• Birthdays

Ferrum

Stonewall
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1197 times
Been thanked: 857 times

Ferrum

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm

D 3 I believe so we likely learn little tonight. Perhaps the freshmen get significant PT. Lewis was pretty impressive Tuesday night.



NewApp
Posts: 5177
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 488 times
Contact:

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:11 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm
D 3 I believe so we likely learn little tonight. Perhaps the freshmen get significant PT. Lewis was pretty impressive Tuesday night.
FWIW, Ferrum was a Junior College while some of us were at App. Here's hoping we take care of business and then some.


If you can't take it, don't dish it out

AppinVA
Posts: 12071
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2000 9:41 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1693 times
Been thanked: 1551 times

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:00 pm

Apps win 82-56. Went about as expected, but it was sloppy in spots.


"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Appstate88
Posts: 1516
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:38 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 291 times
Been thanked: 645 times

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Congrats Coach and players on win #1 this season.



Stonewall
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1197 times
Been thanked: 857 times

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:16 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:11 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm
D 3 I believe so we likely learn little tonight. Perhaps the freshmen get significant PT. Lewis was pretty impressive Tuesday night.
FWIW, Ferrum was a Junior College while some of us were at App. Here's hoping we take care of business and then some.
Including my time. Seem to remember a couple of transfers on the football team way baaaack...



User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 14675
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 1622 times
Been thanked: 1509 times

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:28 am

Ferrum was a football and basketball powerhouse when a JC. It's most prominent alum in its D3 years has been Chris Warren. The Panthers have been most successful in baseball counting Billy Wagner among its alums.



ASU3432Mi
Posts: 820
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:43 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:31 am

Ferrum's in Franklin county. The moonshine capital of VA!



User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 14675
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 1622 times
Been thanked: 1509 times

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:09 am

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:31 am
Ferrum's in Franklin county. The moonshine capital of VA!
The movie Lawless was based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great ... al_of_1935



Stonewall
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:26 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1197 times
Been thanked: 857 times

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am

I was impressed by the Lewis's.We need to shoot at least 70% from the line however.



User avatar
asu66
Posts: 26119
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1221 times
Been thanked: 1445 times

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:47 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am
I was impressed by the Lewis's.We need to shoot at least 70% from the line however.
FT's are difference makers in a high percentage of games. I don't understand why today's kids don't get it. I mean... Game clock stops! Free points! No hands in your face! No elbows in your ribs! What's not to like about that?


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

EastHallApp
Posts: 5764
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2581 times
Been thanked: 2123 times

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:41 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:47 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am
I was impressed by the Lewis's.We need to shoot at least 70% from the line however.
FT's are difference makers in a high percentage of games. I don't understand why today's kids don't get it. I mean... Game clock stops! Free points! No hands in your face! No elbows in your ribs! What's not to like about that?
It’s not really a “today’s kids” thing. I can’t find current data, but as of a few years ago the overall FT% across college basketball had remained essentially level for 50 years. As persistent as the “fundamentals are a lost art” narrative is, it doesn’t hold up in this case.



Cro-Magnon App
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:25 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Western South Carolina
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Ferrum

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:59 pm

Use good mechanics (ball on finger pads, elbow tight, don't let off hand do much but balance, good lift, follow through) . Create a steady rhythm that works for you. Shoot it a lot.

Still, some have trouble. Hope they don't get to the line much. Coached high school ball for almost 40 years. Some do not want to practice FTs. It's not exciting. The good ones love to.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests

    Most users ever online was 1927 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:27 am

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests