AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:06 pm
Bootsy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:47 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:48 pm
704App wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:40 pm
Kelly put Notre Dame on probation for illegally contacting players. If you think that is the extent he, and any other P4 coach with a shot at the natty, go to win, cool, you're allowed to believe that.

But don't get all defensive asking for proof knowing full well there won't be proof. That's like asking for proof I took a shit this morning.. I mean, I did it, but it's long gone and can't be found.
Here is an article to what you are talking about: https://sports.yahoo.com/notre-dame-vio ... 35374.html

I can see both sides here. Illegal contact does not equal paying off players though. Some think if you are willing to break one rule then you break others but this is minor. Like I said before, I am not going to die on the hill either way but nothing would surprise me.
Football season cannot get here soon enough...
Agreed. When someone else brought up the illegal contact I searched and thought that was very minor. Football season will get here quicker than it seems right now. The summer always flies by.
It is almost time for the threads of unrealistic expectations.

Saint3333

Re: G5 Poll

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon May 13, 2024 3:49 pm

If winning one championship in five years is now unrealistic…

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:12 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:41 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
704App wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 12:40 pm
Kelly put Notre Dame on probation for illegally contacting players. If you think that is the extent he, and any other P4 coach with a shot at the natty, go to win, cool, you're allowed to believe that.

But don't get all defensive asking for proof knowing full well there won't be proof. That's like asking for proof I took a shit this morning.. I mean, I did it, but it's long gone and can't be found.
Here is an article to what you are talking about: https://sports.yahoo.com/notre-dame-vio ... 35374.html

I can see both sides here. Illegal contact does not equal paying off players though. Some think if you are willing to break one rule then you break others but this is minor. Like I said before, I am not going to die on the hill either way but nothing would surprise me.
Agreed. When someone else brought up the illegal contact I searched and thought that was very minor. Football season will get here quicker than it seems right now. The summer always flies by.
What do you think will be unrealistic? For me it would be going undefeated and win a CFP game. I do think it is realistic to expect 9-3 or 10-2, win the Sun Belt title game, and win a bowl game if we don't get in the CFP.

I believe the preseason magazines that come out later this month and in June will all pick App to win the Sun Belt. Winning the league is completely realistic to me because we return Joey, coaching turnover around the league, and all the star players, especially at QB, that are now gone.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon May 13, 2024 7:39 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:12 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

What do you think will be unrealistic? For me it would be going undefeated and win a CFP game. I do think it is realistic to expect 9-3 or 10-2, win the Sun Belt title game, and win a bowl game if we don't get in the CFP.

I believe the preseason magazines that come out later this month and in June will all pick App to win the Sun Belt. Winning the league is completely realistic to me because we return Joey, coaching turnover around the league, and all the star players, especially at QB, that are now gone.
Skill players are only as good as the guys in the trenches. We have definite question marks on OL and maybe lacking some depth on the D-Line....
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:41 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I don’t put expectations out on a record because a) I can’t control the outcomes and 2) this team for game 1 can look very different in game 5 and up to game 12. I’m glad to have Wiles but he isn’t Joey and this team goes as far as Joey takes them. Don’t get me wrong, I love the potential of this team, but they, like every team, has weaknesses so if they come up on an opponent that can exploit those weaknesses, then who knows.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:44 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:39 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

Skill players are only as good as the guys in the trenches. We have definite question marks on OL and maybe lacking some depth on the D-Line....
It definitely does but a lot of schools in the league have new faces as well. I would say that before the portal era I would consider us as no chance with having to bring in a lot of new faces on the OL and DL but that is normal these days. It sounds like the coaches are happy with the additions so I am optimistic.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:41 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

I don’t put expectations out on a record because a) I can’t control the outcomes and 2) this team for game 1 can look very different in game 5 and up to game 12. I’m glad to have Wiles but he isn’t Joey and this team goes as far as Joey takes them. Don’t get me wrong, I love the potential of this team, but they, like every team, has weaknesses so if they come up on an opponent that can exploit those weaknesses, then who knows.
My guess of 9-3 or 10-2 is if the transfers are as good as the expectation and we stay healthy. We are definitely going as far as Joey can take us. Because of the unknowns I think going 13-0 and winning a CFP game is unrealistic but I do firmly believe this team can win 9-10 games. We will see though.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:31 pm

BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

I think that we are fine on the DL. Replacing 4 starters on the offensive front will be a work in progress through fall camp. A lot of inexperienced guys to fill holes.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon May 13, 2024 8:36 pm

This was promised as “ The Year”. Of course a lot has changed , and is changing, constantly.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:42 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:31 pm
BambooRdApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

I think that we are fine on the DL. Replacing 4 starters on the offensive front will be a work in progress through fall camp. A lot of inexperienced guys to fill holes.
It will definitely take them some time but my hope is by week 6 or 7 they are gelling. The OL is the biggest question mark for me but I believe in Coach Cummings and our head coach was an OL coach so I expect them to be pretty good by the end of the season.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:55 am

It’s May and our expectation is to win the conference.

- Shawn Clark

I’ll post again in June for those in the back.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue May 14, 2024 5:31 am

In my experience, leading people in performance-based roles is about setting clear expectations, removing obstacles (when/where possible) and focusing on what's within your circle of control.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:42 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:55 am
It’s May and our expectation is to win the conference.

- Shawn Clark

I’ll post again in June for those in the back.
Expectations are not allowed.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue May 14, 2024 6:06 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

My guess of 9-3 or 10-2 is if the transfers are as good as the expectation and we stay healthy. We are definitely going as far as Joey can take us. Because of the unknowns I think going 13-0 and winning a CFP game is unrealistic but I do firmly believe this team can win 9-10 games. We will see though.
Improvement over last year would be a conference championship, which I'd say is within our grasp.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:31 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 6:06 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Improvement over last year would be a conference championship, which I'd say is within our grasp.
100% agreed. While Clark's stated goal of winning the league every year is not always going to happen we have a good enough team to feel it is within reach for sure this year.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:58 am

There is a lot to be excited about for sure. The OL needs to be worked out. Clark is optimistic. For reference, this is what you are likely going to see in terms of rotation and experience.

Samuel, Scroggs, Gentry and Ramsey are your veterans. Then you have Sweatt (0 snaps), Shrader (1 start), Langlo (0 starts and didn’t play football last year), Burgess (1 game as a true freshman), Hollifield (0 offensive snaps), Dewerk (1 game in 4 years), Marotta (0 FBS snaps). Plus 4 true Freshmen.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:00 am

If you were to look back at the film of every game and isolated it strictly on plays that Joey made how many of the passes he completed would one say that we haven't necessarily had another quarterback who would have done the same for around 50% of them? I know that's wordy and maybe confusing but many want to say he's potentially one of the best throwing quarterbacks we have had. I don't like to really compare because guys are different and offer different aspects. We know who our best all around was so he's not in this discussion IMO. Is Joey the best we have had in like 15 seasons?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:09 am

I would give Chase a slight nod over Joey but would happily amend that after the season. Both have exceptional arm talent, but Chase is/was a bit more polished the Joey. That’s understandable as Chase had more reps at the FBS level.

An unpopular opinion I know, but I can’t put AE in this conversation as he played in a different era against a different level of competition.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 am

CB ran like molasses.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:24 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 am
CB ran like molasses.
True. But he could fit a pass into some tight windows.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”