Wyoming Discussion

WataugaMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:04 am

Actually, a 6-6 record with 2 of the wins being against FCS opponents does not qualify as bowl eligible.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:06 am

Just to be clear, our 6-6 last year was NOT technically bowl eligible. If we had been eligible we would have been invited. We were 4-6 against FBS opponents and beat two FCS opponents. Only one of those could count for bowl eligibility.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:07 am

I wonder which coach is responsible for recruiting 90% of the defense that played so great last night? Which coach put the OL together that has been dominant? Recruited 2 transfer QBs and the starting QB against GW. When we have injuries to our key players last year and struggle, everyone screams “FIRE CLARK”.

If y’all can’t see that Clark has had to rebuild this entire team (and has done a great job at it) then no one can help you.

You all are pissed at Clark for doing the EXACT same thing we did in 2019 against ULL. The difference? A backup OL gets beat inside and gives up a blocked field goal. “FIRE CLARK”.

Last year everyone was pissed at Clark for never taking the points. This game, we take the points and everyone screams “FIRE CLARK”.

Last year everyone was pissed about our RB rotation. This year we have a lead back and everyone can’t quit talking about damn backup RBs. “FIRE CLARK”.

It doesn’t matter what Clark or any coach does here, the majority of this board is too pathetic to acknowledge anything good. It happens with every coach and every damn week. It’s pathetic.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 am

Fire Saban he lost to Texas last week. Hasn't won a championship since 2020!

Fire Ryan Day he can't beat Michigan!

Fire the Notre Dame coach he only had 10 men on defense last night vs OSU!!

Fire Dabo he lost to DOOK and FSU this year!

Fire Coach Prime he get smoked by the Ducks!

Godzilla damn. Let's fire Clark too he lost a close game at Wyoming as a 3 point underdog!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 am

We really could have won big, but really figured out how to give that one away.

SC has said field goals don't win games I don't know how many times. His Nostradamus point.
There are short yardage situations over the years we've needed the philosophy of going under center. My Nostradamus point.

Coming into the season, I thought we would show improvement if we won 3 games in September. We could have won 5 - counting ULM.

Overall, we've played well this September. Loss to a currently undefeated P5 on OT and last night west of the Mississippi River to a team we dominated that gave a top 5 ranked team a heck of a good game last week. This is an improvement since last October.

We've won plenty of games over the years that we had no business winning just like we got beat yesterday. It was just our turn to take one.

Bottom line is losing hurts. This game shouldn't keep us from having a good season and winning our conference like I think we are good enough to do or going to the Myrtle Beach Bowl or the like.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 am

LKN_Lawyer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:51 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:32 am
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:16 am
I looked back at 2016 as an example. We went 10-3 and people thought we were fantastic. We beat Savannah State, ODU who had just moved up, Idaho, New Mexico State, got throttled by Miami at home and beat some bad Belt teams. I'll rephrase the earlier question. Since the 2016 season how many "quality wins" do we have- the opponent finished with at least 7 wins (just use that as a base) and how many bad losses (the opponent finished with a .500 or worse final record)? I'm guessing that we have more bad losses than quality wins. We beat CCU when they were ranked. After that what?
This is a great post...

Satt coached against 5 ranked teams during his total tenure.

Clark coached against 3 ranked teams alone on one season. And the SBC the last 3 seasons has had multiple top 25 ranked teams, ULL, Coastal. It's a different tax bracket Clark is coaching in.
And we are still a better overall program than these programs and have proven multiple times that we should be beating them on the field (save the one ULL game where they just were clearly the better team).

No one is saying that we must win every game but it sure it is easier as a fanbase to handle loses when the coach is out there taking risks trying to win the game instead of having the same predictable issues arise.

It’s better to strike out swinging trying to put the ball in play than take strike 3 hoping to walk in the winning run.
While your baseball analogy is correct, it's apples to oranges.

What if Clark played for the win and Joey threw another pick 6 or Noel fumbled and returned for a TD? Then it's "OMG CLARK! GAME WAS IN HAND! JUST KICK THE FG!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" by the same exact people saying he should go for the win.

Both of those potential things happen WAY more often than a blocked FG. Let alone a blocked FG to take a perfect bounce into the defenders hands. Nobody could have expected what happen to happen. It was the first time in their history that kind of play happened at all. It just happened to be at a very critical time in the game against us.

There's no question we were the better team. But sometimes, the better team doesn't win.

Ultimately, this was on the execution of the players in the red zone, some weird stuff Wyoming was going in the middle on FG attempts (caught wind of what it was and it's not anywhere close to legal if that is what was happening), and an odd lateral play with another ball that hit Davis in the hands and he drops it.

The game plan was perfection. It was ran to perfection outside of 3 plays (4 if you count the last play blunder). Anybody saying the gameplan was poor either didn't pay attention or knows nothing about football. We took a team that usually has the ball for 40 minutes and held them to under 20... that is gameplan perfection! We flipped the script on them and they were lost.

We were not out coached, out schemed, etc. We were out executed in 3 crucial plays (which yes, I understand ultimately is the head coaches responsibility). If our players out execute them on literally 1 more play, we win.

Again, I get execution is on the head coach. But, it is also week 4 with a lot of new faces on the staff. It's going to take time to gel. This is not an excuse, (I am not excusing it. It needs to be fixed and fixed soon) but an understanding of why execution can be sloppy in some cases. It sucks, but it's going to happen. That's why there are 12 guaranteed games. The fire and emotion on the leaders of this team after the loss was something I haven't seen since 2017. We'll be fine.

And just remember -- although Clark adamantly denies it, this is a rebuild year.
Last edited by AppStateNews on Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Schundy38

Unread post by Schundy38 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 am

I attended the game and had a great experience besides the lose. Parking was easy to walk to the stadium and was free. Had wifi the whole game. Easy entry and exit. Concessions were diverse and reasonably priced. Thought we were going to win until we didn't. I now know how the Troy fans felt last year. We dominated the whole game. As they say, stats are for losers. Go Mountaineers.
Last edited by Schundy38 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

LKN_Lawyer

Unread post by LKN_Lawyer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:07 am
I wonder which coach is responsible for recruiting 90% of the defense that played so great last night? Which coach put the OL together that has been dominant? Recruited 2 transfer QBs and the starting QB against GW. When we have injuries to our key players last year and struggle, everyone screams “FIRE CLARK”.

If y’all can’t see that Clark has had to rebuild this entire team (and has done a great job at it) then no one can help you.

You all are pissed at Clark for doing the EXACT same thing we did in 2019 against ULL. The difference? A backup OL gets beat inside and gives up a blocked field goal. “FIRE CLARK”.

Last year everyone was pissed at Clark for never taking the points. This game, we take the points and everyone screams “FIRE CLARK”.

It doesn’t matter what Clark or any coach does here, the majority of this board is too pathetic to acknowledge anything good. It happens with every coach and every damn week. It’s pathetic.
So just let him coach in perpetuity because he is an App guy huh? When would you be okay letting him go? Another .500 or below season? Two more? 3 more?

If he wasn’t an App guy, would you have the same feelings? When it comes to being the team’s HC, being a former player shouldn’t buy you any additional leeway, you either perform or you don’t.

LKN_Lawyer

Unread post by LKN_Lawyer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:15 am

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 am

Godzilla damn. Let's fire Clark too he lost a close game at Wyoming as a 3 point underdog!
When will you get it through that thick skull that it isn’t just this single game? It’s the multitude of games for the exact same issues.

And there are plenty of fans clamoring for Dabo’s head based on his stubbornness and refusal to adapt to NIL and the transfer portal like every other major program. It’s getting Clemson left behind and the media is making him look terrible for his positions on those topics, which can’t help recruiting.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:16 am

ASUFan4863 wrote:

Last year everyone was pissed about our RB rotation. This year we have a lead back and everyone can’t quit talking about damn backup RBs. “FIRE CLARK”.

Good post

Now explain App record against FBS teams the last 3 seasons?

Or App record against teams with winning records?

We are mediocre... according to the numbers.

I always have hope, but it's dwindling..... and I have been called Mr. Positive most of my life.

We have to start beating winning teams
Last edited by PhillyApp1 on Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:17 am

LKN_Lawyer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:15 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 am

When will you get it through that thick skull that it isn’t just this single game? It’s the multitude of games for the exact same issues.

And there are plenty of fans clamoring for Dabo’s head based on his stubbornness and refusal to adapt to NIL and the transfer portal like every other major program. It’s getting Clemson left behind and the media is making him look terrible for his positions on those topics, which can’t help recruiting.
Arguing with a wall at this point man. He said it himself, he hopes the program falls into mediocrity

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:18 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:50 am
The thing is, if Clark made the opposite calls than he did, the same people bitching and complaining would still be bitching and complaining.

I haven't gone back to watch fully (I will when I get back home), but from the highlights I've watched, I think the only thing questionable is the 3rd down pass to essentially give an extra timeout to Wyoming -- which ended up not being an issue since they blocked the FG any way.

Going for the FG was 100% the right call. Go up by 8 with an offense that couldn't do anything 95% of the night. Obviously execution wasn't the best.
And if that pass is completed, we are one yard away from ending it.
Unfortunately the confusion of trying to get a review cost us our final timeout.

We could have made the FG and gone up 8. Missed it, and been up 5 with 60+ yards to defend or punted it and had 80-90 yards to defend with a 5 point lead.

There’s a good chance that our defense shuts them down in any of these scenarios, but I’ve also watched enough college football and seen the improbable happen.

One other note, we had a lineman get injured on our extra point. I have no idea if that was any factor in the FG block, but it likely resulted in different personnel.

LKN_Lawyer

Unread post by LKN_Lawyer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:19 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 am
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
I looked back at 2016 as an example. We went 10-3 and people thought we were fantastic. We beat Savannah State, ODU who had just moved up, Idaho, New Mexico State, got throttled by Miami at home and beat some bad Belt teams. I'll rephrase the earlier question. Since the 2016 season how many "quality wins" do we have- the opponent finished with at least 7 wins (just use that as a base) and how many bad losses (the opponent finished with a .500 or worse final record)? I'm guessing that we have more bad losses than quality wins. We beat CCU when they were ranked. After that what?
This is a great post...

Clark coached against 3 ranked teams alone on one season. And the SBC the last 3 seasons has had multiple top 25 ranked teams, ULL, Coastal. It's a different tax bracket Clark is coaching in.
And we are still a better overall program than these programs and have proven multiple times that we should be beating them on the field (save the one ULL game where they just were clearly the better team).

No one is saying that we must win every game but it sure it is easier as a fanbase to handle loses when the coach is out there taking risks trying to win the game instead of having the same predictable issues arise.

It’s better to strike out swinging trying to put the ball in play than take strike 3 hoping to walk in the winning run.

What if Clark played for the win and Joey threw another pick 6 or Noel fumbled and returned for a TD? Then it's "OMG CLARK! GAME WAS IN HAND! JUST KICK THE FG!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" by the same exact people saying he should go for the win.

Both of those potential things happen WAY more often than a blocked FG. Let alone a blocked FG to take a perfect bounce into the defenders hands. Nobody could have expected what happen to happen. It was the first time in their history that kind of play happened at all. It just happened to be at a very critical time in the game against us.

There's no question we were the better team. But sometimes, the better team doesn't win.

Ultimately, this was on the execution of the players in the red zone, some weird stuff Wyoming was going in the middle on FG attempts (caught wind of what it was and it's not anywhere close to legal if that is what was happening), and an odd lateral play with another ball that hit Davis in the hands and he drops it.

The game plan was perfection. It was ran to perfection outside of 3 plays (4 if you count the last play blunder). Anybody saying the gameplan was poor either didn't pay attention or knows nothing about football. We took a team that usually has the ball for 40 minutes and held them to under 20... that is gameplan perfection! We flipped the script on them and they were lost.

We were not out coached, out schemed, etc. We were out executed in 3 crucial plays (which yes, I understand ultimately is the head coaches responsibility). If our players out execute them on literally 1 more play, we win.

Again, I get execution is on the head coach. But, it is also week 4 with a lot of new faces on the staff. It's going to take time to gel. This is not an excuse, (I am not excusing it. It needs to be fixed and fixed soon) but an understanding of why execution can be sloppy in some cases. It sucks, but it's going to happen. That's why there are 12 guaranteed games. The fire and emotion on the leaders of this team after the loss was something I haven't seen since 2017. We'll be fine.

And just remember -- although Clark adamantly denies it, this is a rebuild year.
I’m not focusing my ire as much on the FG at the end of the game (albeit the odds of making it were very low) but the settling for FGs inside the 10 early on in the game.

ASUFan4863

Unread post by ASUFan4863 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:22 am

LKN_Lawyer wrote:
ASUFan4863 wrote:

So just let him coach in perpetuity because he is an App guy huh? When would you be okay letting him go? Another .500 or below season? Two more? 3 more?

If he wasn’t an App guy, would you have the same feelings? When it comes to being the team’s HC, being a former player shouldn’t buy you any additional leeway, you either perform or you don’t.
Did I ever say that dumbass? Don’t put words in my mouth please. A .500 season would be the end of his tenure. However, it’s week 4 after losing 2 extremely tough road games against 2 very good teams and everyone is ready to fire him for doing the opposite of what they wanted to fire him for last year. It’s hilarious. It’s just pathetic people on this board like you.

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:23 am

We know we will have Clark through the season. Nothing will happen until that point. Until then I will root for the team until we run out of games to play. Last 2 home games are Marshall and Southern, those games will probably dictate his fate.

If something happens in the off-season, I'll still be here supporting whatever decisions are made.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:24 am

LKN_Lawyer wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:19 am
AppStateNews wrote:
LKN_Lawyer wrote:
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
This is a great post...

I’m not focusing my ire as much on the FG at the end of the game (albeit the odds of making it were very low) but the settling for FGs inside the 10 early on in the game.
And everything in my post except for the parts relating to the FG remain the same...

If we go for a TD early there and don't get it Clark is an idiot for going for it and chasing points early in the game...

Again, we had a defense that was completely dominating them all game. Going for FGs is the right call.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:27 am

The irony here is that folks who are coming down on Clark would love nothing more than to be proven wrong. One guy on the other side has already stated he wants the status quo to continue so HE can be proven right.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:27 am

So far this season, staff is ahead of last on both sides of the ball.
BLACK SATURDAY

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:29 am

Stop the personal attacks now!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:29 am

Obviously the outcome is not something we wanted. I did see a defense that was lightyears better than last season. I saw us move the ball against a good defense. We made 4 FGs so understand why the 5th one was attempted. Need to take the read option/pass backwards play out of the playbook. Need to work on our red zone offense. We have the receivers and RB’s to make it happen. Seems to be more of a play-calling issue, maybe overthinking it. Really need to avoid pulling a Texas State at ULM next week. There aren’t many easy wins on our schedule, so really need that one.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”