South Carolina

NattyBumppo'sRevenge
School: Appalachian State

Re: South Carolina

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:24 am

yosef69 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:09 pm
An interesting anecdote: app state is 21-0 with more than 1 week to prepare for a game.
This must exclude the first games of the season.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 am

appstatealum wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:42 pm
MrCraig wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:08 pm
I know the result of their game against each other, but how does USC compare to UNC? I know the transitive property of college football is bunk, but USC lost to UNC who lost to App. USC also lost by 20 to Tennessee and Missouri. I’m thinking this is very winnable.
USC is bigger and slower than UNC. This can't be a smash mouth kind of game from us, we need to spread them out and attack. Sutton and Virg can be big impact guys if Drink can feature them for once. If we just try to dink and dunk with Henni and Malik, we will have a lot of stalled drives
I agree, but I wonder if he does that to keep our offense on the field longer and not score too quickly to help the defense stay fresh. If our defense is on the field too much, they will get worn down by SC's run game.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:30 am

Gotta get down the field. North and south with these knuckleheads. We can’t send Evans up the middle.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:32 am

Like this Men:

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 am

They have a 6'4 corner that will be covering sutton, I'm sure. Interesting matchup. he had 2 picks from Jake Fromm in thier win over UGA. I say we get Virgil and Raykwon in the slot or out of the backfield and try to hit some mid-range slants and loosen up the coverage on Sutton, then go deep to him.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:29 am

Current weather shows a low of “31” in Columbia Saturday night. Normally we think colder weather is “advantage APP”. But now I’m not so sure.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:31 am

The Rock wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 am
They have a 6'4 corner that will be covering sutton, I'm sure. Interesting matchup. he had 2 picks from Jake Fromm in thier win over UGA. I say we get Virgil and Raykwon in the slot or out of the backfield and try to hit some mid-range slants and loosen up the coverage on Sutton, then go deep to him.
That CB, Israel Mukuamu, was great in the UGA game. Very worried about our passing game against him. Cause I agree with you, I'm sure he'll be paired up with Sutton.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:47 am

Put in a call to Robbie Price. He knows how to beat them.

Overcashed

Unread post by Overcashed » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:54 am

Oldlknapp wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:29 am
Current weather shows a low of “31” in Columbia Saturday night. Normally we think colder weather is “advantage APP”. But now I’m not so sure.
Just bitter cold probably still is an advantage, the cold along with 40mph winds is probably a wash.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:00 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:31 am
The Rock wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 am
That CB, Israel Mukuamu, was great in the UGA game. Very worried about our passing game against him. Cause I agree with you, I'm sure he'll be paired up with Sutton.
The do have some great individual talent in the secondary but they are feast or famine as a whole. They give up 295 through the air per game, 18 passing touchdowns given up....but they do have 11 picks. We have what will be the second best WR Core they have faced(Bama is 1 and they haven't had Clemson yet). There will be holes especially from the slot, I would think we would need to go with a quick passing game to try and neutralize Kinlaw and his friends on the line.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:09 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 am
appstatealum wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
I know the result of their game against each other, but how does USC compare to UNC? I know the transitive property of college football is bunk, but USC lost to UNC who lost to App. USC also lost by 20 to Tennessee and Missouri. I’m thinking this is very winnable.
USC is bigger and slower than UNC. This can't be a smash mouth kind of game from us, we need to spread them out and attack. Sutton and Virg can be big impact guys if Drink can feature them for once. If we just try to dink and dunk with Henni and Malik, we will have a lot of stalled drives
I agree, but I wonder if he does that to keep our offense on the field longer and not score too quickly to help the defense stay fresh. If our defense is on the field too much, they will get worn down by SC's run game.
True. Our LBs will have to be quick with reads and swarm Feaster. SC likes to stretch the line and let Feaster find the gaps that way so he can isolate a would be tackler. If our safeties can be patient and not get washed up, we can really take Feaster out
The Appalachian State

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:17 am

A little info:

Will Muschamp announced during his regularly scheduled teleconference Sunday night that tight end Nick Muse suffered a torn ACL and will miss the remainder of the season. He also announced that wide receiver Josh Vann broke his hand and will miss at least the rest of the regular season. It’s unknown whether Vann can return for a potential bowl game at this point.

Muse has caught 17 passes for 158 yards, while Vann has caught 19 passes for 171 yards. Neither player has recorded a receiving touchdown this season.

While that’s the bad news, Muschamp expects a host of players to be OK for Saturday’s game against Appalachian State. He expects Rico Dowdle, Dylan Wonnum, Tavien Feaster, Shi Smith, Damani Staley and A.J. Turner to be fine.

Having a healthy backfield will be huge for the Gamecocks.

South Carolina returns to action Saturday against Appalachian State. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. ET on ESPN2.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:35 pm

I feel the same way about this game as I did the UNC game. Just don't know how we stack up with USC until the game starts. Pulling for another big win.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:37 pm

appstatealum wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
You seem to write Henni and Malik off as big play threats. Fact is both of them have made big plays on deep balls. And not just one or two.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:50 pm

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:37 pm
appstatealum wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
You seem to write Henni and Malik off as big play threats. Fact is both of them have made big plays on deep balls. And not just one or two.
I'm with you on this. Hennigan and Malik have bailed us out NUMEROUS times this year. Both of them are clutch receivers and shouldn't be ignored. I'm all for getting some more opportunities for Sutton and Virgil, but let's not ignore the ones who got us here. When we spread the ball around, EVERYBODY benefits. Earlier in the season, teams were focused on defending Sutton....Henni stepped up! Now they're paying attention to Henni, so Sutton gets more opportunities. Malik has become a "go to" receiver as well in clutch situations. I do think Virgil is underused, but I don't think he has demonstrated that he is quite as reliable as the others...YET. I'd still like to see him on more deep routes...making DBs TRY to keep up with him.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:04 pm

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:47 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
I'm with you on this. Hennigan and Malik have bailed us out NUMEROUS times this year. Both of them are clutch receivers and shouldn't be ignored. I'm all for getting some more opportunities for Sutton and Virgil, but let's not ignore the ones who got us here. When we spread the ball around, EVERYBODY benefits. Earlier in the season, teams were focused on defending Sutton....Henni stepped up! Now they're paying attention to Henni, so Sutton gets more opportunities. Malik has become a "go to" receiver as well in clutch situations. I do think Virgil is underused, but I don't think he has demonstrated that he is quite as reliable as the others...YET. I'd still like to see him on more deep routes...making DBs TRY to keep up with him.
I was really just saying that both Henni and Malik are more than just “possession” receivers. Both have caught the long ball.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:08 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
MrCraig wrote:
I was really just saying that both Henni and Malik are more than just “possession” receivers. Both have caught the long ball.
Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I obviously agree, but in reading the original post, I had a bit of a "knee jerk" reaction because it seemed Henni and Malik were not considered "big impact" receivers. I think they are. I'm not disputing that Sutton should get more opportunities, and I've been wanting to see Virgil used more all year. I think we are fortunate to have an outstanding group of WRs.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:49 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:08 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:

Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I obviously agree, but in reading the original post, I had a bit of a "knee jerk" reaction because it seemed Henni and Malik were not considered "big impact" receivers. I think they are. I'm not disputing that Sutton should get more opportunities, and I've been wanting to see Virgil used more all year. I think we are fortunate to have an outstanding group of WRs.
Yep, we’re lucky to have so many guys who can get it done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”