we've lost literally nearly every player from this year's roster heading into next season and both the coach & University haven't said anything. That's reason enough to be frustrated. Kerns has been fairly communicative in the past about the team so even something as simple as "I'm the coach and that's that." would be appreciated (presuming they're still communicating with recruits to keep them committed behind the scenes).

As mentioned the portal exodus could've been some sort of unfortunate unraveling as a few left for various reasons and maybe we'll get lucky and a few will return. In Harcum's absence Marsh would've been in for some serious minutes (and vice versa) and so on.

It would be nice to know that at least if the roster turns over in its entirety that we at least have continuity with Kerns.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:12 am

agentpaul001 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:17 am
Tbh we've lost literally nearly every player from this year's roster heading into next season and both the coach & University haven't said anything. That's reason enough to be frustrated. Kerns has been fairly communicative in the past about the team so even something as simple as "I'm the coach and that's that." would be appreciated (presuming they're still communicating with recruits to keep them committed behind the scenes).

As mentioned the portal exodus could've been some sort of unfortunate unraveling as a few left for various reasons and maybe we'll get lucky and a few will return. In Harcum's absence Marsh would've been in for some serious minutes (and vice versa) and so on.

It would be nice to know that at least if the roster turns over in its entirety that we at least have continuity with Kerns.
I understand the frustration. What I don’t understand is the feeling that the concern that the coach is gone because nothing is being said. A lot of theories being bounced around on this platform based on wild assumption. (I know. It’s a message board.)
Last edited by AppSt94 on Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:17 am

You really don't understand that feeling? I get that you don't think anything should be said or needs to be said. But you don't get the feeling that basically two weeks is silence portends something ominous?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:22 am

Silence creates a void. In the absence of something real to fill said void, people will speculate. If the speculation is a problem, then fill the void with something concrete. It's really that simple.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:24 am

Just imagine if shortly after the Wake loss, Kerns made a statement about the historic season, thanked the players and the fans. And said something about taking more stairs next year...

pop5app

Unread post by pop5app » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:25 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:12 am
agentpaul001 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:17 am

I understand the frustration. What I do t understand is the feeling that the concern that the coach is gone because nothing is being said. A lot of theories being bounced around on this platform based on wild assumption. (I know. It’s a message board.)

Well, it is the age of conspiracy theories.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:41 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:17 am
You really don't understand that feeling? I get that you don't think anything should be said or needs to be said. But you don't get the feeling that basically two weeks is silence portends something ominous?
Was there a need to publicly say that he was returning after last season, or the season before? I haven’t seen one coach of any college basketball team publicly announce their intentions to return next year. Again, he is under contract for two more years so what does he need to publicly say?

No, I don’t find the “lack” of information or communication from Kerns or Gillin as impending doom because there is nothing to fear. They have more important things to do than publicly address something that doesn’t need to be addressed. If Kerns were to leave, which he isn’t planning to from my understanding, then we will find another coach. We will replenish the roster of the departed and basketball will be played in Holmes next November. There are plenty of both out there. Have some faith and let things play out.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:52 am

ECU has 9 in the portal

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:00 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:52 am
ECU has 9 in the portal
Has their coach publicly announced that he is coming back?

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:05 am

Just to circle back on paying college players (I have grown to hate the term student athlete) as an example how many number 14 jerseys do y'all think the school sold whether it be at the student Union, the stadium or some other outlet when AE played? Nobody really randomly bought a 14 just because there was a rack of 50 different numbers. No idea how much one went for but if he had been paid $1-$2 (or whatever) he would have made a nice extra income. Same can be said for most star players.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:12 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:05 am
Just to circle back on paying college players (I have grown to hate the term student athlete) as an example how many number 14 jerseys do y'all think the school sold whether it be at the student Union, the stadium or some other outlet when AE played? Nobody really randomly bought a 14 just because there was a rack of 50 different numbers. No idea how much one went for but if he had been paid $1-$2 (or whatever) he would have made a nice extra income. Same can be said for most star players.
I don’t think that was allowed until recently.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:39 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:00 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
ECU has 9 in the portal
Surprisingly, I don't believe there has been any type of announcement :lol:

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:47 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
ECU has 9 in the portal
That's one for every two losses they had.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:19 am

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:24 am
Just imagine if shortly after the Wake loss, Kerns made a statement about the historic season, thanked the players and the fans. And said something about taking more stairs next year...
Go back and listen to the postgame show from our radio broadcast. He basically said all of this.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:28 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
ECU has 9 in the portal
Nobody expects a public state of the union type thing but I do expect to hear of a reworked contract with Kerns. According to online articles he was only paid 325k plus incentives and we need to make him the highest paid coach in the SBC. I am hoping they get a completely new contract so we can get a high buyout if a power school offers him next year.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:36 am

AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
ECU has 9 in the portal
I think it happened at Kentucky/Calipari - I know Jim Larranaga announced he would be back - could be a few others
But I am with you that an announcement to fans isn't mandatory
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:42 am

Wonder if he thought he had the NC State job tied up before they went on to win 9 and make a Final 4.
(April fools, a day late)

GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool

Unread post by GSUwasGump’sFallbackSchool » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:45 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:28 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
BUTCH1991 wrote:
ECU has 9 in the portal
The only announcement myself and others expect is a reworked contract with Kerns. According to online articles he was only paid 325k plus incentives. He needs to be the highest paid coach in the SBC for next year. I am hoping they get a completely new contract so we can get a high buyout if a power school offers him next year.
The new JMU guy got 600k/year.

The JMU’s athletic department invest…errr I mean student fees have got to help them make that pay range.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”