Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wyoming Discussion

Appmountaineers19
School: Other

Re: Wyoming Discussion

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:02 pm

Sometimes players make mistakes or fail at what they are supposed to do on a certain play. That happened twice last night and it cost APP the game. Yes there was a few timeout miscues but no way this loss should be solely be pinned on coaches- players need to be accountable in this situation as well.

Black Saturday
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:03 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:40 am
When we got destroyed by WKU in the bowl game I told the family that was the beginning of a downhill spiral for App State Football. Then last year going 6-6, beating ole Bob Morris shouldn't even have counted, losing to stink the way we did made me feel even stronger that App football was not where it should be. Bottom line Clark wins 2 of every 3 games. For some that's fine, for diehard App fans that's not satisfactory and I feel like even Clark would admit that. I see another 6-7 win season ahead of us. I'm still wearing my App State t-shirt today and will continue to support the players but if overall coaching doesn't get any better I will be receptive to a HC change at the end of the season.
Watching a stint of Cincinatti and Oklahoma yesterday Satterfield only won 2 out of 3 games at APP according to the announcers - fwiw

Vegas has had APP as an underdog in the UNC and Wyoming games. OK

Last season had a lot of bone headed staff calls, not seeing that this year so far 1/3 of the way through the season. They have cleaned up that part of the game. The players aren't getting drive ending penalties or giving opponents drive extending penalties. We've been in position to be 4-0, UNC and Wyoming are good teams and aren't bad losses, although losses.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:09 pm

appst89 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:50 am
DenverOfTheEast wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:27 am
How many on here bragged during last week working at their factory job or state paying job or in the Dook Power break room about beating in state rival EZU??

Thank you Clark!
This may be the most condescending post in the history of this board.
Agreed. No place for this. Reads like a UNC fan on an App message board. Unfortunate.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:12 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:02 pm
Sometimes players make mistakes or fail at what they are supposed to do on a certain play. That happened twice last night and it cost APP the game. Yes there was a few timeout miscues but no way this loss should be solely be pinned on coaches- players need to be accountable in this situation as well.
The only thing proving this statement correct is that they only had three time outs to miscue. Few is three, and several is four to seven. How many times did CBS show a close-up of Ryan looking to the sideline waiting on a play? More than several. Quite often, it became a Family Guy extended joke — the type that goes from funny to painful.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:14 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:12 pm
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
The only thing proving this statement correct is that they only had three time outs to miscue. Few is three, and several is four to seven. How many times did CBS show a close-up of Ryan looking to the sideline waiting on a play? More than several. Quite often, it became a Family Guy extended joke — the type that goes from funny to painful.
At least one of those times was because Clark vetoed the inside zone read you guys all claim is the only thing Clark knows how to run...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:14 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Who's Ryan? Coaches weren't out there for the blocked FG or blown assignments. Players need to be held accountable.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:19 pm

Coaching matters at the most elite programs in this sport. Alabama when though times after Bear Bryant, Oklahoma did after Barry Switzer, SC did/has after Pete Carroll. Craig Bohl makes $1.5 million a year; that's roughly 3× what Clark makes. I have had questions about Clark from day one, and I have taken ($#)it on the board for that entire time. I assume if you want Clark gone, you want better. Better costs. We can't complain about a per seat donation requirement or $5 water and expect better. Not that this is anything like a fair comparison, but think of what its cost LSU to replace coachs that WON national championships.

PhillyApp1

Unread post by PhillyApp1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:25 pm

3 things I noticed

1- coach Bohl had the long TD run in his back pocket waiting because the game was within reach.

2- the blocked FG was blocked on a 2on1 with a new online man I believe

3- Bohl had the balls to blitz the last play, a screen or QB run should have beaten it, IMHO

Coach Bohl knew if he kept the game close, he had a chance.
We kept the game close by play calling that was working but not successful in TD's...... FCS coaching style will not win in FBS ....
Score as often as possible and kill the opponents will wins.... We kept them in the game, period!!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:28 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:14 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
At least one of those times was because Clark vetoed the inside zone read you guys all claim is the only thing Clark knows how to run...
If you know all that, you are waaaaay too much on the inside to be mixing it up with a bunch of fans on a message board. And I’ll stop there.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:28 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:25 pm
3 things I noticed

1- coach Bohl had the long TD run in his back pocket waiting because the game was within reach.

2- the blocked FG was blocked on a 2on1 with a new online man I believe

3- Bohl had the balls to blitz the last play, a screen or QB run should have beaten it, IMHO

We kept the game close by play calling that was working but not successful in TD's...... FCS coaching style will not win in FBS ....
Score as often as possible and kill the opponents will wins.... We kept them in the game, period!!!
How do you keep a long TD in your back pocket? It was the same play ran probably 5 times during the game.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:29 pm

PhillyApp1 wrote:

And they called the screen. Everybody on our sideline knew the pressure was coming. Screen was set up perfectly. JA just didn't read it right.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:31 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:28 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
If you know all that, you are waaaaay too much on the inside to be mixing it up with a bunch of fans on a message board. And I’ll stop there.
As I stated more than once, I was on the sidelines. I heard the communication. I won't repeat what Clark said on a public forum because I want to keep it family friendly, but Clark was adamant we were not running that play against the stacked box.
tAPPedInSports.net

Appmountaineers19

Unread post by Appmountaineers19 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:32 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:29 pm
PhillyApp1 wrote:

And they called the screen. Everybody on our sideline knew the pressure was coming. Screen was set up perfectly. JA just didn't read it right.
Hey ASN - I do have a question. These backwards passes that JA was attempting down the field. Was he adlibing or did the coaches say if its there go for it?

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:33 pm

:lol: Clark had the same long TD play in his back pocket, the Wyoming defense just didn't let it happen.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:35 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:31 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
Appmountaineers19 wrote:
As I stated more than once, I was on the sidelines. I heard the communication. I won't repeat what Clark said on a public forum because I want to keep it family friendly, but Clark was adamant we were not running that play against the stacked box.
To hear all that you’d have to either be in earshot in a loud stadium where yelling doesn’t go as far as a whisper in a reading room or on the headset. Either way, my point stands.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:37 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

In games like this there is so much to nitpick. I think with how we have won I understand the frustrations. There are certainly some crazy statements but I think the bottom line is that everyone who loves the program wants to win.

When you dominate the stats you expect to at least come out with a win. Some blame Shawn for the field goals but we had to get points. You know we can't win with just field goals but you also can't get inside the 20 and not get any points so I get it.

Serious question on him vetoing a call. How often does Shawn do that? Those who blame Shawn for appearing to love that call have to remember that Ponce is making the calls. I would be curious to hear the thought process of Ponce in a lot of these situations. I wonder what he saw that he made that play call and what Shawn was seeing that made him decide to veto it?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:37 pm

Appmountaineers19 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:32 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
PhillyApp1 wrote:

Hey ASN - I do have a question. These backwards passes that JA was attempting down the field. Was he adlibing or did the coaches say if its there go for it?
The play is designed to keep the lateral there, yes.

It's up to Joey to make the read if he's going to keep it or toss it. With the Davis one, JA made the right read. Davis just dropped it and watched it.

I haven't gone back to watch yet, but from my perspective, he didn't make the right read the next time. I couldn't tell for sure, but it also looked like it wasn't the same play call and JA just made a split second decision after seeing an "open" guy instead of running...
tAPPedInSports.net

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:38 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:35 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

To hear all that you’d have to either be in earshot in a loud stadium where yelling doesn’t go as far as a whisper in a reading room or on the headset. Either way, my point stands.
I heard Clark as I was standing next to him. And again, I'm not going to repeat what he said, but I knew what the play call he was referring to was and I know the words he said to veto said play call.

Couldn't care less if you believe me or not. It doesn't impact me in any way if you do or don't.

It also wasn't that loud in there...
tAPPedInSports.net

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:42 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:38 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

I heard Clark as I was standing next to him. And again, I'm not going to repeat what he said, but I knew what the play call he was referring to was and I know the words he said to veto said play call.

Couldn't care less if you believe me or not. It doesn't impact me in any way if you do or don't. Pushing seems to be extremely effective and of course legal now. Rather like those odds versus trying to gain a couple of yards handing the ball off 4 deep in the backfield with the defense knowing what the hell you are going to do anyway

How about finding out why we seldom if any don't go under center in some short yardage crucial situations.
Last edited by Black Saturday on Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:43 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:38 pm
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Couldn't care less if you believe me or not. It doesn't impact me in any way if you do or don't.

I’m going to let it go.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”