Who?

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Who?

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:39 am

I am in the low % with a bunch of other people that are retiring in Boone when the time comes. Given the building and growth, it appears that many people are relocating to the high country or investing in rental property.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

RunawayJM

Unread post by RunawayJM » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:39 am

A few guys I’d talk to:

Duke’s DC: Tyler Santucci
https://goduke.com/sports/football/rost ... tucci/4585

Duke’s OC: Kevin Johns
https://goduke.com/sports/football/rost ... johns/4548

Kansas’ OC: Andy Kotelnicki
https://kuathletics.com/coach/andy-kotelnicki/

No idea if any of those guys are serious options but they have overseen remarkable turnarounds at non traditional football schools. They are young and Duke/Kansas don’t pay coordinators like big schools.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:48 am

If there is an opening , there will plenty of good candidates. I believe DG is feeling the heat as we speak due to his pushing the BOT to extend Clark , prematurely two years ago.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:50 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:54 pm
Y’all think we need to play AD.

That’s the ADs job and from what hat I’ve seen and heard he knows it’s time.
This is the first I’ve read that DG has Clark in the hot seat. What’re his considerations/point of no return for making the call (other than the Dec 1 buyout decrease)?

Is it a losing record? Is it 7-6, including a bowl game win? is it a decrease in national tv appearances and Yosef club donations? Or did a deep pocket booster say they’ll front the money?

Now I wonder if he’s already started the search…

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:57 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:05 pm
MtnMan14 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:00 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:36 pm
No we hire a real firm and do a nationwide coaching search

We will have a ton of candidates. We are still a premier g5 brand we get 34k on a Tuesday.

It’ll probably be someone most App fans have never heard of, like Drink
Lol we did not have 34k. Maybe 22k or so. I was at the game. Lots of empty seats. Tickets sold sure, but not butts in seats.
Tickets sold is all that matters
When it comes to money that is true but attendance refers to how many actually showed up. They announced 34, 252 attendance and I think his point is that was not the attendance. I don't think it was really 22k though because the hill was overflowing. There were enough on the hill to easily fill all the empty seats. I think it was more like 30,000.

I know the numbers are inflated with the electronic tickets. A lot of people had no shows but because they had the electronic tickets on phone they were scanning those extras to pad the numbers. I heard 2 others do that when I was coming through the gate so I bet a lot more were doing it.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:01 pm

VNova wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:50 pm
yosef69 wrote:

This is the first I’ve read that DG has Clark in the hot seat. What’re his considerations/point of no return for making the call (other than the Dec 1 buyout decrease)?

Is it a losing record? Is it 7-6, including a bowl game win? is it a decrease in national tv appearances and Yosef club donations? Or did a deep pocket booster say they’ll front the money?

I heard he thinks so as well. They did not increase the buyout with it so they could cut bate freely after 2024 or do it this year without an increased cost. I just hope we don't waste money getting a search firm. He could take 2 hours out of his day and do a search for names to consider for free. I personally don't want a search firm or agents dictating our search.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:11 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:01 pm
VNova wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:50 pm
yosef69 wrote:

I heard he thinks so as well. They did not increase the buyout with it so they could cut bate freely after 2024 or do it this year without an increased cost. I just hope we don't waste money getting a search firm. He could take 2 hours out of his day and do a search for names to consider for free. I personally don't want a search firm or agents dictating our search.
I have not heard anything related to DG sharing Coach Clark is on the hot seat. Is this the infamous un-named source...or is this the same source that Noel was in the doghouse 😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Tru2ASU

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:43 pm

If it's not Ponce, that will probably hurt with a lot of the recruits next season. Next coach better be ready to hit the road, and the transfer portal.

I'm all for hiring outside of the App bubble. I have a top 5 I will save for when it happens.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:51 pm

If the decision was made to part ways I would probably be indifferent. But if we are firing people who lost that Coastal game, let’s add a couple players to the list.

We have some real talent but I have observed some glaring weaknesses on the field especially the past two games. Those weaknesses have cost us big time in the two games we should have won.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:32 pm

311neers wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:52 pm
Daniel Jeremiah.
do this so I can eat this alive in 12 months. might as well hire Jay Bilas in Holmes Dome... clowns on TV are talking head and are clueless on the work hours of coaching.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:34 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:39 am
I am in the low % with a bunch of other people that are retiring in Boone when the time comes. Given the building and growth, it appears that many people are relocating to the high country or investing in rental property.
Move to Jefferson not Boone.....

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:36 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:18 pm
I've spent a lot of money on this program over the years. I've gone 2 seasons now without buying my season tickets. Last year hurt my heart a little, this year it was easier. I still travel to away games and make a lot of home games, but Clark hasn't provided me with a "I must be there for that" type of feeling. I can sit at home and be pissed off in the comfort of my own home versus that miserable.drive down the mountain when we choke a game away.
That's not Clark, that's just common sense of comfort of home feeling, not driving 2 hours home after the game etc. once you experience a decade of games it's all the same no matter the coach, many people leave at 1/2 time.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:43 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:48 am
If there is an opening , there will plenty of good candidates. I believe DG is feeling the heat as we speak due to his pushing the BOT to extend Clark , prematurely two years ago.
Doug Gillin was not even a finalist for the AD job, Hunter Yeaurchik, at the time was at Houston was the top choice and he pulled out, now he is Arkansas AD, next up was Mike Biddy from Wake, he got the Furman job and now is at Army. Rick Beasley was a fake candidate, Sherri "Big Bird" Everts didn't want him for many reasons, there was a female from Texas AM, she was so bad she removed herself from consideration, she ended up at Bill and Mary she fumble her job so poorly she is done forever in athletics, then Dougie came along as 5th choice and won the job... MakeAnImpact he said.

I am sure they will be candidates but negotiations and campus visits will separate the next Head Coach, some with good money jobs will think twice before moving to Boone, it ain't for everyone.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:28 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:32 pm
311neers wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:52 pm
Daniel Jeremiah.
do this so I can eat this alive in 12 months. might as well hire Jay Bilas in Holmes Dome... clowns on TV are talking head and are clueless on the work hours of coaching.
You’ll get your turn. Unfortunately, I’ve been eating the past 4 years alive

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:31 pm

Someone convince me App shouldn’t just promote Ponce. He’s a good OC, a very good recruiter, despite being 3-3, App is in the top 25 nationally in yards and points per game. He could be head coach and OC like Drink was, which opens up the ability to have a special teams coach (an area App has been sorely lacking in). It would probably keep a lot of the recruits currently signed who are supposed to be really good according to 24/7.

Then your real question becomes DC and support staff.

I’m also very in favor of finding someone completely outside the App family tree, but Ponce seems like a good hire.

DenverOfTheEast

Unread post by DenverOfTheEast » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:34 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:31 pm
Someone convince me App shouldn’t just promote Ponce. He’s a good OC, a very good recruiter, despite being 3-3, App is in the top 25 nationally in yards and points per game. He could be head coach and OC like Drink was, which opens up the ability to have a special teams coach (an area App has been sorely lacking in). It would probably keep a lot of the recruits currently signed who are supposed to be really good according to 24/7.

I’m also very in favor of finding someone completely outside the App family tree, but Ponce seems like a good hire.
Lance Ware, not sure Ponce can balance it all, he's always been in the booth. being on sidelines and booth are totally different and it's a different focus,

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:39 pm

I like the Ponce idea. I’d also keep Lance on next staff.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:03 pm

MtnMan14 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:14 am
BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:05 pm
MtnMan14 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:00 pm
BallantyneApp wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:36 pm
No we hire a real firm and do a nationwide coaching search

We will have a ton of candidates. We are still a premier g5 brand we get 34k on a Tuesday.

It’ll probably be someone most App fans have never heard of, like Drink
Lol we did not have 34k. Maybe 22k or so. I was at the game. Lots of empty seats. Tickets sold sure, but not butts in seats.
Tickets sold is all that matters
Yeah which will end after we have another abysmal season. Absolutely no way we sell out seasons again next year. Unfortunately as a G5 you have to strike while the iron is hot. We’re doing the exact opposite.
A lot of people said that about this year. The thinking was that without UNC coming to town many of the people that bought the season tickets would not renew but that never happened and instead we sold out season tickets again.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:32 pm

MrCraig wrote:

I think the offense has been the most discouraging. I hate watching this offense because a few small tweaks and it would be a very good team. We can throw, We can Catch, We can run. We need plays to confuse or at least freeze a few defenders. We are SOOOO predictable on offense and we still almost win. Our zone run does not work because of crashing ends. We need to keep them honest.

LKN_Lawyer

Unread post by LKN_Lawyer » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:09 pm

DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:34 pm
MrCraig wrote:

Lance Ware, not sure Ponce can balance it all, he's always been in the booth. being on sidelines and booth are totally different and it's a different focus,
A guy who has never coached a down at any collegiate level, at any position? Get real. Leading Shelby HS to a few 2A state championships isn’t FBS. I think Lance would tell you he isn’t qualified

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”