• Birthdays

Mack Brown calls for Playoff Expansion-due to opt outs

EastHallApp
Posts: 6119
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2762 times
Been thanked: 2372 times

Re: Mack Brown calls for Playoff Expansion-due to opt outs

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:08 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:49 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 am
Honestly can't understand how people watch these blowouts year after year and conclude that we need MORE teams in the playoff.
Parity increases as 5⭐️ California kids stay in California as the PAC12 now has a guaranteed spot in the playoff. Less talent is concentrated at 2 or 3 schools in the south east.

Yes, the teams that are winning will find ways to win, because winning is what they do...they’re just plain better at it, but when every single national pundit says “I can pretty much tell you who will be in the playoff in 2024” something is wrong.
Per 247, there are 29 4/5* recruits this year from California, 26 of whom have committed/signed. 20 of those went to the Pac-12, including 10 to USC.

Michigan got two. No other non-Pac 12 school got more than one.



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 7681
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 2540 times
Been thanked: 1294 times

Re: Mack Brown calls for Playoff Expansion-due to opt outs

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:22 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm
For the guys who have a fat paycheck coming, I don't blame them at all. That is life changing money. All the arm chair heroes here would mostly likely do the same thing in their shoes. You can sit behind your keyboard and blab that you wouldn't all you want to.
It's not quitting on the team, it's preparing for your job promotion.

Lets imagine you work for the government on a contract. Hell we are a teacher school lets roll with that. Teachers are under contracts for the full school year. If a teacher had someone offer them a job earning 3 million a year should the teacher break their contract to take that job? Should they be held to the contract they signed to teach through the end of the year and pray and hope that 3 million dollar job is still there? What if they decide to work out the rest of their contract at the job is already filled? They just missed out on life altering money.

You guys have to be more realistic about this. You are looking at it through the eyes of fans who are seeing players as products for the university to make money off of and entertain you with instead of people looking out for their futures.
To complete the analogy, in North Carolina public schools I do have to give 30 days notice or risk losing my teaching license. That may not be a big deal if the new job does not require it but the requirement is there.

I am not how that changes your point but I did want to mention that.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

User avatar
APPdiesel
Posts: 1575
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:53 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 363 times
Been thanked: 712 times
Contact:

Re: Mack Brown calls for Playoff Expansion-due to opt outs

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:26 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:08 pm
Per 247, there are 29 4/5* recruits this year from California, 26 of whom have committed/signed. 20 of those went to the Pac-12, including 10 to USC.

Michigan got two. No other non-Pac 12 school got more than one.
Cool it with the facts, guy! :lol:

I want expansion because I want more playoff football and I want every school in the FBS to have a shot at a title. Not just the same 3+1 every year.


"Sports talk's most decent producer" on ESPN Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Yosef84
Posts: 2958
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 1415 times

Re: Mack Brown calls for Playoff Expansion-due to opt outs

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 am
Honestly can't understand how people watch these blowouts year after year and conclude that we need MORE teams in the playoff.
If they expand the play-offs there will be only one reason. Money.
The rationale for expanding the playoffs is not based on the competitiveness for #1. It has to do with providing a valid path to the championship for all teams in the division (including G5) rather than pre-determining that those teams could never win it. It also has to do with the fact that there have consistently been teams excluded who had a better resume than others who were included. The argument for Texas A&M is not that they might beat Bama. It had to do with their comparison with Notre Dame.

I am a firm believer that the playoffs should expand to 8 with one guaranteed spot for G5. I think more teams than that is not necessary to address the above concerns. Of course you're welcome to disagree, but discounting the proposal based on a presumed profit motive seems pretty superficial.



EastHallApp
Posts: 6119
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 2762 times
Been thanked: 2372 times

Re: Mack Brown calls for Playoff Expansion-due to opt outs

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:15 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am
TheMoody1 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 am
Honestly can't understand how people watch these blowouts year after year and conclude that we need MORE teams in the playoff.
If they expand the play-offs there will be only one reason. Money.
The rationale for expanding the playoffs is not based on the competitiveness for #1. It has to do with providing a valid path to the championship for all teams in the division (including G5) rather than pre-determining that those teams could never win it. It also has to do with the fact that there have consistently been teams excluded who had a better resume than others who were included. The argument for Texas A&M is not that they might beat Bama. It had to do with their comparison with Notre Dame.

I am a firm believer that the playoffs should expand to 8 with one guaranteed spot for G5. I think more teams than that is not necessary to address the above concerns. Of course you're welcome to disagree, but discounting the proposal based on a presumed profit motive seems pretty superficial.
I get this point, but if you can't make an argument for any possible #4 team that would be competitive with #1, to me that makes it really hard to say you need to include more teams. Maybe the sport should look at ways to address the growing lack of competitiveness rather than simply throwing in more sacrificial lambs.

p.s. Cincy didn't play a good enough schedule to be in the top 4. Sorry but it's true. Not a single P5, and their league wasn't as good as usual. They were fortunate to be ranked ahead of Coastal. Next year they play Notre Dame and Indiana. Run the table against that plus the AAC and then they have a great case.

p.p.s. Notre Dame had a better resume than A&M, and should still be ahead of them after the bowls.



Yosef84
Posts: 2958
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 1415 times

Re: Mack Brown calls for Playoff Expansion-due to opt outs

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:56 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:15 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am
TheMoody1 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 am
Honestly can't understand how people watch these blowouts year after year and conclude that we need MORE teams in the playoff.
If they expand the play-offs there will be only one reason. Money.
The rationale for expanding the playoffs is not based on the competitiveness for #1. It has to do with providing a valid path to the championship for all teams in the division (including G5) rather than pre-determining that those teams could never win it. It also has to do with the fact that there have consistently been teams excluded who had a better resume than others who were included. The argument for Texas A&M is not that they might beat Bama. It had to do with their comparison with Notre Dame.

I am a firm believer that the playoffs should expand to 8 with one guaranteed spot for G5. I think more teams than that is not necessary to address the above concerns. Of course you're welcome to disagree, but discounting the proposal based on a presumed profit motive seems pretty superficial.
I get this point, but if you can't make an argument for any possible #4 team that would be competitive with #1, to me that makes it really hard to say you need to include more teams. Maybe the sport should look at ways to address the growing lack of competitiveness rather than simply throwing in more sacrificial lambs.

p.s. Cincy didn't play a good enough schedule to be in the top 4. Sorry but it's true. Not a single P5, and their league wasn't as good as usual. They were fortunate to be ranked ahead of Coastal. Next year they play Notre Dame and Indiana. Run the table against that plus the AAC and then they have a great case.

p.p.s. Notre Dame had a better resume than A&M, and should still be ahead of them after the bowls.
The problem with that is that it puts us back in the situation of a pre-determined champion rather than determining the champion on the field. Schedules are set years in advance so the strength of schedule can fluctuate drastically from the time an opponent is scheduled to the time the game happens. The conference champion from each of the P5 conferences should be an auto qualifier. There should be a guaranteed inclusion for at least one G5 team. That provides a valid path, which currently doesn't exist. If App had played our planned schedule and gone undefeated against Wisconsin and Wake and the new/improved SunBelt, we still wouldn't have had a path to the championship. I'm not saying we would have beaten Bama in that scenario, I'm saying we should have the opportunity to determine that on the field....just like every other sport in college athletics already has.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 262 users online :: 0 registered, 1 hidden and 261 guests

    Most users ever online was 1927 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:27 am

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 261 guests